• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

GHod bless Britain

Why the fudge has this turned into a labour vs conservative thing? I'm not great fan of the conservatives but this is flimflam. The information available at the time was crap, based on easy to debunk lies. We had neither UNSC backing, UN inspector backing, general UN backing or our own population's backing. Tony Blair was a prick of the highest order, who you could hardly call a champion for the working class and who has caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands following the orders of his two superiors, GHod and Bush. And you want to turn this into a labour vs Tory argument?

Well political agendas are rife in this thread, but as you say it has nothing to do with politics. Its about a leader of this country taking us into a illegal war on a lie, and causing the deaths of far to many people because of it. I hope his GHod ( whoever it might be) turns his back on him and others who backed him.

Denmark's labour PM is the worlds biggest hypocrite too.

- When she and her husband (A certain Mr. Kinnock, ring a bell?) needed to co-own their luxury central city pad, he declared to be a Danish resident (you have to be a resident to own real estate). Very nice neighbourhood, no dirty workers there. Let alone immigrants, good grief !
- When he had to pay income tax, he claimed then to be a Swiss resident
- When our honourable PM then had to pay her own income tax, she was married to a man, who had no accountable income tax in Denmark. Yet she found it perfectly sound, to submit her taxes not only with her own personal income deductible sum (a base level of annual income free of tax, approx 6000Ôé¼ per capita) but also used her husbands deductible sum (a tax advantage intended for married couples, where they can share each others deductible base sum) - ergo: They claimed he wasn't a danish tax subject when paying, yet when enjoying advantages she claimed he was. And got away with it.
- The finally she won an election on promoting public schools (everything from "enforcing" them to banning private schools outright, depending on interpretation) she moved her kids out of public school to the country's most prestigious non-boarding school. Along with several other heads of the new labour government.

All in all - Just another day in the life of Labour.

Are you really naive enough to think that only Labour politicians have their noses in the troughs?

Saddam was the most secular leader in the Middle East, beyond others like Mubarak and Assad, and certainly more than the extreme Gulf monarchies or the nutters who've taken hold of Iran.

That may be, but the principle still remains - a nutjob with an itchy mustard gas finger needs getting rid of. Any loss of life is a tough one but compared to what he would have done in perpetuity? I'll get rid thanks.

We don't have a responsibility to spread democracy. How many times have we tried to implement democracy through violence? How many times has it actually worked?

Just because it didn't work, doesn't mean we should stop trying. And of course we have the responsibility to spread it - the ability to choose how one is governed and by whom must be the most basic of human rights. Without it, nobody has any method of appeal/control to gain the rest of the basic human rights people should be afforded.

We only get involved under the banner of 'democracy' when it suits us, geopolitically, strategically and in terms of natural resources. For others, who cares right? No-one gives a fudge about those, where's their oil? Where's their threat to an ally? They can be allied to die as they wish.

I agree to some extent with that although I don't think it's quite as cynical as you make out. The UN has to hold much of the blame here as far as I'm concerned.

They sit on their hands for so long, desperately trying to please Russia (who are usually busy arming those we are trying to rid the world of) whilst millions are dying when we have the ability to stop it. See Rwanda as a perfect example. If there was ever a need for outside help that was it yet the UN spent all their time side-stepping the word 'genocide' so as not to be obliged to step in.

Why the fudge has this turned into a labour vs conservative thing? I'm not great fan of the conservatives but this is flimflam. The information available at the time was crap, based on easy to debunk lies. We had neither UNSC backing, UN inspector backing, general UN backing or our own population's backing. Tony Blair was a prick of the highest order, who you could hardly call a champion for the working class and who has caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands following the orders of his two superiors, GHod and Bush. And you want to turn this into a labour vs Tory argument?

As I mentioned above, they intentionally side-stepped the word genocide for months over Rwanda. How can you have any faith at all that a lack of their backing means it's not right to step in?

Who do you mean by "we"?

I believe that as a democracy with some reasonably big guns then we have a responsibility to spread that democracy wherever some nutjob runs a place for life because people believe his imaginary friend told him that was his birthright. How that is done will depend entirely on the nature of said nutjob.

If he's an entirely peaceful person then hopefully some education of the masses will be enough to instill a democracy - if he's a violent genocidal fudger then, reluctantly, we'll almost always have to fight fire with Apache helicopters.

We wanna spread our democracy? That's not very democratic is it? Spreading your views on unwitting people the world over?

Equal rights ain't happening in Most Arab countries any time soon. Thr sooner we mind our own fudging business the better. Defence budget should do what it says on the tin, DEFEND!!!

Refer to Leed's Labour card carrying ideologue comment. I'm no fan of Blair either, but I will not let revisionism occur unchallenged. Leeds would have people believe that the Iraq war was somehow a singular Labour policy, when the tories were clearly on board too. He would have us believe this was because nasty Blair lied to them too. Of course Iain Duncan Smith was briefed, by the Dod and the Foreign Office. I think what is missing here is some critique of the DoD and the Foreign Ofice, what the fudge were they up to?

PS. Leeds Spur, I think you should check the record concerning speeches made by your prime minister (Cameron), concerning the Iraq invasion. He has consistently supported Blair's actions.

Last edited:
That may be, but the principle still remains - a nutjob with an itchy mustard gas finger needs getting rid of. Any loss of life is a tough one but compared to what he would have done in perpetuity? I'll get rid thanks.

Just because it didn't work, doesn't mean we should stop trying. And of course we have the responsibility to spread it - the ability to choose how one is governed and by whom must be the most basic of human rights. Without it, nobody has any method of appeal/control to gain the rest of the basic human rights people should be afforded.

I agree to some extent with that although I don't think it's quite as cynical as you make out. The UN has to hold much of the blame here as far as I'm concerned.

They sit on their hands for so long, desperately trying to please Russia (who are usually busy arming those we are trying to rid the world of) whilst millions are dying when we have the ability to stop it. See Rwanda as a perfect example. If there was ever a need for outside help that was it yet the UN spent all their time side-stepping the word 'genocide' so as not to be obliged to step in.

Compared to what he would have done? We've killed more Iraqis now through sanctions, second gulf war and the civil war we unleashed than Saddam had killed Iraqis, Iranians and Kuwaitis. Funnily enough, we didn't care about Saddam when he was launching his crazy war on Iran. In fact, we actually supported him. And his use of chemical weapons.

I'd have thought this war would have been your worst nightmare. We've gone from a secular Arab Nationalist, a brutal one for sure, to a civil war based on sectarian lines, a vice president on the run for running religious death squads and a country that is electing and splitting far more along religious lines.

Wait, what? Einstein saw insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. How many times are we going to fail doing the same thing before we realise that it doesn't work? The Western democracies were allowed to develop their democracies internally, over a long period, building up their own civil society, going through their own violence. Now its apparently 'our' responsibility to spread democracy. In countries we've spent a long time raping, who've only gained their independence recently, who are still working things out. They are not given the same opportunities the West was given. Now, if they're not fully functioning multi-party democracies, with an impeccable human rights record, free media and speech, equal rights for women, minorities, LGBTs etc within 10/20 years, they're a failed state. And the West, the knight on the white horse, has to swoop in and help out the poor locals. Usually by bombing the brick out of them. Usually when they're not wanted. Where's the democracy in that?

Of course democracy is one of the most basic of human rights. It is the basis for advancing a country properly. Life is also a fundamental human right. How many have dies because of the two Bushes and Blair? As I said, its very easy for people to calculate over a million losses of life, hundreds of thousands of those children, when you're sitting comfortable on your sofa in England. Go and speak to Iraqis, both in Iraq and in the diaspora, and find out their opinions. Consider that many of the diaspora left because their family was especially affected by Saddam's brutality or the sanctions.

That has nothing to do with Russia or the UNSC, the USA refused to get involved, calling it a 'local conflict' and refusing to call it a genocide. Where were the International community when my country, Sierra Leone, was going through a terrible civil war? In fact, I believe Taylor worked for the CIA at points in his life. Pol Pot? Mengistu? Biafra? Angolan civil war? Well, that became a nice little proxy for the big powers to play their games. Suharto? Supported by us. I could go on but it gets boring.

I think its every bit as cynical as that. Look at the Middle East for example. How often do we hear the human rights record if the 'enemy' Iran mentioned? Despite the fact that they tolerate and have many different minorities in their country? Saudi? No worries, just as long as the oil keeps flowing? Bahrain? No problems, just keep that naval base open for us. Does democracy matter there?

If your dictator is brutal but your country is of little importance, no-one gives a fudge. If your dictator is brutal and you have resources or threaten a western ally, suddenly you're a huge threat and need to be sorted out, militarily, to provide democracy.

Country with a brutal dictator who provides us with natural resources? Carry on repressing your population. Not providing us with natural resources? We're coming to ahem liberate the population.

As an aside, the percentage of the British population who supported the Iraq war without UNSC backing and without the UN inspectors having found a shred of evidence for WMDs (as was the case) was 22%. Not quite what I'd call democracy.

As I mentioned above, they intentionally side-stepped the word genocide for months over Rwanda. How can you have any faith at all that a lack of their backing means it's not right to step in?

I had more faith in the UN weapons inspectors, who were doing their jobs, than for the neo-liberals bent on revenge and resources. And I was right. Funny that when you make decisions based on facts and logic, they tend to more often be right than those based on emotion and ideology.

Refer to Leed's Labour card carrying ideologue comment. I'm no fan of Blair either, but I will not let revisionism occur unchallenged. Leeds would have people believe that the Iraq war was somehow a singular Labour policy, when the tories were clearly on board too. He would have us believe this was because nasty Blair lied to them too. Of course Iain Duncan Smith was briefed, by the Dod and the Foreign Office. I think what is missing here is some critique of the DoD and the Foreign Ofice, what the fudge were they up to?

PS. Leeds Spur, I think you should check the record concerning speeches made by your prime minister (Cameron), concerning the Iraq invasion. He has consistently supported Blair's actions.

What else can he do? We are up to our necks in afghanistan and we can't cut an run can we. Telling the families of 400 service men their relatives died for nothing isn't very politically expedient.

That is what we do in Random

It's educational

I've been on this board, through various different forms for maybe about 8 or 9 years now. Random was previously about education, with genuinely different political views and interesting discussion between very intelligent individuals.

Now, its mostly the same small group of individuals, commenting on the same narrow range of topics, coming to the same conclusion and patting each other on the back.

The word you're looking for is boring.

I've been on this board, through various different forms for maybe about 8 or 9 years now. Random was previously about education, with genuinely different political views and interesting discussion between very intelligent individuals.

Now, its mostly the same small group of individuals, commenting on the same narrow range of topics, coming to the same conclusion and patting each other on the back.

The word you're looking for is boring.

You need to get in the vice den more often mate, there are some very broad views in there ;)

I've been on this board, through various different forms for maybe about 8 or 9 years now.

A shape-shifter of sorts?

Always had my suspicions . . .

aec3346dfe8c3dcd1d57023b88984251.jpg

Are you really naive enough to think that only Labour politicians have their noses in the troughs?

Please play the ball not the man.

To answer your question: no. I am referring the fact, that Labour consistently whereever you go in europe claim moral superiority based on (claimed) values as tolerance, solidarity and integrity.

My example prove, that despite their big "values" they are mostly lying elitists, who couldn't give a toss. Profit-maximising. Personal profit-maximising. Our very own PM is a school example through her marriage with Mr Kinnock. You do know of the Kinnock family in Britain, don't you ?

Yep, no-one mentions the numbers killed. Other than me in my post just above and the war criminals from the West (sorry, we don't have war criminals do we? the war heroes from the West, Blair and Bush) were desperate in mentioning it as a justification after their fake WMDs surprisingly failed to materialise.

And I think few people who attack the West over the sanctions and the Iraq war are great fans of Saddam. He was a scumbag. The worst of the worst in a region of disgusting dictators. But why are we really that different? Oh we don't do it to our own people? That's great but we dehumanise the 'others' so much, there's no problem in killing them. We've killed more people than Saddam through our sanctions and second gulf war. So who is the vicious genocidaire?

Someone I know always says we're no more civil than we were 2000 years ago. We just do our killing in suits now. A big of an exaggeration for sure but I don't think he's far off. The West's conduct towards Iraq since 1991 has been nothing short of disgusting:

When asked on US television if she [Madeline Albright, US Secretary of State] thought that the death of half a million Iraqi children [from sanctions in Iraq] was a price worth paying, Albright replied: ÔÇ£This is a very hard choice, but we think the price is worth it.ÔÇØ

Governor Robertson:

"Well, I stand behind the sanctions. I believe that they successfully contained Saddam Hussein. I believe that the sanctions were an instrument of our policy.

Well, I believe our policy was correct, yes."

Great stuff.

And just to clarify, that's not correct. You hear about the car bombs in your media when they kill dozens of Iraqis or any NATO servicemen. You don't hear the much less interesting stuff which comes on the Arabic media, basically every day, as well as Iraqis with family in Iraq, of bombs and deaths on an almost daily basis. Its not really a surprise either that, even if the Western media were reporting every single bomb, they would focus more in Iraq. We caused that mess.

Fixed that last bit for you.

Thanks for proving my point.

You couldn't answer my points without going back to who "we" killed too.

Well done.

Back