• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

He could accept what the rest of the world did half a century ago and realise that communism is never the answer.

Just out of curiosity, is there a for a leftist movement / ideological strain that has (or potentially could) produce a Manifesto / Intention that you don't consider a Trojan horse for communism?

Just out of curiosity, is there a for a leftist movement / ideological strain that has (or potentially could) produce a Manifesto / Intention that you don't consider a Trojan horse for communism?

Yep, according to generalissimo Scaramanga, the communist revolution will begin with Labour's re nationalization of the Southern Line, ha, ha. ;)

Blair (minus the one-eyed pension stealing monster) was a fairly decent leftist. The David in Ed "Should have been David" Milliband is OK.

Thing is, the Overton window has shifted massively in this country over the last generation or two. What in the late 70s and early 80s was simply "Left" (and the kind of politics promoted by Corbyn) is now so far left of the centre, that it is indistinguishable from Communism. Granularity fades with distance, and Corbyn's ideology is so far from the centre in this country that its balance across the centre pivot is not the current Conservative party, it's UKIP and the EDL.

I said it again and again unless David comes back on his horse from New York to take over Labour they are fooked. The IRA, Palestine and Venezuelan supporting weasel needs to go

Blair (minus the one-eyed pension stealing monster) was a fairly decent leftist. The David in Ed "Should have been David" Milliband is OK.

Thing is, the Overton window has shifted massively in this country over the last generation or two. What in the late 70s and early 80s was simply "Left" (and the kind of politics promoted by Corbyn) is now so far left of the centre, that it is indistinguishable from Communism. Granularity fades with distance, and Corbyn's ideology is so far from the centre in this country that its balance across the centre pivot is not the current Conservative party, it's UKIP and the EDL.

I was about to give that a like for full agreement, but, I think the balance is still the conservative party, who have moved just as far from the centre.

I was about to give that a like for full agreement, but, I think the balance is still the conservative party, who have moved just as far from the centre.
The elements of the party that are further to the right have been there for a long time. In anything other than issues around the EU, I don't see them getting their own way.

I can't see the socially centrist side of the party being moved. Economically they might be, but that's still not an extreme right in the way Corbyn's plans are extreme left. Should we, by some miracle, leave the EU unencumbered by their anti-competitive diktats then there's the possibility of a low regulation, Singapore-style economy I guess.

Do those who favour No Deal, appreciate there are real job losses on the horizon as a result? That the long term losses to the UK economy could mean a worse NHS and less money for public services as the government loses tax revenue? Or is this wrong and everything will be tickety boo? All we need do is believe harder?

Andrew Varga was driving along when he heard David Davis laughing on the Today programme as he expounded similar airy nonsense about the “trusted trader scheme” – goods checked in warehouses away from the border, all easy-peasy.

“I was climbing the wall! Drives me to despair!” says Varga, managing director of Seetru, a Bristol manufacturer of industrial safety valves. Perhaps Leadsom has only met happy businesses by refusing to hear from those like Varga, a Cambridge engineering PhD, who has failed to find a hearing with any branch of government for the inconvenient facts from companies like his.

“My local Tory MP, Michelle Donelan, wouldn’t come to the factory: when I saw her in her surgery she couldn’t get rid of me fast enough.” Labour MPs have listened and visited but no Tory to date. At a large meeting with Suella Braverman, then Brexit minister, she parroted the usual empty phrases: “trusted trader” and “WTO rules”. Since 2016 he has been trying to raise the alarm, but “no one wants to know”. He wrote to the prime minister, who passed it on to Steve Baker, then at the Department for Exiting the European Union, but got a useless stock reply.

At one time his exports were growing fast, with 130 employees and eight apprentices training to high standards, but since the referendum things have quickly changed. “Some EU customers instantly decided it was too much trouble and switched to EU manufacturers – we lost 10% of the business.” Others with his valves embedded will cut them out next time they redesign their machines. To trade in the EU he needs to obey rules of origin, recording every raw material, tracking every component, requiring “horrendous” new IT systems, his various valves containing 30,000 different configurations and “tripling our admin workload”. New security rules require fencing and guards round his perimeter with checks on staff, costing millions. Delays due to checks “are anathema to our just-in-time customers. They give us three chances: late once is a warning, twice is a final warning and then you’re out.”

This is not just about the bottom line. There are emotional shocks too. “Our EU customers were our friends, but there was a sudden chill after 2016. I hear antagonism, nationalism rising, as if we are ‘other’ and not one of them any more. My people are upset by conversations with old customers who say: ‘You bloody Brits! You’re ruining everything, and we’re not going to pay the extra duty.’” His office staff are remainers, but the factory floor is split in half. “Everyone tiptoes around each other or it gets too heated. The Brexiters are aggressive, the remainers creep into their shell.”

His father praised 1972’s entry into the common market. “Fantastic. Overnight just one gold standard for every product exported to every European country instead of a plethora of kite marks.” When Brexiters castigate EU regulations, “they have no idea how good they are for us”. Varga is a “congenitally liberal Tory, but I can no longer support that party”.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/27/business-brexit-directors-companies-no-deal

Last edited:
Do those who favour No Deal, appreciate there are real job losses on the horizon as a result? That the long term losses to the UK economy could mean a worse NHS and less money for public services as the government loses tax revenue? Or is this wrong and everything will be tickety boo? All we need do is believe harder?

Andrew Varga was driving along when he heard David Davis laughing on the Today programme as he expounded similar airy nonsense about the “trusted trader scheme” – goods checked in warehouses away from the border, all easy-peasy.

“I was climbing the wall! Drives me to despair!” says Varga, managing director of Seetru, a Bristol manufacturer of industrial safety valves. Perhaps Leadsom has only met happy businesses by refusing to hear from those like Varga, a Cambridge engineering PhD, who has failed to find a hearing with any branch of government for the inconvenient facts from companies like his.

“My local Tory MP, Michelle Donelan, wouldn’t come to the factory: when I saw her in her surgery she couldn’t get rid of me fast enough.” Labour MPs have listened and visited but no Tory to date. At a large meeting with Suella Braverman, then Brexit minister, she parroted the usual empty phrases: “trusted trader” and “WTO rules”. Since 2016 he has been trying to raise the alarm, but “no one wants to know”. He wrote to the prime minister, who passed it on to Steve Baker, then at the Department for Exiting the European Union, but got a useless stock reply.

At one time his exports were growing fast, with 130 employees and eight apprentices training to high standards, but since the referendum things have quickly changed. “Some EU customers instantly decided it was too much trouble and switched to EU manufacturers – we lost 10% of the business.” Others with his valves embedded will cut them out next time they redesign their machines. To trade in the EU he needs to obey rules of origin, recording every raw material, tracking every component, requiring “horrendous” new IT systems, his various valves containing 30,000 different configurations and “tripling our admin workload”. New security rules require fencing and guards round his perimeter with checks on staff, costing millions. Delays due to checks “are anathema to our just-in-time customers. They give us three chances: late once is a warning, twice is a final warning and then you’re out.”

This is not just about the bottom line. There are emotional shocks too. “Our EU customers were our friends, but there was a sudden chill after 2016. I hear antagonism, nationalism rising, as if we are ‘other’ and not one of them any more. My people are upset by conversations with old customers who say: ‘You bloody Brits! You’re ruining everything, and we’re not going to pay the extra duty.’” His office staff are remainers, but the factory floor is split in half. “Everyone tiptoes around each other or it gets too heated. The Brexiters are aggressive, the remainers creep into their shell.”

His father praised 1972’s entry into the common market. “Fantastic. Overnight just one gold standard for every product exported to every European country instead of a plethora of kite marks.” When Brexiters castigate EU regulations, “they have no idea how good they are for us”. Varga is a “congenitally liberal Tory, but I can no longer support that party”.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/27/business-brexit-directors-companies-no-deal
Why doesn't he build a factory in the EU for selling to the EU and benefit from the reduced regulation here for non-EU sales?

I said it again and again unless David comes back on his horse from New York to take over Labour they are fooked. The IRA, Palestine and Venezuelan supporting weasel needs to go
David is not the solution, too much baggage. Keir Starmer would be very electable imo

David is not the solution, too much baggage. Keir Starmer would be very electable imo
He seems to be a solid vote against any attempts to make our taxation system fit for purpose. Is that because he's following party line or is he really that far to the left?

If it's his own choice then I can't imagine he's particularly electable. He's also a bit French on foreign policy.

Why doesn't he build a factory in the EU for selling to the EU and benefit from the reduced regulation here for non-EU sales?

I couldn't speak for another, but should imagine moving to another country, all the setup costs and duplication costs preclude it. To make it a viable proposition for a SME, you'd have to shut down the UK factory and move lock stock and barrel. Such duplication/ineffeciency is not necessary as things stand.

I couldn't speak for another, but should imagine moving to another country, all the setup costs and duplication costs preclude it. To make it a viable proposition for a SME, you'd have to shut down the UK factory and move lock stock and barrel. Such duplication/ineffeciency is not necessary as things stand.
I found that the transport costs and ridiculous wages in the UK made it very viable. Our Central European plant paid itself back in less than 2 years.

So the BBC has got its knickers all in a twist about the government holding a Queen's Speech.

Apparently doing what all governments do is some kind of crime because it doesn't suit them and their bias.

EDIT: They've walked back on that heavily already. All accusations of prorogation have been dropped in favour of the term "suspension of parliament"

I found that the transport costs and ridiculous wages in the UK made it very viable. Our Central European plant paid itself back in less than 2 years.

As long as you run within your means I also found opening offices and premises abroad pretty easy, you get plenty of local business support and funding if you ask the right people, you can employ pretty decent local talent and cheaper than the UK and you have yourself a decent hub which is cheaper than travel, transportation, import and export costs. I can honestly say in my last job we were almost begged by a local government to set up shop and given so much financial aid it was nearly free, and that is no lie, they were throwing all sorts of subsidies at us.

Whatever you think of Johnson, it's quite refreshing to have a government with agency again - after 3 years of the moribund May regime.

If only Brexit could have started with such vigour back in 2016, we'd already be in the sunny uplands

What agency. Other than suspend our democratically elected parliment and guff a little, has he done anything?

As long as you run within your means I also found opening offices and premises abroad pretty easy, you get plenty of local business support and funding if you ask the right people, you can employ pretty decent local talent and cheaper than the UK and you have yourself a decent hub which is cheaper than travel, transportation, import and export costs. I can honestly say in my last job we were almost begged by a local government to set up shop and given so much financial aid it was nearly free, and that is no lie, they were throwing all sorts of subsidies at us.

I am a little confused, wasn't Breixt about making the UK great again? Rather than farming out our jobs to the EU???

I am a little confused, wasn't Breixt about making the UK great again? Rather than farming out our jobs to the EU???

This was 10 years ago before any kind of Brexit and we didn't farm jobs out we expanded. Any any expanding profits we made we ploughed back into our UK operations and staff.

Abit like when Italian rail operators buy a railway line here, charge £10 for a 20 min journey when in Italy its 2euros and they take the profits and invest it in the Italian rail network.

Back