• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

GLT they trialed it in non-league and then Championship until they were 100% happy with it -

Fifa's rules on GLT were a lot more strict than VAR -

https://football-technology.fifa.com/en/media-tiles/about-goal-line-technology/

"Goal-line technology is a technical means of instantly determining whether the whole of the ball has crossed the goal line.

The International Football Association Board requires that goal-line technology does not interfere with the game, and as such only the match officials receive a signal on their watches to indicate whether the whole of the ball has crossed the goal line.

This information is transmitted within one second, which ensures an immediate response from the referee and that there are no stoppages or other forms of interference in the game. The match officials are the only ones to receive a signal. Unless the competition organiser decides to show a replay, this information is only available to the match officials."

For all saying that its early days / will get better miss the point a little, if its not ready it shouldn't be used.

It's a joke. Referees on the pitch don't want to give penalties or red cards because they think they have VAR as a safety net, and the VAR clearly doesn't want to overturn the decision of the referee even when it's blindingly obvious that they've made a mistake. There was another situation in the West Ham v Norwich game where West Ham were denied a stonewall penalty. Aston Villa got a late equalizer denied after a ridiculous refereeing decision. In that latter case the referee might have blown the whistle before the ball crossed the line though, so I reckon they can't overturn it.

I am not a fan of VAR in general. I hate not being able to celebrate when the ball crosses the goal line anymore. It robs you as a fan of the most important and enjoyable moments in football. But as long as we have VAR, then at least it has to be used in a much better way than it is currently being used in the Premier League. It's an absolute farce at the moment. It seems they are only using it for marginal offside decisions when they can get their drawing board up and have some fun drawing lines on the screen that don't prove anything anyway. Cause where does the shoulder end and the arm start? We still get same rubbish refereeing decisions as before, and now they don't even have an excuse for them anymore. Get rid of it. It's ruining the game.

It's a joke. Referees on the pitch don't want to give penalties or red cards because they think they have VAR as a safety net, and the VAR clearly doesn't want to overturn the decision of the referee even when it's blindingly obvious that they've made a mistake. There was another situation in the West Ham v Norwich game where West Ham were denied a stonewall penalty. Aston Villa got a late equalizer denied after a ridiculous refereeing decision. In that latter case the referee might have blown the whistle before the ball crossed the line though, so I reckon they can't overturn it.

I am not a fan of VAR in general. I hate not being able to celebrate when the ball crosses the goal line anymore. It robs you as a fan of the most important and enjoyable moments in football. But as long as we have VAR, then at least it has to be used in a much better way than it is currently being used in the Premier League. It's an absolute farce at the moment. It seems they are only using it for marginal offside decisions when they can get their drawing board up and have some fun drawing lines on the screen that don't prove anything anyway. Cause where does the shoulder end and the arm start? We still get same rubbish refereeing decisions as before, and now they don't even have an excuse for them anymore. Get rid of it. It's ruining the game.

I thought VAR would work as an assistant.. A call in the Ref's ear that he may have missed something major and it's worth his while to go pitchside and have a second look on the monitor..

As for the offside rule, at the start of the season a player could be offside by a nose o_O but I think they've eased up on that, although I'm not sure of their exact ruling now..
I'd like to see offside determined by the position of the player's feet and nothing else..

I thought VAR would work as an assistant.. A call in the Ref's ear that he may have missed something major and it's worth his while to go pitchside and have a second look on the monitor..

As for the offside rule, at the start of the season a player could be offside by a nose o_O but I think they've eased up on that, although I'm not sure of their exact ruling now..
I'd like to see offside determined by the position of the player's feet and nothing else..

He doesn't need to go to a monitor, that's just a waste of time. Just go with what the VAR decides (this is on the basis that they actually make a call and not just shrug their shoulders).

He doesn't need to go to a monitor, that's just a waste of time. Just go with what the VAR decides (this is on the basis that they actually make a call and not just shrug their shoulders).

I've seen it in operation in the Bundesliga and the referee has overturned his initial decision. In another game the ref kept with his initial decision ..In both games, the stoppage were for a couple of minutes at most but the correct decision was made so worth it in my mind..

How we miss those days, when a player could deny the dreams of a whole nation with a blatant handball.. The Irish must've enjoyed watching the 2010 World Cup...

I can not believe they are still some who think its good for the game.
Funnily, I literally logged in to post along those lines!

I still believe that the technology itself is very useful football.
But the implementation and management of it in the EPL is looking rather shambolic.

I think I'm right to say Video Ref is only used at Intl level rugby and is a facility for the ref to use as a helping hand.
It doesn't seek to spot ref errors. But to help a ref when they are not certain.
That seems a very pragmatic approach.

Maybe there is also an argument it should only be used at Intl level rather than the "centralised mass lab" approach of the EPL.

var only serves 2 purposes to find handballs that no one has seen and offsides that too quick for the human eye.

You mean factual calls!!!
Ones that cannot be debated
And I agree
The issue remains that all the “negativity” around it is excuse of opinion or subjective calls not being over turned

Funnily, I literally logged in to post along those lines!

I still believe that the technology itself is very useful football.
But the implementation and management of it in the EPL is looking rather shambolic.

I think I'm right to say Video Ref is only used at Intl level rugby and is a facility for the ref to use as a helping hand.
It doesn't seek to spot ref errors. But to help a ref when they are not certain.
That seems a very pragmatic approach.

Maybe there is also an argument it should only be used at Intl level rather than the "centralised mass lab" approach of the EPL.

How many PL refs are likely to admit they aren't certain?

This thread is turning into the Sissoko type thread, in that some fans went overboard with the slagging off of him and thought he was a terrible players. Thankfully some of those have adjusted their opinions while others have refused to see that he has turned into a good player.

I feel the same is starting to happen here as well, some fans said it would be the best thing to happen to/for the game. And despite the mess it has been they will have to stick to their original opinons no matter what. :p

Back