• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

If I had to correct every time I was quoted incorrectly, I'd have nothing else to do, and I'm not half as often involved with media as Eriksen is. "Quotes" are incorrect more often than not.

Like I said before, players who want to stay at a club don’t typically let their contracts run down to less than a year if they want to stay. That only normally happens if the club doesn’t want to keep the player (100% not the case here) or if the player himself wants to explore his options.

Here are the quotes for those of you that understand Danish. I've translated it before in this thread, so won't bother doing it again, but he basically says he wants to try something new as long as it's a step up from Tottenham, but he wouldn't be sad to stay either, as he's got the utmost respect for the club and what it is doing.

https://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/fodbo...om-fremtiden-jeg-vil-proeve-noget-nyt/7661012

Ahhh thats nice of him. What a polite and diplomatic person. I take back what I have been saying about him, he definitely doesnt want to leave!

Ahhh thats nice of him. What a polite and diplomatic person. I take back what I have been saying about him, he definitely doesnt want to leave!

Ideally we want players that live and breathe Tottenham like us fans, but that's not very realistic. He's been with us for 6 years. He's not been a fan of the club for 30 years or more, like many of us. I can understand if he wants a new challenge, how can you blame him for that? He's been excellent for us. And even in wanting to leave, he hasn't kicked up a big fuss, went on a strike or gone bad talking the club in the press. Quite the opposite. He says he's got the deepest respect for the club and that he wouldn't mind playing for us unless a massive club came in. From a footballing perspective, that's understandable, in my opinion. No point slating the guy. If he ends up signing a new contract I'd be over the moon. Expecting every player to wish to end their career playing with us simply isn't realistic.

Ideally we want players that live and breathe Tottenham like us fans, but that's not very realistic. He's been with us for 6 years. He's not been a fan of the club for 30 years or more, like many of us. I can understand if he wants a new challenge, how can you blame him for that? He's been excellent for us. And even in wanting to leave, he hasn't kicked up a big fuss, went on a strike or gone bad talking the club in the press. Quite the opposite. He says he's got the deepest respect for the club and that he wouldn't mind playing for us unless a massive club came in. From a footballing perspective, that's understandable, in my opinion. No point slating the guy. If he ends up signing a new contract I'd be over the moon. Expecting every player to wish to end their career playing with us simply isn't realistic.

I have no problem with him wanting to leave. I’m sure the deal with get done if we get a reasonable offer and as long as they’re not a rival club. I think it’s best that we move him on and get another player in who wants to be here 100% and hasn’t mentally checked out so to speak.

The most logical thing from Eriksen would be to wait until January and then leave on a free. He could get 500k a week for doing that, which would be miles above whatever we could offer him.

Honestly, I think Levy and Poch are getting played by Eriksen, Toby and Jan. Ramsey and Rabiot were the harbingers of a new age - footballers are now so obscenely well-paid and transfer fees so expensive that many of them would rather just run down their contracts and leave at the peak of their value to maximise their own revenues and minimize sunken costs for the clubs that do acquire them. This goes for both good players and brick players - it was predicted when the Bosman ruling came in, but it's only now, with the advent of a new generation of more educated footballers and supporting staff (agents, lawyers, etc) that it's being put into practice.

The rest of football, Levy included, hasn't seen this coming. Clubs and chairmen have yet to react to it. And the future is one of lower transfer fees, more ubiquitous release clauses, and more free transfers.

I suspect that will start being felt more in coming years - there are a lot of contracts running down over the next couple of years, but only the very biggest/richest clubs will be able to renew them.

And clubs will learn to treat the 2-year mark on a contract as the new 1-year mark - the effective maximum 'sell-by' date.

We're probably going to get burned on at least one of Toby, Jan and Eriksen on this - maybe two, maybe all three. Likewise for players we don't want, like Rose and N'Koudou.

What could you do even if you saw it coming? if a player has decided to see out his contract and then treble his wages you aren't going to be able to force him out the door a year or two earlier - especially if like us you need to use the player in the side regulalry

the more this goes on i wonder if it is likely to bring about change? don't think clubs would want to see potential profits end up in the hands of players themselves

Back