• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bale. Could we? Would we? Should we?

I am so divided about this. Firstly, who in their right mind, whose name doesn't start with Z's wouldn't want Bale on their team sheet? Last year, I would have said go all in for him (although I wanted Modric more).

On the other hand, he seems like a person just going through the motions now, have won almost everything and is rich beyond belief. He is, purely IMO, not a particulary smart player, and have from what I've seen an explosive and aggressive style of play. Not very good for a player turning 30. And there are of course the various fitness issues, although we don't know how that would turn out here (well, we pretty much do).

I'd like to see him showing signs that he really wants to return to us, not just that Poch wants him. £400K a week, 3-way split. Real pay 200K, Bale pays 200K and Spurs pay 200K. Sorted.

I am so divided about this. Firstly, who in their right mind, whose name doesn't start with Z's wouldn't want Bale on their team sheet? Last year, I would have said go all in for him (although I wanted Modric more).

On the other hand, he seems like a person just going through the motions now, have won almost everything and is rich beyond belief. He is, purely IMO, not a particulary smart player, and have from what I've seen an explosive and aggressive style of play. Not very good for a player turning 30. And there are of course the various fitness issues, although we don't know how that would turn out here (well, we pretty much do).

I'd like to see him showing signs that he really wants to return to us, not just that Poch wants him. £400K a week, 3-way split. Real pay 200K, Bale pays 200K and Spurs pay 200K. Sorted.

There is nothing to be divided on here

- Bale is the type of player than individually can create top level success (win a cup, key match, etc), we have no one of that calibur
- He is out of our financial model.
- His attitude issues are made up PR brick from RM (other than he isn't going to make their problem go away because they have decided to dump him)

If somehow with a loan/Madrid subsidy model we can get a year or two out of him, refer to point 1.

He doesn't need to play every game, we could get smart with managing his injuries and the media coverage (extra tv games likely) would be a marque signing for us.

Still think it's more likely to go to a United (desperate and will pay anything) type move than us.

What about when he dismantled Utd in the Champions League? Kaka wasn't hyped to anything like Neymar is. Neymar's reputation and ability are quite far apart, he's nowhere near as good as the hype. If anything Kaka was underrated and hyped for how good he was.
I love these types of discussion (in person more than with my limited written English), and I'm fascinated how people's opinion can differ over what should be such a simple thing as football. I especially find ratings funny, type 18th best whatever-position in the world, I mean what, when? At their best? Over a season? In a particular game? On YouTube? There may also be a slight difference in how we see "impact". Hell, we Spurs fans can't even agree on that amongst ourselves and our own players.

Anyway, I know that stats are just stats, but still, 119/29 at Real as the best AM in the world (and if I remember correctly, the most expensive at the time), in a league where Ronaldo can score a goal a game is hardly impressive. Again I don't say he was sh*t, just that his importance to the game was nowhere near what I expected to see, and I was underwhelmed whenever I saw him. Which was not 100 times. I'm not overly concerned about being "right" about this so I'll leave it at that, but the first name who came to my mind was Kaka, although he may not have been the best example. Other who comes to mind are Figo and Rivaldo haha..!

Conclusion: Neymar is overrated, ok?

There is nothing to be divided on here

- Bale is the type of player than individually can create top level success (win a cup, key match, etc), we have no one of that calibur
- He is out of our financial model.
- His attitude issues are made up PR brick from RM (other than he isn't going to make their problem go away because they have decided to dump him)

If somehow with a loan/Madrid subsidy model we can get a year or two out of him, refer to point 1.

He doesn't need to play every game, we could get smart with managing his injuries and the media coverage (extra tv games likely) would be a marque signing for us.

Still think it's more likely to go to a United (desperate and will pay anything) type move than us.
You may know something about his situation I don't, but I have not questioned his attitude. When I say going through the motions, I mean that I haven't seen any quotes that he's willing to move to get more playing time, that his agent or whoever actively tries to farm him out. He's 30, and as I said my opinion is that his style of play doesn't say he will play at top level at 34-35. Hell, even C. Ronaldo slides along on his extreme atlethicism now and is nowhere near the player or even type of player he was anymore. I think we can agree upon that Bale hasn't got the fitness level Ronaldo has.

So as a armchair physician, I would say that Bale has 2, maybe 3 years of top level football left. Which is the length of his £600K/w contract at Real Madrid. So if he wants to shine on the highest stage, if that's what motivates him, it has to be NOW. If it doesn't, he could very well see out his contract in Madrid, not losing a dime. I don't know, and few does, but when Zidane comes out and lays the cards down the way he does, it's to each his own to interpret that.

There may be something going on that we don't know about, but then it's hard to discuss or have an opinion about as well, I'd say. Which is why I'm divided.

I love these types of discussion (in person more than with my limited written English), and I'm fascinated how people's opinion can differ over what should be such a simple thing as football. I especially find ratings funny, type 18th best whatever-position in the world, I mean what, when? At their best? Over a season? In a particular game? On YouTube? There may also be a slight difference in how we see "impact". Hell, we Spurs fans can't even agree on that amongst ourselves and our own players.

Anyway, I know that stats are just stats, but still, 119/29 at Real as the best AM in the world (and if I remember correctly, the most expensive at the time), in a league where Ronaldo can score a goal a game is hardly impressive. Again I don't say he was sh*t, just that his importance to the game was nowhere near what I expected to see, and I was underwhelmed whenever I saw him. Which was not 100 times. I'm not overly concerned about being "right" about this so I'll leave it at that, but the first name who came to my mind was Kaka, although he may not have been the best example. Other who comes to mind are Figo and Rivaldo haha..!

Conclusion: Neymar is overrated, ok?

He was injured during his time at Madrid. It was also a transfer he was never happy with cause he didn't want to leave Milan, and almost refused to but his (ex)wife insisted. Kaka wasn't a modern player in that sense, when he went back to Milan and was injured he refused to get paid.

Rivaldo was also a ridiculously good player, so good he made the real Ronaldo a better player.

Is he good enough without his physical attributes to covert into a CM? Like Giggs and Barnes did at this stage of their careers

Back