• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Eriksen has undeniably stated that he wants to leave if an interesting offer is being made. Interesting as in a step up, a better club - which there aren't too many of at the moment. None of the clubs he would be interested in has made such an offer, as far as we know. I also think that he would like to have something on the shelf after a successful career, other than a bank account statement and the odd Asia Preseason Reserve Squad & Bin Men Cup, so it would probably have to be to a de facto league contender (to be perfectly honest we are not as of present, and Ndombele alone doesn't change that). I would also guess, and this is only a guess, that he wants to be in an "interesting league", from a Scandinavian perspective. So I doubt that he would go to Benfica, Galatasaray or even PSG, that would be money-only, and he doesn't strike me as that kind of person. But if a high-profile club makes a move, Real, Barca, and I'm guessing maybe Bayern or Juventus would presumably be one of those, he will be off like a fart in the wind. We can hope that clubs like Liverpool or City are not. He has NOT stated that he wants to leave at all cost, to Stoke if that may be, because he hates Spurs or Poch or the receptionist, and from what I have read has not a single soul on this forum suggested that either. But he "wants to leave", as opposed to "is determined to stay". Denying that fact and belittling fellow Spurs fans in the process is not going to make anyone a "better" or "more loyal" fan.

Eriksen has honoured his contract without a fuss, played 6 years in a Spurs shirt for a - in today's market - very, very reasonable fee, and would like a move if an elite club comes along now that said contract is coming to an end. It would be great if he'd sign a new contract to possibly help us recover a larger transfer fee, but he has no obligation to do so, and perhaps he or his agent feels it would lower his chances, I don't know. He's 27, and only a broken leg or torn ACL away from maybe never being able to play for the best of the best (except us, of course). He has been pretty honest about his intentions without making a big deal out of it, and if he can make his dream move and win some meaningful trophies, I wish him the best of luck.

Eriksen has undeniably stated that he wants to leave if an interesting offer is being made. Interesting as in a step up, a better club - which there aren't too many of at the moment. None of the clubs he would be interested in has made such an offer, as far as we know. I also think that he would like to have something on the shelf after a successful career, other than a bank account statement and the odd Asia Preseason Reserve Squad & Bin Men Cup, so it would probably have to be to a de facto league contender (to be perfectly honest we are not as of present, and Ndombele alone doesn't change that). I would also guess, and this is only a guess, that he wants to be in an "interesting league", from a Scandinavian perspective. So I doubt that he would go to Benfica, Galatasaray or even PSG, that would be money-only, and he doesn't strike me as that kind of person. But if a high-profile club makes a move, Real, Barca, and I'm guessing maybe Bayern or Juventus would presumably be one of those, he will be off like a fart in the wind. We can hope that clubs like Liverpool or City are not. He has NOT stated that he wants to leave at all cost, to Stoke if that may be, because he hates Spurs or Poch or the receptionist, and from what I have read has not a single soul on this forum suggested that either. But he "wants to leave", as opposed to "is determined to stay". Denying that fact and belittling fellow Spurs fans in the process is not going to make anyone a "better" or "more loyal" fan.

Eriksen has honoured his contract without a fuss, played 6 years in a Spurs shirt for a - in today's market - very, very reasonable fee, and would like a move if an elite club comes along now that said contract is coming to an end. It would be great if he'd sign a new contract to possibly help us recover a larger transfer fee, but he has no obligation to do so, and perhaps he or his agent feels it would lower his chances, I don't know. He's 27, and only a broken leg or torn ACL away from maybe never being able to play for the best of the best (except us, of course). He has been pretty honest about his intentions without making a big deal out of it, and if he can make his dream move and win some meaningful trophies, I wish him the best of luck.

I do t think I’ve read anyone say they wouldn’t accept him moving now. But it has to benefit us as much as him and that’s where the negativity comes in

SubZero said:
Eriksen has honoured his contract without a fuss, played 6 years in a Spurs shirt for a - in today's market - very, very reasonable fee

We paid less for him because he'd run down his contract and only had a year left o_O

I do t think I’ve read anyone say they wouldn’t accept him moving now. But it has to benefit us as much as him and that’s where the negativity comes in
We as fans would certainly like him to put the club ahead of himself, which he has done for 6/7 of his contractual period, and has shown no signs that he won't do so for the remaining 1/7th. If one of (hopefully no more than) 3 or 4 clubs in the world steps forward, and the club agrees to it, he will move for a fee. This he has indicated through interviews, not through attention seekers in a blog. I even believe in my heart that he won't automatically leave for free next year, unless those same clubs moves for him. I don't think he will move to Getafe for £300K/w, just because he's a free agent. But he wants to win things, he's had 6 years without so much as a league cup to show for it, and 18 months of transfer inactivity prior to this window doesn't exactly send the loudest signals that this is about to change anytime soon (yes, yes, new stadium and all that), even if we know nothing about what's being said behind the curtains. Which is why I think it's important to go for the cups, however insignificant they may seem to us fans. I don't think many players of his calibre would be too happy standing in front of an empty mantlepiece saying "sure, I've got no medals after 10 years in a top club, but at least I helped them to a healthy financial posision".

As I said, I believe he wants a dream move, not a move, and signing a 5 year deal would take away mostly all of his cards. Eriksen with a £150M price tag is probably a no-go, and he's quite aware of that, I think. Even more so because I don't believe he's a Berbatov or Bale who refuses to train, have his agent spread sh*t or throw toys around to force a move, he's a Scandi after all! He's happy to be here if nothing materializes, and hasn't burned any bridges as of yet.

We as fans would certainly like him to put the club ahead of himself, which he has done for 6/7 of his contractual period, and has shown no signs that he won't do so for the remaining 1/7th. If one of (hopefully no more than) 3 or 4 clubs in the world steps forward, and the club agrees to it, he will move for a fee. This he has indicated through interviews, not through attention seekers in a blog. I even believe in my heart that he won't automatically leave for free next year, unless those same clubs moves for him. I don't think he will move to Getafe for £300K/w, just because he's a free agent. But he wants to win things, he's had 6 years without so much as a league cup to show for it, and 18 months of transfer inactivity prior to this window doesn't exactly send the loudest signals that this is about to change anytime soon (yes, yes, new stadium and all that), even if we know nothing about what's being said behind the curtains. Which is why I think it's important to go for the cups, however insignificant they may seem to us fans. I don't think many players of his calibre would be too happy standing in front of an empty mantlepiece saying "sure, I've got no medals after 10 years in a top club, but at least I helped them to a healthy financial posision".

As I said, I believe he wants a dream move, not a move, and signing a 5 year deal would take away mostly all of his cards. Eriksen with a £150M price tag is probably a no-go, and he's quite aware of that, I think. Even more so because I don't believe he's a Berbatov or Bale who refuses to train, have his agent spread sh*t or throw toys around to force a move, he's a Scandi after all! He's happy to be here if nothing materializes, and hasn't burned any bridges as of yet.

But he could be a big part player with a load of cheap medals of a legend with none or one or two
Rafa won nothing here and didn’t win much his whole career but the guy is a legend for some BIG clubs
Berbatov talks about spurs as his club rather than United as it was the club that was him...
There are some shocking players with CL winners medals and league medals.
A certain Australian keeper won back to back league medals and didn’t play a game. I wouldn’t be proud of that personally but I guess he can argue he contributed in training. I mean Mark Schwarzer might be a legend to someone but he ain’t known most fans

We paid less for him because he'd run down his contract and only had a year left o_O
That's the Ajax model as we know it! But football is making me feel really old. 5-6 years ago could easily have been a different century, things move so fast. I was excited when we acquired him, mainly because he was a very promising young player, but also that he and Paulinho were the only ones I've even heard of. But he wasn't much more than that, we have made him better just as much as he has made us. Today you have clubs going mental over De Ligt, De Jong and all the other De Somethings, and throwing gazillions after them (not that they're not good players, mind), often forgetting that they're part of a system which may or may not transfer well to a league like the Premiership. I know that clubs were always after unearthing the next gem, but I see so much averageness presented as brilliance, even if football (like most other sports) are mainly a product. Again, I'm probably getting old.

I had this discussion the other day about how maybe we haven't gotten so much better, but the general level has gone down. Jokingly said, how can you explain us playing a CL final with Sissoko as our best player, when we couldn't barely get to the quarters with Bale and Modric!

I know I've deviated wildly here, but anyway.

But he could be a big part player with a load of cheap medals of a legend with none or one or two
Rafa won nothing here and didn’t win much his whole career but the guy is a legend for some BIG clubs
Berbatov talks about spurs as his club rather than United as it was the club that was him...
There are some shocking players with CL winners medals and league medals.
A certain Australian keeper won back to back league medals and didn’t play a game. I wouldn’t be proud of that personally but I guess he can argue he contributed in training. I mean Mark Schwarzer might be a legend to someone but he ain’t known most fans
Haha good ol' VdV, if you can only muster 60 minutes a game, Spurs was the place to be at that time. Cue ketchup strike. He was a Spurs great, but he was more of a lucky hit and good timing, IMO. What I absolutely love about Spurs v2.0 - Poch Edition, if you use us as a stepping stone, you'd better set your sights pretty damn high. I don't really trust or care what Berba says, we were a stepping stone and he made no attempt to hide it. That Spurs in hindsight were a nicer place to be because you could smoke behind the goalposts at Chigwell but not at Carrington, so be it. Modric talks highly about us too, but I'll bet you anything that he wouldn't have chosen differently today, given the opportunity.

But to be honest, and while all humans are different, I don't think the majority of players overthink their role in acquiring silverware, and the stories they tell about them won't be any more modest. As in society in general, a lot of people are often more than comfortable getting credit for others' work, and every man on a team has a role to fill. As many have said, Dejan bloody Lovren has featured in both CL and WC finals, which says a whole lot about his teammates.

That is written by a journalist. I've HEARD him talk about it, but what he said was quite different from what is "quoted" here.

He could quite easily come out and say he was misquoted but he hasn’t. If you completely disregard all the quotes and stories etc, does a player typically run his contract down to less than a year if he wants to stay at a club? I suppose it could just be a negotiation tactic to get more money but highly unlikely in my opinion.

He could quite easily come out and say he was misquoted but he hasn’t. If you completely disregard all the quotes and stories etc, does a player typically run his contract down to less than a year if he wants to stay at a club? I suppose it could just be a negotiation tactic to get more money but highly unlikely in my opinion.
If I had to correct every time I was quoted incorrectly, I'd have nothing else to do, and I'm not half as often involved with media as Eriksen is. "Quotes" are incorrect more often than not.

Back