• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Tittle-Tattle

We can change this after Brexit. We will be allowed to set homegrown rules by nationality again, rather than 'trained', once we are out of the EU.

Has this really got anything to do with the EU or are you just shoe-Horning that in here?

Do Kazakh or Georgian teams playing in the Europa League have different player registration rules to the EU28 nations?

It 'may' change for the EPL but surely not for UEFA competitions.

We won't because it's a ruling set by UEFA not the EU.

There's 2 different things

1) We will be free to change EPL rules
2) Re European competitions - UEFA and EU aren't the same thing (though they are similarly malign and corrupt). There are 55 countries in UEFA, 27 in the EU. We'd actually tip that balance so non-EU UEFA countries would have the majority in UEFA votes (28 vs 27) about things like this. So we could initiate a block vote to stop EU laws being applied to non-EU FAs

2) Re European competitions - UEFA and EU aren't the same thing (though they are similarly malign and corrupt). There are 55 countries in UEFA, 27 in the EU. We'd actually tip that balance so non-EU UEFA countries would have the majority in UEFA votes (28 vs 27) about things like this. So we could initiate a block vote to stop EU laws being applied to non-EU FAs

The FA want the HGP number to increase by 5 once we leave.

Clubs in UEFA will not tip the balance as they are rewarded nicely by UEFA, also I don’t see the Georgian/Maltas of the world flooded with Brazilians.

Depending on how we leave Clubs will find it harder to sign players from overseas as they will need work permits and clearance.

1. They already do set their own rules
2. What do you envisage these changes being? Limiting non-nationals (well after Brexit 8 of our squad will need permission to remain in the UK)? A change in the breakdown of what countries get what teams in what tournament?

I'm not sure how Brexit will improve Spurs.

Brexit - the good news is once this goes through, the restrictions on needing 8 HG will no longer apply.

We also get to fire sale all foreign players back to where they came from so it’s like back in the early 80’s again. Work permits will be required as exceptions for any and all Carlos Kickaballs (like Lamela, Eric Dier and Ben Davies for example) and I expect Prime Minister Farage to limit these to a maximum of two per team initially - to ease transition - before eventually becoming 2 per division.

Work permits will be automatically declined for players such as Sanchez, Wanyama, Sissoko, Aurier, NDombele, Rose and Walker-Peters.

Last edited:
The FA want the HGP number to increase by 5 once we leave.

Clubs in UEFA will not tip the balance as they are rewarded nicely by UEFA, also I don’t see the Georgian/Maltas of the world flooded with Brazilians.

Depending on how we leave Clubs will find it harder to sign players from overseas as they will need work permits and clearance.

If we have a skills-led approach, it would actually be easier to recruit players from South America, Asia and Africa. It's only players from EU27 where there might be more restrictions on the not very good ones

If we have a skills-led approach, it would actually be easier to recruit players from South America, Asia and Africa. It's only players from EU27 where there might be more restrictions on the not very good ones

At best it will be the same as now.

It was a nightmare signing overseas players before x amount of caps etc.

Plus as mention the FA have a say in it all they will insist on decreasing the number of overseas players.

1. They already do set their own rules
2. What do you envisage these changes being? Limiting non-nationals (well after Brexit 8 of our squad will need permission to remain in the UK)? A change in the breakdown of what countries get what teams in what tournament?

I'm not sure how Brexit will improve Spurs.

The EPL rules currently have to abide by EU laws, which don't allow you to discriminate by nationality. So its currently illegal for homegrown to mean UK national.

The changes I'd like to see are:
1) Homegrown meaning UK national, so City and Chelsea can't game it by bringing over hundred of schoolboys
2) Steadily increasing the 8 homegrown quota to, as the FA want, 13.

At best it will be the same as now.

It was a nightmare signing overseas players before x amount of caps etc.

Plus as mention the FA have a say in it all they will insist on decreasing the number of overseas players.

It's more the lower leagues that's the problem

Personally I don't think work permits should be given to any player joining a club beneath the top 2 tiers - they clearly aren't highly skilled workers

The EPL rules currently have to abide by EU laws, which don't allow you to discriminate by nationality. So its currently illegal for homegrown to mean UK national.

The changes I'd like to see are:
1) Homegrown meaning UK national, so City and Chelsea can't game it by bringing over hundred of schoolboys
2) Steadily increasing the 8 homegrown quota to, as the FA want, 13.

But it's a UEFA rule about home grown players not an EU one so nothing will change and their definition won't change unless the majority force a vote through (can't see that happening)

It's more the lower leagues that's the problem

Personally I don't think work permits should be given to any player joining a club beneath the top 2 tiers - they clearly aren't highly skilled workers

It’s going to be a mess for any club wanting to sign players.

It’s going to make the process longer and more difficult to plan.

All ifs and buts

Money normally wins out, I would expect the PL to get their way. It is also pointless, there is no evidence that having more homegrown players would improve the national team.

This podcast is interesting on Brexit and football

I’ve always argued the same, it’s better to have less HGPs that have had to get past a higher standard than have more who play in an average league.

Since the changes we have missed out on 1 tournament ?

It’s an easy out for the FA all the time we are but winning, blame the PL and the number of English players the manager has to pick from.

I’ll have a listen to that later - cheers!

Back