• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Tittle-Tattle

Tottenham hold discussions with Trippier replacement, Pochettino awaits his decision
TOTTENHAM are moving quickly to replace Kieran Trippier and discussions have already reportedly taken place with his successor.
By RYAN TAYLOR
PUBLISHED: 14:14, Thu, Jul 18, 2019 | UPDATED: 14:21, Thu, Jul 18, 2019

The right-back sealed a surprise switch to Atletico Madrid on Wednesday for a fee of £21million.

That leaves Mauricio Pochettino slightly shortchanged at right back and he is now weighing up his options.

He currently feels there is enough cover between Juan Foyth, Kyle Walker-Peters and Serge Aurier.

Tottenham are almost certainly eyeing a left-back after Danny Rose was left at home for their pre-season tour of Singapore.

According to Duncan Castles, they have already held discussions with Dani Alves, who is a free-agent after leaving Paris Saint-Germain.

“One of the interesting aspects of this deal [Trippier to Atletico] was that we told you a couple of weeks ago that Tottenham were preparing to sell both Trippier and Serge Aurier,” he told the Transfer Podcast.

“Now one of those players is moving out.

“We also told you that they’ve been in discussions with Dani Alves about the possibility of coming in and sharing the right back role with Kyle Walker-Peters.

“That deal has not been secured, I can update you on that and Dani is still choosing between a number of options.

“As we’ve said before he has options to go back to Brazil, he also has strong options in Serie A.

“It looks like that could be resolved before the end of this month.”

Alves was one of the best players at this summer’s Copa America with winners Brazil, proving that he still has what it takes to play at the top level at 36 years old.

He became the first ever football player in history to win 40 trophies as a player.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...e-agent-Spurs-Kieran-Trippier-Atletico-gossip

Alessandro Florenzi of Roma has been touted, he looks the part but is 28 and may be a bit old for us. The other one mentioned in the same report is Hysaj who is at Napoli. This guy is 25, looks a very good defender but not much going forwards as opposed to Florenzi who seems to have amazing vision and the ability to compliment it.

Alessandro Florenzi of Roma has been touted, he looks the part but is 28 and may be a bit old for us. The other one mentioned in the same report is Hysaj who is at Napoli. This guy is 25, looks a very good defender but not much going forwards as opposed to Florenzi who seems to have amazing vision and the ability to compliment it.
We were also tenuously linked to Marseille's Japanese right back earlier in the window. I think I saw a suggested fee of about £10 million.

However, it also follows on from comments that Neil Lennon made this week, as per BBC Sport, as he hinted that Tierney was worth much more and while alluding to Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s £50m deal to join Man Utd this summer, he suggested that his star man should be equally as valuable if not more so given his experience and quality displayed at the highest level.

It’s difficult to disagree with him in this case, as ultimately Tierney has proven himself more so and Celtic would perhaps be well within their rights to demand much more than the touted £25m figure.

AWB has two clear advantages over Tierney. Firstly he proved he could cope with PL football in England, which is a big step up in terms of quality from Scottish football and he also counts as homegrown for both a PL and UEFA perspective. To find a sensible level for Tierney's transfer fee you would have to consider what it would cost to sign a good left back from one of the smaller football leagues like Greece or Poland or Croatia or perhaps (at a stretch) Belgium or the Netherlands (I say at a stretch because both of leagues are a lot better than Scotland's)

Last edited:
Watching that ‘Foyth at right back’ video clip has got me wondering if we’re moving away from the flying wing backs approach.

Ben Davies has always been more considered and careful with his passing approach, using possession based one-twos to gain ground, rather than the Rose/Walker approach of ‘run at them really quick and hard’.

Watching Foyth made me think there was similarities to Davies (albeit more flashy and skilful) in how he gained ground.

Could we therefore be going towards the more ‘inverted full back’ approach ( a la Pep) and pushing the full backs inside to help overload and contribute to the attacking phases?

If so, as we ain’t going to play with traditional chalk boots wingers, are we just going to overload the centre altogether? That would make sense with the breaking-the-lines power and progression of NDombele and Sissoko and Winks anchoring. Lo Celso would also fit that model I believe.

Which then makes me wonder if KWP will actually understudy Davies this year. He’s very comfortable at LB, but being right footed is more likely to come inside and retain possession, rather than tank it for the byline.

Food for thought, but makes a lot of the transfer rumours hilariously inaccurate if I happen to have called this one (stranger things have happened!)

For all the players we are apparently willing to let go this Summer there doesn't seem to have been a great deal of transfer rumours yet this window does there?

Watching that ‘Foyth at right back’ video clip has got me wondering if we’re moving away from the flying wing backs approach.

Ben Davies has always been more considered and careful with his passing approach, using possession based one-twos to gain ground, rather than the Rose/Walker approach of ‘run at them really quick and hard’.

Watching Foyth made me think there was similarities to Davies (albeit more flashy and skilful) in how he gained ground.

Could we therefore be going towards the more ‘inverted full back’ approach ( a la Pep) and pushing the full backs inside to help overload and contribute to the attacking phases?

If so, as we ain’t going to play with traditional chalk boots wingers, are we just going to overload the centre altogether? That would make sense with the breaking-the-lines power and progression of NDombele and Sissoko and Winks anchoring. Lo Celso would also fit that model I believe.

Which then makes me wonder if KWP will actually understudy Davies this year. He’s very comfortable at LB, but being right footed is more likely to come inside and retain possession, rather than tank it for the byline.

Food for thought, but makes a lot of the transfer rumours hilariously inaccurate if I happen to have called this one (stranger things have happened!)
I think I saw some rumours somewhere that Poch was looking to change to a more traditional 4-3-3 system next season

I think I saw some rumours somewhere that Poch was looking to change to a more traditional 4-3-3 system next season
Yes. I saw that as well.

The thing I don’t like about that is it means we are playing Kane +2 of Eriksen, Dele, Son & Moura.

If it’s Eriksen and Dele, then we have 2 narrow creators. If it’s Son and Moura then we have two slightly wider pace and trickery merchants - both who Poch has also played as poachers off of Kane.

I’m struggling to see how we achieve a balance.

Will he play Kane + Son/Moura as a front pair, with Dele/Eriksen as a No10. Very narrow again if so and almost resembles the diamond from last year which I bloody hated. Also means leaving out Dele or Eriksen which I can’t see - we win games typically when we start with ‘the DESK’ (Dele,Eriksen,Son,Kane) and this would mean one or two sitting out!

Yes. I saw that as well.

The thing I don’t like about that is it means we are playing Kane +2 of Eriksen, Dele, Son & Moura.

If it’s Eriksen and Dele, then we have 2 narrow creators. If it’s Son and Moura then we have two slightly wider pace and trickery merchants - both who Poch has also played as poachers off of Kane.

I’m struggling to see how we achieve a balance.

Will he play Kane + Son/Moura as a front pair, with Dele/Eriksen as a No10. Very narrow again if so and almost resembles the diamond from last year which I bloody hated. Also means leaving out Dele or Eriksen which I can’t see - we win games typically when we start with ‘the DESK’ (Dele,Eriksen,Son,Kane) and this would mean one or two sitting out!
One of Eriksen or Dele and one of Son or Moura perhaps? Either of Dele or Eriksen could also drop into a midfield 3 as well remember....

Midfield - perm 3 out of Ndombele, Sissoko, Winks, Dele, Lo Celso, Dier, Wanyama, Lamela and Eriksen (although I expect he will go if we bring in Lo Celso).
Forwards - perm 3 out of Kane, Son, Moira, Dele, Eriksen, Sessegnon, Lamela and Llorente.

Those lists perhaps show that at least 2 of the 3 of Dier, Wanyama and Lamela are kind of superfluous to requirements now (unless one of a Dier or a Wanyama is happy to provide cover at center half?)

Last edited:
One of Dele or Eriksen could also drop into a midfield 3 as well.
That’s a possibility. Although I think it impacted them both last year doing that.

Just mapping out how it could look then (below) and I reckon we currently have gaps at CB, MC (Lo Celso?) and ST (Llorente or Parrot?).

I see Sessegnon as a forward but also one for the future, hence haven’t guessed him into these line ups....

upload_2019-7-18_21-3-2.jpeg

upload_2019-7-18_21-3-16.jpeg

For all the players we are apparently willing to let go this Summer there doesn't seem to have been a great deal of transfer rumours yet this window does there?

Some of them are crap (relative to likely wages) - Janssen and GKN
Wanyama probalby isnt a must-have for many teams, but might be 2nd or 3rd choice in that position for teams, hence them waiting
Lamela hasnt really done much for any teams of note to come in for him

I'm surprised that no-one has matched Toby's £25m release clause though

So at first we were complaining we don't have enough options and now we can't fit all our first team players in the starting XI. Yeesh...
Not that no, I was talking about achieving balance across the squad. Both in terms of affording rotation whilst supporting the chosen formations, but also not having too many forwards and not enough defenders for example, to support that tactic/formation.

That’s a possibility. Although I think it impacted them both last year doing that.

Just mapping out how it could look then, and I reckon we’d have gaps at CB, MC (Lo Celso?) and ST (Llorente or Parrot).

I see Sessegnon as a forward but also one for the future, hence haven’t guessed him into these line ups....

View attachment 6933

View attachment 6934
I think if playing a 4-3-3 we would have Eriksen, Lamela or Dele wide of Kane as opposed to playing centrally behind him. One of Son, Moira or Sessegnon would then be on the other flank. I think it would a bit more like Liverpool 2017/18 where they played Firminho through the middle, one pacy wide player in Mane or Salah and a more creative player in Coutinho on the opposite flank with a bit more license to roam. There is also then the option of playing two of a Son, Moira or Sessegnon if wanting pace on both wings.

The 4th/5th center half spot can perhaps be covered by Foyth/Davies and/or Dier/Wanyama.

Last edited:
I think if playing a 4-3-3 we would have Eriksen, Lamela or Dele wide of Kane as opposed to playing centrally behind him. One of Son, Moira or Sessegnon would then be on the other flank. I think it would a bit more like Liverpool 2017/18 where they played Firminho through the middle, one pacy wide player in Mane or Salad and a more creative player in Coutinho on the opposite flank with a bit more license to roam.
I can’t decide! Neither option feels quite right, with the personal we have.

Going to be really interesting to see what formation Poch is going to go with!

Back