• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Tittle-Tattle

I think the style of play of the two players is a little different. Mane has the pace advantage in receiving the ball in behind for example, but I don't think their roles for Liverpool were/are particularly different. Both played wide left (or right) in a 4-3-3. Both were/are given the ball early and asked to run at the opposition, cutting inside where possible, both were/are free'd of defensive responsibility other than tracking the runs forward of their full back in direct opposition (if they dare make them). I don't think having Coutinho or Mane on the left of midfield changes Liverpool's defensive game one iota.

Fair enough.

I always saw it very much as Coutinho being the link man between midfield and attack, while nominally on the left he spent a lot of time coming central and trying to pick out forward runners etc.

He added a bit of craft to their game.

When he leaves, IMO, that link disappears. Now its a more direct game with the forwards all pressing on and going for goal.

Personally I see quite a different style. Much less refined, much less appealling - but it seems much more effective (though I do wonder if they can keep it up)

I agree with the Sissoko-Ndombele comparison: you can't compare a 22-year old with a 29-year old when it comes to caps and I would be silly to make such an assessment based on caps. But when comparing Sissoko with Nzonzi, which was the point of contention, they're practically the same age. So, same age, same position, same nationality. In this case wouldn't caps be an objective measure to determine who is the better player? And I'm not talking one has 40 and the other 35, but one has 55 and the other 14.

You can generalize that facts/stats can be cherry-picked and have a valid point, but personally I don't quote facts that won't stand up to scrutiny.

Anywho, back to transfers...

Ah yes, thats right. Which is why I explained a litany of reasons as to how international football doesnt actually compare to domestic football, and so how/why the comparison is moot.

I do not accept your logic in that more caps=better player. And I explained why. And you ignored it, only to come up later and try and have a pop at me over the same subject.

I couldnt give a fudge about international football.

And the comparison with N'Zonzi was in context of them being the 5th choice/utility midfield player.

I do actually thin N'zonzi is a better footballer than Sissoko, and I think in that position he would offer us more. I also think if thats all Sissoko is in our squad then its prudent to sell him. There were a number of factors going into that comparison - but you dumb it down to "more caps=better", and then try telling me " I don't quote facts that won't stand up to scrutiny". Well, your facts are entirely true, while also being irrelevant, so Ill leave you to decide how that bears up to scrutiny.

Real Madrid's Spain midfielder Dani Ceballos, 22, is close to signing forArsenal. (Mundo Deportivo - in Spanish)

Tottenham's Denmark midfielder Christian Eriksen, 27, is one of the names identified by Atletico Madrid as they look to sign a playmaker. (Evening Standard)

Roma cannot afford Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld's £25m release clause and could offer Italy midfielder Nicolo Zaniolo, 20, as part of the deal to sign the 30-year-old Belgium centre-back. (Mirror)

William Saliba wants to seal a transfer to the Gunners but Saint-Etienneprefer rivals Tottenham's offer for the 18-year-old French centre-back. (Sun)

Malcom 'makes Barcelona transfer decision' amid Arsenal and Everton interest
Malcom’s agent has reportedly told Barcelona his client wants to leave this summer.

Barcelona hijacked Roma’s deal for the Brazilian a year ago but he has failed to make the grade at the Nou Camp.

Malcom struggled for opportunities last term and his hopes are likely to be dented further by the arrival of Antoine Griezmann.

Arsenal are interested in a loan deal for the 22-year-old as an alternative to Wilfried Zaha, with Crystal Palace refusing to budge on their £80m valuation.

Everton boss Marco Silva is also believed to be a big fan and wants to add a left-footed winger to his squad.

'GREAT BUSINESS FOR SPURS'

As we just told you, Atletico have agreed a £21.7m deal with Tottenham to sign England right-back Kieran Trippier, with that move having just been discussed in the 'Transfer Show'.

And SSN reporter Mark McAdam thinks the potential deal could prove good business for Spurs: "It's great business for Tottenham. He's been a loyal servant to the club. It takes a lot of character to go abroad, learn a different language, put yourself in a different environment. What an opportunity to work under Diego Simeone, too."

"He said goodbye to his team-mates yesterday"

Good Morning Transfers have the latest on Kieran Trippier's switch to Atletico Madrid pic.twitter.com/s8kROXoYyR

— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) July 17, 2019

Fair enough.

I always saw it very much as Coutinho being the link man between midfield and attack, while nominally on the left he spent a lot of time coming central and trying to pick out forward runners etc.

He added a bit of craft to their game.

When he leaves, IMO, that link disappears. Now its a more direct game with the forwards all pressing on and going for goal.

Personally I see quite a different style. Much less refined, much less appealling - but it seems much more effective (though I do wonder if they can keep it up)

That’s 100% correct

Mane isn’t a creator and isn’t a great passer

In fact the only time Coutinho played in a 3 was when others we’re injured. He played more like erisken when everyone was fit IMO in a midfield 3

On pre season tour squad update:

"Vincent Janssen, Georges-Kevin Nkoudou and Danny Rose have been granted additional time off in order to explore prospective opportunities with other clubs."

Young forward ‘didn’t give in’ to Tottenham appeal – Signing seen as big victory
By Tom Coast -

17th July 2019

Whether Tottenham were really that interested in Skov Olsen, we’ll probably never know, but what is certain is that the Italian media like to think they were as it makes Bologna look even better.

The Serie A side appear to have come out on top in the race to sign the young Dane, and in Gazzetta dello Sport, Corriere dello Sportand local newspaper Il Resto del Carlino, Spurs are mentioned as having been the competition.

The extent of their interest is certainly debatable, but there is a recurring mention that his move to Bologna was a ‘choice’ rather than all he had at his disposal.

Il Resto del Carlino explain he ‘didn’t give in’ to the attraction of a move to Tottenham or Bayern Munich, who ‘returned to the fore’.

If that really is the case, then the 19-year-old has chosen regular game time over a big move, perhaps seeing Bologna as the ideal stepping stone to make it in Europe.

Gazzetta dello Sport, however, believe the Bundesliga side only enquired, suggesting their interest was minimal compared to Spurs’.

All in all, it appears Bologna are the ones who will be helping Olsen develop further, and if Tottenham were as interested as they have been made out to be, they will undoubtedly be keeping an eye on how he fares in Serie A next year.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/young-forward-didnt-give-tottenham-appeal-signing-seen-big-victory/

Ah yes, thats right. Which is why I explained a litany of reasons as to how international football doesnt actually compare to domestic football, and so how/why the comparison is moot.

I do not accept your logic in that more caps=better player. And I explained why. And you ignored it, only to come up later and try and have a pop at me over the same subject.

I couldnt give a fudge about international football.

And the comparison with N'Zonzi was in context of them being the 5th choice/utility midfield player.

I do actually thin N'zonzi is a better footballer than Sissoko, and I think in that position he would offer us more. I also think if thats all Sissoko is in our squad then its prudent to sell him. There were a number of factors going into that comparison - but you dumb it down to "more caps=better", and then try telling me " I don't quote facts that won't stand up to scrutiny". Well, your facts are entirely true, while also being irrelevant, so Ill leave you to decide how that bears up to scrutiny.

Sissoko has more caps than Ginola and cantona - almost combined.

I’m a little concerned that we could see Eriksen and Alderwierald also rose all go late in the window. If this happens we will be up against it to get decent replacements in with limited time.

Three weeks left of the window and at the moment whilst Ndombele will improve us we still look short in areas.

Full backs especially and now Lampost has gone no back up striker.

Fingers crossed all pans out well but I’m a little worried.

I’m a little concerned that we could see Eriksen and Alderwierald also rose all go late in the window. If this happens we will be up against it to get decent replacements in with limited time.

Three weeks left of the window and at the moment whilst Ndombele will improve us we still look short in areas.

Even an average chairman wouldn't allow himself to be put in a position where he could lose key players without having replacements lined up. Don't worry, mate, there are plenty of coals in the fire, but some moves require others to precede them before they can be made. The important thing is that our main transfer, Ndombele, was done early. That was one area of the squad that needed to be filled. All others will be one out one in (Eriksen - Lo Celso, Rose - Sessegnon) and the ins have already been identified and being are worked on.

Feel better now? :)

I wouldn’t worry too much. I’m sure if that all happens that we get Sessegnon and Lo Celso in, so that’s two extra bodies as a minimum. Possibly a CB we haven’t heard of now Andersen and the St Etienne kid have gone.

Back