• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Trippier

Are we missing something? Napoli, Juve, Munich and Athletico chasing Trippier. I don’t get it. Are we getting rid of a player who is better than we think because these are top clubs interested in him.

I wish him well, he is a decent bloke and a good professional

He's a good RB as well.

Athleti are no mugs, its not like he is taking an obvious step down.

Clearly he had an absolute 'mare last season, though I dont think it was all his fault he was undeniably poor, but - he is a very good footballer.

Really I think its most likely he just doesnt suit us.

Good luck to him though, no reason at all for any ill feeling.

Are we missing something? Napoli, Juve, Munich and Athletico chasing Trippier. I don’t get it. Are we getting rid of a player who is better than we think because these are top clubs interested in him.

He has not turned into a poor player ( he just had a poor season), but sometimes players get stale and added to his age now its probably the best time for him/us for him to move on.

Good luck to him.

No, we (or Levy) is just a bit of a master at using the media. That said Trippier is a solid professional who with the right setup and coach is good player at his peek - for a couple more years. He'll never be quick. But he is a good player. Makes sense for everyone I think.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the lad, because of injury he had a bad season and got lambasted on here for it.
Hope his new club and fans get behind him better than some on here did.

Trippier is very ordinary in a back 4. Is that what Athletico play? If so, I’m amazed they’re signing him given that their reputation is built on defensive solidity.

But that defensive solidity isn’t winning things now
It’s keeping them competitive and that’s it...

If it's all true and he does go to Madrid, I wish him all the best. As people have said, he seems a decent bloke and it's not his fault that he got massively over-hyped at the World Cup. If it's true that he wasn't 400% through last season (was it a hernia?), then fair play to him.

He'd have been worshipped at Spurs a few years ago -- remember how we all thought Stevie Carr was the second coming? -- but we're beyond that now. We need better to meet our aspirations.

Do you think I could get odds on Simeone throttling Trippier with his bare hands by Christmas?
That's exactly why we need to replace Trippier. We cannot go into the season with KWP as a potential starter. Your games are won and lost with your fullbacks and I dont think he cant cut it with the big boys. I dont understand why we arent targeting teams who had joy down our flanks last year i.e Dortmund or Ajax. They have decent full backs. I'd take Dani Alves at whatever wage price just to at least teach our RB's how to play and there may be some hope for KWP but I doubt it.

Anyway, I wish Trippier all the best. Seemed like he wanted to stay in his last interview but knew that his time was up. It's definitely a good move for him. He will hopefully be in a title race and is going to a new country so hats off to him. I dont think it's a step down, if anything it could be deemed a step up.

Last edited:
Athletico play with a solid 4-4-2 with a low block and cover from the wide-men. There's not much onus on the fullbacks to get to the byline, rather cross from deep. I think he'll do pretty well for them if they can minimise the 1-on-1 defending he has to do, and that is what their formation is pretty much set up to do across the pitch.

I guess we've historically run ourselves light in certain position (e.g. no cover for Kane, not replacing Dembele) and we should have the numbers without replacing him; quality at RB looks a bit suspect though:

RB: Aurier and KWP
CB: TA, JV, Sanchez and Foyth
LB: Davies and Rose/Sessegnon

I think Foyth will start as our first choice RB, though that then leaves us with 3 CBs as people can only play in one position at a time. Dier really is only an emergency CB as he's a lot shakier there than DM...

I guess we've historically run ourselves light in certain position (e.g. no cover for Kane, not replacing Dembele) and we should have the numbers without replacing him; quality at RB looks a bit suspect though:

RB: Aurier and KWP
CB: TA, JV, Sanchez and Foyth
LB: Davies and Rose/Sessegnon

I think Foyth will start as our first choice RB, though that then leaves us with 3 CBs as people can only play in one position at a time. Dier really is only an emergency CB as he's a lot shakier there than DM...

Potentially we could also move Wanyama back to CB (his original position). King played there for years with no knees

Back