• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dani Alves

'Pace of the premier league' is an absolute myth.

I tend to think of it in terms of the speed of the game and physicality of the game here than literal pace (ie, all the players run fast).

And I dont think thats a myth at all, its pretty frantic and hard for 90 minutes.

Though Im not sure how that applies to Alves, who appears to be a bit of a specimine physically. Who knows if he can hack it?

Id be willing to rely on Pochs judgement, if it ever came to it, rather than just make assumptions because he's 36

I tend to think of it in terms of the speed of the game and physicality of the game here than literal pace (ie, all the players run fast).

And I dont think thats a myth at all, its pretty frantic and hard for 90 minutes.

Though Im not sure how that applies to Alves, who appears to be a bit of a specimine physically. Who knows if he can hack it?

Id be willing to rely on Pochs judgement, if it ever came to it, rather than just make assumptions because he's 36

How many other leagues do you watch? I've seen quite a bit of the Bundesliga and La Liga. They're often just as competitive and physical, if not more so than the EPL.

This is the key point, it's not a constant and you can't just globally slap a tag on an entire league and claim it to be true. How many times did Cardiff or Fulham provide a relentless, physical test to teams last season? It's flimflam.

Physicality of an opponent depends entirely on their squad, manager, philosophy and approach, not the fudging league they play in.

How many other leagues do you watch? I've seen quite a bit of the Bundesliga and La Liga. They're often just as competitive and physical, if not more so than the EPL.

This is the key point, it's not a constant and you can't just globally slap a tag on an entire league and claim it to be true. How many times did Cardiff or Fulham provide a relentless, physical test to teams last season? It's flimflam.

Physicality of an opponent depends entirely on their squad, manager, philosophy and approach, not the fudging league they play in.

There will always be comparisons and exceptions, just as there will always be odd teams/games that buck the "rule", but I dont think its unfair to suggest a general style to a league.

The Premiership is fast, and it is physical.

Thats not to say other leagues arent, but I do believe the EPL has a fairly unique blend of both that can make it rather challenging for some players to adapt.

Time on the ball is at an absolute premium here compared to most leagues Ive seen, for instance.

Though IMO the physicality of a player counts for less in that adaptation than technique. Players with proper technique make their own time and space and take less hits etc generally and do just fine.

I think it's the rate of turnover of the ball. In Southern Europe there is lots of resting in possession and patient build-up. You don't get that in England - the pressing is so immediate

Germany is similar to England, which is why players from there tend to adapt quickly here. But Italy, Spain and France etc. are all much slower paced contests.

There will always be comparisons and exceptions, just as there will always be odd teams/games that buck the "rule", but I dont think its unfair to suggest a general style to a league.

The Premiership is fast, and it is physical.

Thats not to say other leagues arent, but I do believe the EPL has a fairly unique blend of both that can make it rather challenging for some players to adapt.

Time on the ball is at an absolute premium here compared to most leagues Ive seen, for instance.

Though IMO the physicality of a player counts for less in that adaptation than technique. Players with proper technique make their own time and space and take less hits etc generally and do just fine.

Is it what you see or is it what you're told ad nauseum by fudgetard pundits on television?

You've just been convinced by the tired old clinches that get trotted out, which are simply not true.

I think it's the rate of turnover of the ball. In Southern Europe there is lots of resting in possession and patient build-up. You don't get that in England - the pressing is so immediate

Germany is similar to England, which is why players from there tend to adapt quickly here. But Italy, Spain and France etc. are all much slower paced contests.

I'll give you France. The quality of play and pressing is certainly not the same there. I totally disagree on Spain and Italy. The quality sides there press and compete just as well as the quality English sides.

Is it what you see or is it what you're told ad nauseum by fudgetard pundits on television?

You've just been convinced by the tired old clinches that get trotted out, which are simply not true.

I have seen it for myself, but thanks for the vote of confidence in assuming Im easily convinced by fudgetards.

I'll give you France. The quality of play and pressing is certainly not the same there. I totally disagree on Spain and Italy. The quality sides there press and compete just as well as the quality English sides.

But their opponents don't. It's the fierceness of the competition right down the table that makes England distinct. Divers new arrivals to the league speak about it

I'd give him about 15 minutes before the pace and physicality of the EPL permanently overwhelms him.

It would be a bit of a Nicola Berti/Mousa Saib type signing - top player, but no way they should have come to England at that stage in their career.

Zhirkov at Chelsea was a similar type mistake - great player, but wrong time, wrong place
Or Naybet, Davids, Cambiasso...

Edit, Alves has been one of the best RB’s in world football for the last 20 years. Berti and Saib were never at that level.

He's old, but he's still excellent. He could do a job for us for at least a year - definitely worth it on a free, in my opinion. Brings a whole lot of experience in too.

I love this kind of move, all for it. Losing Trippier and bringing in experienced cover could really give KWP the time to shine; I think we'd regret not giving him a proper go. Looks like Auriers going to have a delayed pre season so don't want to rush him back and getting in cash for Tripper to go towards another young talent like Sessegnon works all round.

Only thing is, it's not a very Poch like move. Having said that doesn't he get on and have links with Puyol? Could be a good character reference to have!

Levy is not going to sign Alves, the Brazilian would want stupid money, which is anything more than zero for a player of that age in Daniels mind.

As to style, yes the PL is different generally, but for our games not so much, we are always attacking against two banks of 5.

Back