• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Running Thread

El Guepardo

Rafael Van Der Vaart
Who here runs regularly? How far have you run? What events have you participated in? Any stories? And updates on running here, plus tips, must be a few here that run regularly. I’ll update my post later.

Would love advice on it.

I try and try but I'm a cyclist and I don't think my legs can do running.

Tried doing sprints in my local park, like the old beeb test we did at school. My fitness is the most important part of my life these days and weirdly in some ways I am stronger than 20 years ago.

But I can't jog and I wish I could because it looks fun.

Sprints in my local park are as good as it gets.

Why do you say you can’t jog? Is it because of leg weaknesses? Or past injuries?

It’s excellent that you enjoy cycling as that’s a great alternative to running even if I can never get in to cycling myself. I know people who will cycle to give themselves a good rest between running sessions, or to maintain fitness when they are unable to run due to injury. I never took to cycling myself, I enjoyed it as a kid but my brother had way more passion for it and still does to this day.

Jogging is fun, but you definitely need to be in the right headspace for it. I’ll head out and run in relaxed manner along country paths, by the side of Holes Bay, and then when my fitness returns I’ll continue on in to Poole park. I love just getting out there, seeing nature, seeing animals and birds in their natural habitats and the early morning sun. I’ll run listening to music most of the time but sometimes run without either my phone or music. I enjoy listening to music as the tempo of the music can help me to push on and keep going when it’s tough and it’s a bit of a distraction. It’s not totally safe, because of cyclists but as it’s country path then of course there are no cars etc around so it’s safe enough as long as I keep mind out for cyclists and vice versa.

I was unwell for six months from October - April. Lost my mojo with running and only really getting back in to it last few weeks accompanied by gym sessions. I’m nearly 40 so want to get in to as good shape as I can. My health is important to me, as is trying to find the next woman/women in my life. So I’m doing what I can to get in to great shape and to look as good as I can.

I’ve had a number of injuries in the past so want to stay injury free. That’s one side that I’ll need to work on, performing more stretches and proper warm up and cool down routines. Last summer I was running a 10 miles+ run every 2-3 days, now I’m building back to it after losing my fitness when I was ill.

I’m going to head out for 5am run. Want to make this a daily habit, that accompanied by an evening run after gym session. See where it takes me.

Ran 5 miles tonight in a time of 42 and half minutes. Not that fast admittedly, but my quickest time for 2019 so I’m happy to be recovering from time out and to be getting faster. Especially when I ended with negative splits, which included the need to cross over roads, run sideways whilst waiting to cross and run back on myself. I’ve now run 11.5 miles in total over Monday - today. Increasing mileage, enjoying the workout and feeling in a good place. Hopefully I’ll continue to get faster, and add more miles as the training continues over the summer.

Why do you say you can’t jog? Is it because of leg weaknesses? Or past injuries?

It’s excellent that you enjoy cycling as that’s a great alternative to running even if I can never get in to cycling myself. I know people who will cycle to give themselves a good rest between running sessions, or to maintain fitness when they are unable to run due to injury. I never took to cycling myself, I enjoyed it as a kid but my brother had way more passion for it and still does to.

I think it is just my body does not feel right running.

Glad things are going well for you mate.

Keep doing it and keep updating us. Honestly think the is a link between physical and mental health.

I think it is just my body does not feel right running.

Glad things are going well for you mate.

Keep doing it and keep updating us. Honestly think the is a link between physical and mental health.

Hard to know why your body doesn’t feel right, is there something specific? Any pains or discomforts in areas? Sometimes the first mile can be uncomfortable as the body adapts to running, the heart starts pumping etc akin to taking a car out first thing in the morning on a cold day but knowing that it will take a while before everything ticks over as it should. If it’s that then I can just advise starting slowly and build up gradually, no harm in walking the first bit and then jogging, then walking a bit further until you feel more adapted to it.

I would advise caution though as if there is more to it than just that then it likely isn’t sensible just to rush in to it. This is just my tips and I’m no running coach so don’t really know it all but for what I have experienced and learned through my running history.

I headed out earlier for a mix of walking, running and sprinting. Trying to build on pace. I am happy that when I was sprinting my recovery seemed swift each time. It’s just taking it from there and building consistency and condition for longer periods. I do this after decent gym session too, working on upper body strength but I’m enjoying what I’m doing.

I hear you when you say you're unsure your body can cope with running. It seems hard on the ankles and knees. I've been swimming twice a week this year, outdoor 50m heated pool. Find it almost meditative. I don't manage to swim that far in 30 mins, around 20 lengths of breastroke but its helped lose some weight and clear the head.

I hear you when you say you're unsure your body can cope with running. It seems hard on the ankles and knees. I've been swimming twice a week this year, outdoor 50m heated pool. Find it almost meditative. I don't manage to swim that far in 30 mins, around 20 lengths of breastroke but its helped lose some weight and clear the head.

Also find its good for loosening up the back etc.

Had some chronic knots in my shoulder, after some regular swimming they were gone.

Not a particularly good swimmer, but Im getting into doing it more regularly.

Tried over the last few years to run more and I just dont have it in me. Went through the C25K programme and never ever got the taste for it, and never felt good for doing it either.

I run about twice a week, running about 20K... normally average about 5min 30 a kilometre as every route from my house involves a climb or two. I managed to get round the York marathon in 2017 in 3hr 57mins, but have cut back a lot since then. I have loved running since I was a kid, and fortunately I've not suffered any issues with knees or hips, so hope to be able to carry on through my 50s.

I find it is the best de-stressing activity, and it also gives me time to think over life issues/work issues. I don't think it matters how fast your run, just anything that gets you in the outdoors and raises your heart rate is good for the soul!

Ten years ago my wife would have laughed out loud if I told her she could run ten kms without stopping... she started out walking a lot, then moved onto jogging, and ran 14kms on Sunday without stopping, which included a climb of 140m! Anyone can do it if you build up to it. Go for it and try.

Had loads of operations on my leg so can't really run anymore (or prefer not too anyway), I actually prefer spinning and circuit style classes now anyway.

I have run brick loads. Started as a non-running smoker/borderline alchi to now 15 years of running.

My top advice: run in a way so that you enjoy it, so that you do it again. The mains things being: Run somewhere you like doing it, wear clothes you like, and run in a way you enjoy - slow, fast, mixed, walk, doesn’t matter.

You cannot help but improve if you do it regularly. Also, improvement is very slow at first, seems like barely anything and then suddenly you improve a lot very quickly.

Also the lighter you weigh the easier is it to run fast.

Have completed 3 marathons in the past (Athens, London and Brighton), but currently enjoy running for fun and don’t even time it - take my daughter to school then run 5k or 10k home. Sometimes slow af, some days sprint like a maniac.

But I can't jog and I wish I could because it looks fun.

I had a few bad injuries that took me out of running for a while.

I found if you jog ridiculously slow for a couple mins, then walk for 5 mins, jog 2 mins etc then after a few sessions of this you might be able to. So really a 30-40 min walk with some jogging — even 30 seconds here and there — over time the jogging bits get longer / more fun.

Part of it is training your body that jogging is a thing.

My mate is a 'leg surgeon' i.e. knees, hips, mending broken bones etc.
He is running 100km for charity this weekend.
Nutter.
Says running is good for the legs/bones, the impact keeps bones strong (whereas sitting about idly like me, weakens bone density... this is why old people break bones)
He says when he is sawing/drilling through bones, young active people have extremely hard bone but old gits have bones like soft cheese.

I run every two or three days and trying to up my milage at the moment. Did 11K on Saturday and will do 6 or 7k tomorrow. Also cycling a couple of times a week and trying (unsuccessfully) to get in the pool at least once a week.

I started training to help the mental demons and I now love being fitter. I am currently training for a half Ironman in September. I am not a competer, just aiming to be a completer.

My advice, start slow - don’t worry about your times, the more you do the lighter you will become and the pace will come in time.

I ran parkrun on Saturday, in Poole. I started off far too quickly and was achieving some of my best splits in a 2 minutes 0.5k. In the past that would have seemed more plausible, but now it’s ahead of my training curve. I realised how fast I had run, and then it felt as if I’d struggle to complete the 5k. It was as hard a run as I have had recently. I finished in just over 24 minutes. My best parkrun time this year but 4 minutes slower than my best ever.

Weird thing was that I was caught up with the crowd. I was running the 0.5k at same pace as others around me so it didn’t feel like I was running as fast as I actually was. It’s weird as you travel together, so you are just running and almost lose perspective about pace.

I’m pleased to have completed the event though and hopefully struggling to push on will help my endurance as I was almost running on reserves.

I went for my first 'run' in months yesterday. Using the Zombies Run 5k app..

10 mins walking then a mixture of 1 minute walk + 15 second run before a 10 min 'free form run'. Will get harder as the game goes on and hopefully I'll have some stamina soon.

I went for my first 'run' in months yesterday. Using the Zombies Run 5k app..

10 mins walking then a mixture of 1 minute walk + 15 second run before a 10 min 'free form run'. Will get harder as the game goes on and hopefully I'll have some stamina soon.

Well done. That’s great start and hopefully the zombies run app will keep you motivated. I might give it a go tonight, see how I get on. I haven’t used it in a while so will be interesting see what happens with it.

Back