• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Step up...in wages
New challenge...joining a club that is going out do their way to erode the huge economic advantage they have over most of their rivals, as opposed to the challenge of playing for a club that had been trying to do the opposite.

Don’t buy that personally as we can pay him plenty too and arguably have a bigger challenge with new expectations

It kinda reminds me of people claiming that Toby will go to Arsenal

This is the bit which makes me slightly more relaxed as I ready myself for his departure. Everything about his personality and career choices to date reek of not wanting to be the main man, in the spotlight or really have to compete for his place and the uncertain contract situations of his own making unsettling him make me think we wouldn’t see him kick on to higher levels at a more demanding club.

Yet he was the main man at Ajax before he came to Spurs and is also the main man at international level for his country. The only reason he has not had to compete for his place so far because at Ajax he made himself undroppable and here at Spurs he "makes my pants sticky" and we have no one else that does what he does for us.

Maybe he just wants to leave because he wants to both earn a lot of money £250K a week and win trophies

A very good point, however I think he would find himself in a bad position.

How so? The way I see it he has a winning hand here. If he refuses to sign a new contract Levy cannot ask for silly money because he cannot risk Eriksen going on a free. Unlike you and I Eriksen has no particular affiliation to Spurs and could easily leave on a Bosman next summer. He will not be in a bad position as he would just be honoring his contract.

Have a feeling he's got his eye on those free transfer wages.

Would personally rather he leaves this summer than hangs around with no new contract.

Indeed, if I were in his situation if I did not get the move I wanted this summer I would simply refuse to sign a new contract. A Spurs fan that turned on him would be a hypocrite, if they expected him to stay but at the same time would be happy for us to dump the likes of Trippier or Wanyama

Yet he was the main man at Ajax before he came to Spurs and is also the main man at international level for his country. The only reason he has not had to compete for his place so far because at Ajax he made himself undroppable and here at Spurs he "makes my pants sticky" and we have no one else that does what he does for us.

Maybe he just wants to leave because he wants to both earn a lot of money £250K a week and win trophies
I guess I didn’t express it as intended, what I meant was he is the main man due to teams relying on his technical ability, not an ego driven personality requirement. No doubt his ability made him unstoppable for us, Ajax and Denmark but if he went to a club with a bigger / better squad than ours I’d be intrigued if he would perform better with less reliance on him or if being rotated would affect his confidence / rhythm.

There are 4 or 5 clubs that would probably give him 250k and guarantee domestic trophies and that would be understandable. Perhaps I shouldn’t comment on rumours but if United are his destination it choice I’d be comfortable staying that trophies or wanting more competition for his place were motives.

Don’t buy that personally as we can pay him plenty too and arguably have a bigger challenge with new expectations

It kinda reminds me of people claiming that Toby will go to Arsenal
I probably shouldn’t have commented on a newspaper link, but him joining united would be a financial decision imo as they have a looser wage structure than ours, aren’t stable in terms of their manager and strategy and were a way behind us in terms of contesting for a trophy.

I’d never considered Toby joining Arsenal and given their limitations on spending wage wise I don’t see the link. I could see united going for him as they wouldn’t be concerned re the length of contract vs his age along with offering top wages.

Last edited:
There is a middle way - if there aren't any buyers. Eriksen signs a new contract with a release clause. He'd get a sign on fee, and double his wages. We'd be protected, and he wouldn't screw the club recieving a transfer fee.

That works for Spurs but not necessarily for him. Why should he sign a new contract when in a new year he can get a massive signing on fee. If I were him and had no affiliation to Spurs I wouldn't. I I get not get the move I wanted I would simply honour the rest of my contract and move for nothing. While should he do us any favours?

There is a middle way - if there aren't any buyers. Eriksen signs a new contract with a release clause. He'd get a sign on fee, and double his wages. We'd be protected, and he wouldn't screw the club recieving a transfer fee.

There will always be buyers, the issue will be the fee. And if he feels Levy is pricing him out of a move with 12 months left then he will simply look after himself and move for nothing in 12 months

That’s not exactly a middle way as it gives more to us (Tottenham Hotspur, not Glory-Glory) in the equation than Eriksen. If he can run down his contract any money a club would have had to give to us (Spurs, not GG) is available to be given to him (please see The Curious Case of Campbell, Judas).

Sums the situation up perfectly.

That works for Spurs but not necessarily for him. Why should he sign a new contract when in a new year he can get a massive signing on fee. If I were him and had no affiliation to Spurs I wouldn't. I I get not get the move I wanted I would simply honour the rest of my contract and move for nothing. While should he do us any favours?

Why? Because spending a year with a team unit when you’re there without goodwill is not a nice place to be. No one wants it.

So if you can’t get your move now - earn now from a sign on fee and doubled wages - and set the release clause low enough to earn again when you sign for the next side...plus leave everyone happy. Not sure he would lose out financially.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

If he signs for United it means one thing, all he cares about is money
Why? Because spending a year with a team unit when you’re there without goodwill is not a nice place to be. No one wants it.

So if you can’t get your move now - earn now from a sign on fee and doubled wages - and set the release clause low enough to earn again when you sign for the next side...plus leave everyone happy. Not sure he would lose out financially.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Goodwill? So when it comes to a player like Janssen you cannot wait to see the back of him, but when it comes to Eriksen you want to force him to sign a new contract. Heck if Levy wants him out of the club then he is going to have to lower his asking price. Supposing no one comes in for Toby what then? He would be in the same position.

If he plays his well next season just as Ramsey did at the Goons fans will get behind him. If management chooses to dump him in the reserves for a season then that is on them and would probably just harden his resolve. There will be no absence of good will from his teammates because they know every player needs to do what is best for them.

If Eriksen refuses to sign a new contract it will not be in my personal interest as a Spurs fan but I respect his right to do it. The ball is in Levy's court

1. Agree a deal with Eriksen
2. Sell Eriksen now even if it means for less than he would otherwise want
3. Allow Eriksen to leave on a free

If I am Eriksen if I am not offered a wage acceptable to me, and you decide to price m eout of a move this summer to a club I want to go, then there is no way I am signing a new contract, fcuk good will.

The truth is Levy dropped the ball here. Kane and Dele always seem to have at least 3 years left on their contracts and then they are renewed. Levy failed to do that 2 years ago so should have sorted it out last season. Maybe Eriksen asked for too much money and it was not Levy's fault. Perhaps it is unfair to say that Levy dropped the ball. But once Eriksen has a year left then all of a sudden Levy no longer holds all the cards. Six months ago there was talk of Eriksen going for £100m+. If he were to go for that now I would accept that Levy is the master negotiator and I should never have doubted him

Eriksen doesn't strike me as a bread head. He probably just fancies a change of scenery. I'd expect him to do right by the club and sign an extension with suitable clauses if he doesn't get the move he wants this summer.

There is NO WAY he will be in the reserves. What folly!

I also don't believe he necessarily does not want to be here.
I had heard for a long time that he wanted a move to Barcelona, and if he couldn't get that would be happy to stay. It appears since I last heard such things (from a very good source I might add) that expanded to include Real Madrid. Basically a massive Spanish club. I heard he didn't talk contracts last summer precisely because he hoped Barca would come in, and then hoped they'd come in again.They haven't. I wonder if he's been stitched by someone on that side, we can speculate but will never know.

My biggest complaint -as it has been with him in the past- is that he DOES get affected by such situations. It does mess with his mind and it does mess with his performance levels IMO. It is not necessarily a criticism more than an observation.

I hope that he re-signs, gets himself the money I believe he deserves to be in, that we in turn do the decent thing and put a reasonable sell clause in there and that he ends up getting his move to Spain eventually if that is what he wants. He could hold out for free-agency, but I don't think it would be beneficial for his career as there are no guarantees he'd end up in Spain anyway. A season is a long time and lots of things change.

The key thing is that we move on from relying on him.
I believe Poch identified it as an issue last summer but was prevented from addressing it by the stadium build plus Dembele, Alderweireld and Rose not leaving as anticipated.
Thanks to the absolute miracles the man worked last season, we are in a position to buy who he really wants, and in Ndombele we are seeing a new gear in our box, a new way to play, a new way to supply the forwards and goalscorer we have. If Clark comes, it hints further at what we can expect, and if Sessegnon also arrives, it will further underscore our determination to use power and pace from deeper positions as well as lock-picking guile.
I think a rested, better-paid and knowing-what-the-score-is Eriksen, whether he looks to leave in a year or not, could be so massive. Especially when there is genuine competition for his place.

Back