• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best season under Poch

Which was our best season under Poch?

• 2014/15

• 2015/16

• 2016/17

• 2017/18

• 2018/19

Results are only viewable after voting.
Lots of good things about each season even the first season when Mason and Bentaleb emerged and we saw what Poch was doing.

16/17 was the best one overall but nothing tops the emotions of the CL run this season for individual moments.

Overall this season has been a drag though. We’ve achieved a lot but Everton away and Chelsea home aside, we’ve never been at our best. We’ve also lost a ridiculous number of games compared to previous years.

I’m optimistic for the future though. Chapter 2 starts here. And that’s when we kick on and win trophies.

COYS

16/17 easily for the reasons everyone has already mentioned but also for me because I really enjoyed watching that team, this season has been great with the CL run but I haven't really enjoyed watching our games.

Also that season we had some real power and weren't afraid to go toe to toe with anyone, we had Dembele and Wanyama at their peak which gave us such a platform to go after teams and press hard.

16/17
Unbeaten at the Lane.
Best defence, best attack.
30+ goals for Harry.
20+ goals for Son and Dele.

Amazing year.

Won fudge all.

That will be a regret for everyone.

We have lost 20 games this season and the football has been dire for large chunks.

Winning is everything of course, but how many games have we played well for 90 minutes?

Chelsea at home in the league?

16/17 easily for the reasons everyone has already mentioned but also for me because I really enjoyed watching that team, this season has been great with the CL run but I haven't really enjoyed watching our games.

Also that season we had some real power and weren't afraid to go toe to toe with anyone, we had Dembele and Wanyama at their peak which gave us such a platform to go after teams and press hard.
Dembele and Wanyama were amazing to watch together. What a combo.

16/17
Unbeaten at the Lane.
Best defence, best attack.
30+ goals for Harry.
20+ goals for Son and Dele.

Amazing year.

Won fudge all.
16/17 and this year are tied for tops for me. 16/17 for performance and stats (and we all know there is no debate about stats) and this year for the CL run and still getting top 4 despite the obstacles in our way/

Purely in terms of the job Pochettino has done and where he's got the squad to in the face of adversity, this season has been his most impressive, but in football terms, and in terms of how enjoyable we've been to watch, 16/17 beats it hands down for me. I've hated watching us play at times this season, and last night, watching the culmination of it all, I was bored rigid.

Yeah, 16-17 was nice but we were playing pressure free most of the way with Chelsea running off with the league. We looked good, played great and had a nice second place finish to look back on. Very easy to be satisfied with that. But one wonders whether it bred a slight sense of complacency.

This season, we had far more stress to overcome, given the lack of signings, the stadium trauma, fatigue from long World Cup runs, bad injuries, Poch poaching rumours, Hugo's drink driving charge, etc.

Yet there we were, battling away at the top for a good while and - against all odds and expectations - making the Champions League final. I can only imagine how that set teeth grinding in many places. This wasn't supposed to be happening for Spurs. So many pundits have had their reputations badly dented by that.

From top to bottom, the club has gained an entirely new form of experience in coming through all the adversity of this season and still finishing top four - and now into Pot 2 for the next CL draw - while getting into the final of the biggest club match in the world. The club's global image is still rising and the financial rewards could be enormous now that there's a more attractive bargaining position for a stadium naming rights deal.

Spurs have also vastly broadened their appeal to talented players in the transfer market. We're not yet amongst the world's biggest clubs, but we've moved into the right neighbourhood. This season's achievements have brought all the assets the club has created - training centre, new stadium, club culture - into sharper focus. This is now a place to be, not a just a place to move up from.

It was a long, arduous grind from the off and not always easy on the eye. But it has been very good for hearts and minds that will take the club forward. In the very big scheme of things, this season stands, in my humble opinion, as the best one so far under Pochettino.

There will be no complacency after this season.

I voted this season:

- we had more players in the World Cup semis than, I think, everyone bar Barca meaning we had more knackered players than others
- we played most of our home league games at a neutral venue
- we didnt sign anyone in the summer of Jan windows; we even sold one of our best CMs in Jan
- we had a lot of injuries

...and despite that, we finished 4th and made the CL final

The thread probably wouldn’t have been started, but I’d stick with the same answer.

This, I’d have enjoyed the fudge out of it, but it wouldn’t have changed the fact that we had a 20 odd point swing to those around us in the last 4 months of the season.

If we had won yesterday, would people still pick 2016-17?
If we had won yesterday it would have been the best season ever in my 39 years of supporting Spurs! How could it not have trumped finishing second no matter how good we were in 16/17? This question can be looked at in two ways when were we the strongest team - no doubt 16/17 or which season was the most memorable, for me with our Champions League run and beating Arsenal in the cup, whooping United and Chelsea it’s this season.

Which ever choice wins the poll, we should savour the fact that we have this special manager in charge who has given us so many big memories in his five seasons. My plea to Mr Levy, a great chairman in so many ways, is to support this guy in the summer. Convince him to stay, give him the tools we need and let’s turn those second places into firsts.

The thread probably wouldn’t have been started.

I've been sitting on the thread for a while waiting for the season to end. I would've started it regardless of yesterday's result. I don't think that I would've changed my vote but it might've made me think about a little longer.

Yeah, 16-17 was nice but we were playing pressure free most of the way with Chelsea running off with the league. We looked good, played great and had a nice second place finish to look back on. Very easy to be satisfied with that. But one wonders whether it bred a slight sense of complacency.

This season, we had far more stress to overcome, given the lack of signings, the stadium trauma, fatigue from long World Cup runs, bad injuries, Poch poaching rumours, Hugo's drink driving charge, etc.

Yet there we were, battling away at the top for a good while and - against all odds and expectations - making the Champions League final. I can only imagine how that set teeth grinding in many places. This wasn't supposed to be happening for Spurs. So many pundits have had their reputations badly dented by that.

From top to bottom, the club has gained an entirely new form of experience in coming through all the adversity of this season and still finishing top four - and now into Pot 2 for the next CL draw - while getting into the final of the biggest club match in the world. The club's global image is still rising and the financial rewards could be enormous now that there's a more attractive bargaining position for a stadium naming rights deal.

Spurs have also vastly broadened their appeal to talented players in the transfer market. We're not yet amongst the world's biggest clubs, but we've moved into the right neighbourhood. This season's achievements have bought all the assets the club has created - training centre, new stadium, club culture - into sharper focus. This is now a place to be, not a just a place to move up from.

It was a long, arduous grind from the off and not always easy on the eye. But it has been very good for hearts and minds that will take the club forward. In the very big scheme of things, this season stands, in my humble opinion, as the best one so far under Pochettino.

There will be no complacency after this season.

I was going to write an answer, then I read this post.
No need anymore.

16/17 for me. Not just for 86 points, but we played some brilliant football that season. Best I've seen from any Tottenham side. Just a joy to watch.

Really hard call.

Best football, 2016/17
Most enjoyable, 2016/17
Most consistent, 2016/17
Greatest individual matches, 2018/19
Made every player in Europe pay attention, 2018/19

And there's the rub. This is hopefully the season that we've changed the cycle, thanks to the new stadium and CL run. So that makes it the "best" for me.

Back