• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best season under Poch

Which was our best season under Poch?

• 2014/15

• 2015/16

• 2016/17

• 2017/18

• 2018/19

Results are only viewable after voting.

milo

Jack L. Jones
I'll add a poll in a few days but I thought I'd start the discussion first. Which season was our best under Poch?

2014/15

Premier League - 5th
Europa League - Last 32
FA Cup - Round 4
League Cup - Runners up

2015/16

Premier League - 3rd
Europa League - Last 16
FA Cup - 5th round
League Cup - 3rd round

2016/17

Premier League - 2nd
Champions League - Group stage
Europa League - Last 32
FA Cup - Semi finals
League Cup - 4th round

2017/18

Premier League - 3rd
Champions League - Last 16
FA Cup - Semi finals
League Cup - 4th round

2018/19

Premier League - 4th
Champions League - Runners up
FA Cup - 4th round
League Cup - Semi finals

This season was most impressive for Pochettino as he got us into CL despite adverse circumstances, what with Wembley being little more than a tourist trap as season ticket holders boycotted it in increasing numbers plus the lack of any fresh blood in the squad.

2016/17 was the most enjoyable football to watch though and clearly the peak for most of this current squad of players.

This season. 2 hands tied behind their back ..no signings, ground fiasco... and probably a left leg, with injuries and the likes of Ali and CE going missing way too often.

Last edited:
16/17
15/16
17/18
18/19
14/15

This season is arguably the most impressive given the constraints and things working against us but it's probably our worst in terms of on the field performance, discounting his first season where we needed to trim the fat.

Last season at WHL was far and away the peak Poch season, 2nd in the league, our highest goals scored and least conceded - unbeaten at home and our most consistent level of game by game performance.

Last edited:
2016/17. It’s the league that matters, and we were wonderful there. Huge stretch of home wins, inferior teams smashed with mad scores. That was the peak. It has been downhill ever since.

Yes, downhill into a CL Final, and qualification for the tournament again next season after another top 4 finish. Hard to see a way back.

2016/17 was the season where we were at our best. So disappointing not to have won something then. But this year was the most memorable by a distance. The city and Ajax games will live with me forever

Pretty much this for me.

This season was perhaps the most impressive in terms of what we achieved vs expectations and barriers placed in front of us. We had so many problems this season and, I'll say this again despite how ridiculous it sounds having finished 4th and CL finalists but this season was such a drag at points.

2016/2017. That was prime Poch team, I think that's the optimum for how he wants us to play. We were rock solid in defence, midfield was a fudging wall and our attack was fierce. I think we finished the season with most goals scored and least conceded? How did we not come away with a trophy, any trophy that season ffs.

We were top four because Woolwich and Man U shat the bed even more appallingly. Good cup runs are good cup runs, the gift of fickle football gods. The 2016/17 team was clearly better than the current version.

It probably was a better team, but there’s a reason for that. We’ve built a stadium in the meantime. We’ve also played almost all of our football away from home since that season. I’d maintain that a CL Final and another top 4 finish (what Utd and Arsenal did is irrelevant - we finished with more points than them, end of) is not a downhill trajectory.

It probably was a better team, but there’s a reason for that. We’ve built a stadium in the meantime. We’ve also played almost all of our football away from home since that season. I’d maintain that a CL Final and another top 4 finish (what Utd and Arsenal did is irrelevant - we finished with more points than them, end of) is not a downhill trajectory.

It was a better team because we had a very stable CM partnership, Kane was ever-present without dipping in form, and we hadn’t yet weakened ourselves at right back. You can’t blame everything on stadia.

I think it has to be this one. I can't change the answer based on one moment of madness at the beginning of a flat game between two tired rusty teams. There was a chance to win the biggest prize in club football and it was alive until the last few minutes (even if it didn't feel like it). 2016-17 was a more consistent season but the end result was the same: no trophy and CL qualification.

On thing I was wondering about is the memories of those games against City and Ajax. Will the second half comeback against evoke the same emotions now we know the result of the final?

2016/17. It’s the league that matters, and we were wonderful there. Huge stretch of home wins, inferior teams smashed with mad scores. That was the peak. It has been downhill ever since.
what he said.
This season has been an extraordinary roller coaster but we have lost 20 games. Give me the 2016/17 season for just not being beaten so often.

16/17 for me, from the Chelsea home game over Xmas until the end of the season was the most consistent and best football I have ever seen from us in my time, this is since the late 80s to put it into context.

16/17 for me. We played the best football in the league that year and were it not for that tinkle poor start we'd have won it. Everything just clicked in that side, Dele had an amazing breakthrough season and even though the Champions League run went to brick we still entertained.

This season is a standout for achieving in the face of adversity. No preseason for most of our squad, our engine room falling apart and our goal scorers all spending plenty of time in the treatment room or on international duty. Off the pitch we had the stadium drama, Poch being courted by UTD via Gary Neville on SSN and no signings for 18 months. It's amazing we got as far as we did, but the football has been average at best for most of the tail end of the season and only the uselessness of the chasing pack saw us taking 4th.

2016/17 without question. The league always has and always will be the most accurate barometer of measuring how good a team is. We finished with 86 points, more goals scored and fewer conceded than the actual champions and went unbeaten at home all season. It’s not even a debate for me. This season was fantastic in the CL but our league form was very average.

Back