• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

And what a fudging ride it has been.

Five years ago, he gave his first video interview at the club. And although his English wasn't great then, his message was pretty simple, and he was beaming with pride as he delivered it directly to us at the end.

'We will try to give everything, to make you proud of this football club.'

He kept his promise. And that might be his most monumental achievement of all - if he leaves now, although I will be fudging heartbroken beyond belief, he's left something behind that is worth more than gold.

He left behind a club that finally, hesitantly believes in itself.

I just pray he stays to finish his journey, because it isn't done yet. It really isn't- it can't be. There are epochs yet to write in the history of this club, and he has the power to write them, if he chooses.

And what a fudging ride it has been.

Five years ago, he gave his first video interview at the club. And although his English wasn't great then, his message was pretty simple, and he was beaming with pride as he delivered it directly to us at the end.

'We will try to give everything, to make you proud of this football club.'

He kept his promise. And that might be his most monumental achievement of all - if he leaves now, although I will be fudging heartbroken beyond belief, he's left something behind that is worth more than gold.

He left behind a club that finally, hesitantly believes in itself.

I just pray he stays to finish his journey, because it isn't done yet. It really isn't- it can't be. There are epochs yet to write in the history of this club, and he has the power to write them, if he chooses.
He has the potential - as a coach, a leader of men and a reader of auras (as well as a keeper of lemons) - to build a Fergie-like dynasty at our club.

He has the potential - as a coach, a leader of men and a reader of auras (as well as a keeper of lemons) - to build a Fergie-like dynasty at our club.

This, him +Levy

- Regardless of result in the final, is the club can keep even a smaller percentage of the upward trajectory we have had in the last 15 or so years (and obviously the 5 of Poch's tenure), we will be well on the way to that dynasty .

Hoddle on Poch.

Excerpt from: Glenn Hoddle: I had a headrush. My kids said, ‘What are you doing, dad?’

He admires the way that Mauricio Pochettino, the manager, has juggled his resources, reaching the final without spending in the past two transfer windows. Could a Spurs win be a victory for all clubs wanting to prosper without overspending? “That is a fair comment,” Hoddle says. “Mauricio takes great pride in balancing the two situations, buying and having homegrowns through the academy. That’s a great example to a lot of other clubs. It’s not just about money. You can throw a lot of money at things but it doesn’t mean you’re going to be successful.”

Pochettino has made some cryptic comments about his future, which could be construed as designed simply to ease more funds for transfers out of the chairman, Daniel Levy. “I do believe the manager will stay,” Hoddle says. “His quotes have been curious but boxing clever.

“Some people like working with the best players, building around them. Mauricio doesn’t. He wants players who put the team first — they’re good players, don’t get me wrong — and he wants to improve every single player. He still has to win something, yes. He has no silverware as a manager and that drives him on. The players respect him, like him, love him — like Liverpool players love Jürgen Klopp. It was lovely to see Mauricio drop to his knees and show that emotion at Ajax.

“Even if he gets £200 million to spend, I don’t expect him to try and get Neymar. I expect him to get really good players and the first thing they want is the team ethos. Look at the Tottenham team, they’re all like that, team first. It all comes from Harry Kane’s example: he will run for the team, run for the manager, run defensively and attacking. Every other player does the same.”

Pretty much this.
Thank you Mauricio

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...o-pochettino-making-spurs-fans-dream-reality/

I have to keep pinching myself. I still can't really believe Tottenham are in a Champions League final. I'm still not entirely used to Spurs being in the Champions League at all.

On the road that now leads to Madrid there have been many helping hands. Daniel Levy has run the club well. Harry Kane's emergence coincided nicely with Mauricio Pochettino's arrival. But it is Pochettino himself to whom we owe the greatest thanks.

Monday marked five years to the day since Pochettino was appointed manager of Tottenham, moving from Southampton to relatively little fanfare. He was Spurs' seventh full-time manager in 10 years. The supporters needed convincing that this appointment would be any different from the last.

His impact was immediate, and stark. There was a playing style that brought visible differences to the team unlike his predecessor, Tim Sherwood, and fewer mistakes than the suicidal high line of Andre Villas-Boas. And in Kane there was a local hero to get behind, too.

The success since has snowballed to such an extent that some fans have forgotten what Spurs had been for the majority of the Premier League era. Let me be clear, most of us have not.

We still remember the flirtations with relegation. We still remember the Stephen Carr own goal that ended our foray back into Europe in 1999. We remember Sergei Rebrov, Gregor Rasiak and Darren Bent. We remember Lasagne-gate. We remember Juande Ramos banning ketchup. And Michael Dawson celebrating that Saudi Sportswashing Machine goal that wasn't. And finishing fourth before being denied a route into the Champions League by Chelsea winning the thing. The list goes on.

That is all in the past now, though, thanks to Pochettino.

Poch has changed the way the club thinks. No longer are we consumed by the fear of failure. No longer are Arsenal the main concern. Pochettino's insistence on focusing on bigger things has finally got through.

Which brings us onto this season. There were horrible mistakes, and plenty of them. There were real low points, and the second half of the campaign saw the kind of capitulation that might even be a concern for next term.

But any negatives can be forgotten for now. A Champion League final awaits and, for that, we will forever be grateful to Pochettino.

Even after the marked improvement of the last few years, including a second-placed finish and some truly memorable European nights, I still truly believed I would never see Tottenham in such a major final as this. That was still the case as recently as a month ago. There were points late on against each of PSV, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Emirates Marketing Project and (very late on) in the semi-final against Ajax - that's five of our six Champions League opponents this season - when I was fully convinced of it. But Pochettino has given us hope.

After taking only one point from the first three group stage matches, crucial nervy victories over PSV Eindhoven and Inter Milan were followed by an epic draw at the Nou Camp, each time Spurs looking down and out before vital late goals. After the mauling of Borussia Dortmund, there was the VAR-induced bedlam at the Etihad and Lucas Moura's sensational second-half hat-trick in Amsterdam. This has been a season like no other. And now onto the final.

The nerves are all-consuming. Last week I woke up in a sweat at three in the morning, having dreamed I was an old man in poor health waiting for this final, fretting whether I'd be around to see the game because of the dastardly three-week wait. I awoke distressed, but also immediately clear what my subconscious was trying to tell me: I might not get this opportunity again. This could be a once in a lifetime match. Enjoy it.

Obviously we want to win it. Of course there is hope that this dream can go even further and become the greatest triumph in the club's history. The fact there is any hope at all is an indication of the incredible effect Pochettino has had.

But whatever happens, this journey, the dramatic late wins, the insanity at the Etihad, Lucas Moura's hat-trick in Amsterdam, all of it, will live with me forever.

I'm so grateful for those memories, and will cherish the spectacle of seeing my team in a Champions League final. Being there at all is down to our wonderful manager so, Mauricio Pochettino, thank you.

Back