• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

~ OMT ~ TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FC v Liverpool FC ~ THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL ~ 2019 ~

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
[QUOTE="elyid, post: 1199744, although, to be fair, Liverpool announced theirs at the start of next season[/QUOTE]

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Spurs have just a 29% chance of lifting the cup, according to respected stats site, fivethirtyeight.com.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/tottenham-somehow-topped-liverpools-dramatics/

On the plus side, the site reckons the club should never have made it this far anyway, so hope spring eternal.

In the end, the result was a fair one: The Londoners took more total shots, directed more shots on goal, completed more passes in the attacking third, completed more passes in the opposing penalty area and created more big chances than their counterparts from Amsterdam. Over the course of both legs, Tottenham outperformed Ajax in expected goals 4.5 to 2.9, according to ESPN’s Stats & Information Group. The second half of the second leg will be responsible for much of that discrepancy, but it doesn’t matter when the goals come, just that they come at all.

We wondered in March if an English team could win the Champions League title. We know now that one will — it’s just a matter of which one. Liverpool has the edge — 71 percent to 29 percent — but after this week, it’s clear that the odds don’t mean much to these two teams.

I wonder what odds they gave us to make the final when we had 1 point after 3 games in the group stage

I wonder what odds they gave us to make the final when we had 1 point after 3 games in the group stage

It's not that long odds never come in, they are just less likely. Unlikely things happen all of the time.

What we should be optimistic about is that our first teams are pretty evenly matched, the issue is that our first team has barely played this season and that will be reflected in their odds.

If memory serves, about a 2.5% chance of getting out of the group.

If you are interested in stats and their (mis)application, Nate Silver, the geezer behind the site, has written a decent book on the subject. He explains why 101% of all pundits are tossers :)

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/nov/09/signal-and-noise-nate-silver-review

Silver argues for a sharper recognition of "the difference between what we know and what we think we know" and recommends a strategy for closing the gap.

As Milo says, "It's not that long odds never come in, they are just less likely. Unlikely things happen all of the time." That's pretty much what Nate Silver says in his book.

So, a 28% chance, statistically, of Spurs winning looks bad but on the other hand that implies odds of almost 3/1; Betfair is offering just 7/4.

Ventured up to the club shop yesterday to get some bits, wish we didn’t do half and half brick.

I don’t want a scarf with Liverpool on it - nor a mug.

They would have had all my money if it was just Spurs
I saw those online in the Spurs shop, WTAF?!?! If anyone buys one they are a disgrace and they clearly don’t “get” football.

Having said that I bet Jurgens got one so no offensive intended!!

I saw those online in the Spurs shop, WTAF?!?! If anyone buys one they are a disgrace and they clearly don’t “get” football.

Having said that I bet Jurgens got one so no offensive intended!!

Bet no one on here would have a problem with buying a half and half arsenal or Chelsea scarf though. You know, our real rivals

Bet no one on here would have a problem with buying a half and half arsenal or Chelsea scarf though. You know, our real rivals

Jesus. You're like a broken record sometimes.

I know that you don't get it. People have tried to explain their reasons. Maybe it is time to give it a rest.

Back