• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Bale. Could we? Would we? Should we?

I feel his injury record is over stated and of course all discussion regarding Bale relies on a hypothetical scenario where the money side is agreeable to both sides.

A 30 year old attacking player who has won the biggest prizes in football in recent years with big performances in key games along the way being available to a club in our position - there isn't even a question as to whether you'd want a player like that in your team afaic
At what point does the money side become agreeable to our side though? Or put in another way, if cheap enough just about everyone would agree to make it happen. But what is the breaking point, and how does that match up with what Real Madrid will demand? What other deals could we make with that money?

I hope we are interested, but I would be somewhat doubtful if we threw caution to the wind to get him.

But this becomes interesting IF there are no other takers, because you can bet your bottom dollar Levy will hammer all this home to Real good and proper.

I can almost hear the conversation now.... 'Honestly Guv, we're doing you a favour taking this clapped out liability off your hands...!'

They'll be paying us to take him by the time Danny Boy gets done :D

I never underestimate the power of Levy, so I would never write off such a thing.

Is that league games or all Real Madrid games (as I would imagine they play more games overall each season than just about any club?).

I think it was all games, I looked at it back around the Jan window and was working from memory yesterday.

I went back into his time with us as well, where he admittedly played more than I thought, but there were two key things.
1) Over all average appearance rate was 52/53%
2) It was declining

I would be happy if we took him on loan for 1 year without paying any fee to Real Madrid with us contributing up to 40% of his wages. We could then concentrate all our efforts on a central midfielder and a new right back. The problem is I can't see Madrid going for that deal.

In saying that having paid a bit of attention to Sessegnon's youtube highlights from last season, I thought there were some real similarities there to a young Gareth Bale. Eye catching acceleration, a very good left foot that the player massively prefers to use but also being very capable with the other foot as well, good dribbling and plays with his head up. I had previously thought that Sessegnon would be converted to a left back, but having watched his highlights reel I think, like Bale, he may end up far too effective in attack to be wasted in a deeper position. Like Bale I think he may end up starting on the left but ending up playing from the right or even through the centre.

It would be impossible to refuse that deal, though I do wonder how well he would work in our side, back in the premiership etc. Its a gamble, so a loan works for me. Every chance he arrives, gets broken and we barely see him....

I think you are right on Sessegnon. He can play LB, could be converted there, but that would really be a waste of his talents. He is a very effective attacking player, and will become better over time. Versatile, two footed enough, smart, good movement, VERY cool head - I like him a lot and think he could grow as a player in a way similar to Bale.

I dont really buy Scara physique critique either, while I dont think he will be built like Bale (and hopefully not succumb to as many injuries) he is a rather robust lad, good size and strength and pace already, and he hasnt finished growing yet...

I hope we are not interested. Pochettino likes a small squad. Adding an injury prone personnel is not recommended.

I hope we are not interested. Pochettino likes a small squad. Adding an injury prone personnel is not recommended.

I think we need to look at losing injury prone players too. We have been really compromised this season and the like of Lamela never being available has really compounded the issue.

Of course, injuries are expected and cannot be fully avoided, but when you know a player is prone to breaking down and not being available I think its time we moved them on.

Similarly Dembele should have gone sooner, and potentially Wanyama now.

If Pochettino wants to compete for all trophies then I think he needs to start liking a slightly bigger squad. Look at how we ran out of steam towards the end of this season. Our form for the last quarter of the league campaign was relegation form, not champions form.

If Pochettino wants to compete for all trophies then I think he needs to start liking a slightly bigger squad. Look at how we ran out of steam towards the end of this season. Our form for the last quarter of the league campaign was relegation form, not champions form.

We definitely need a bigger core of players, and more rotation.

We need to make room first though.

And its clear minimising injury is also key IMO. Including avoiding/losing injury prone players.

homegrown - we have loads of room for those (extra), and we could have done with another attacking player this year- I am not sure my opinion on signing him due to his injury record but squad size / room wouldn't be one of my concerns

I'm all for having Bale back but under 1 proviso... that it doesn't impact on our other transfers
For Grealish I would be happy to pay the same amount as whatever we can sell Lamela for. We can swap an injury prone player for one who isn't and also improve our ratio of home grown to overseas players. I think we missed the boat with signing Grealish early last summer though.

Last edited:
His calibre, age, injury record, expense?

I think many would be much more pragmatic, and less interested, were they not already attached to him.

I think the key question is, could we have a real chance of winning the league with this squad:

Lloris, Gazzaniga
Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth
Wan-Bissaka, Rose, Walker-Peters, Sessegnon
Ndombele, Winks, Dier, Gomes
Son, Dele, Eriksen, Lamela, Bale, Lucas
Kane

I think the key thing for a real title challenge is signing another immense attacking midfielder (on top of obviously filling the gaps in central midfield) but to make the real difference is one more beast AM.

Preferably one who can play up top when needed like Son and Lucas.

This player is very hard to find and I initially thought Martial but would man utd sell to us.

If Bale could be signed on the cheap and a deal is worked where we pay him 250k a week, then I think its a no brainer.

If he stays fit we could challenge city and pool all the way next season.

When he has been fit he has largely been excellent (not this year) - his problem was staying fit.

Saw something the other day to suggest he had been declining. Significantly less dribbles, less passes, shots, crosses...

I know he has been pretty reliable on goals, but that alone doesnt suggest excellence.

I also think 6 (or is it 5?) years away from the Premier league is a long time. He is a lot older now, and more accustomed to a different type of football, I think it might be naive to assume he would come back the same player that left.

Saw something the other day to suggest he had been declining. Significantly less dribbles, less passes, shots, crosses...

I know he has been pretty reliable on goals, but that alone doesnt suggest excellence.

I also think 6 (or is it 5?) years away from the Premier league is a long time. He is a lot older now, and more accustomed to a different type of football, I think it might be naive to assume he would come back the same player that left.
Discount this year as he (and they have been bad).

I don't watch a lot of Madrid but trust Sid Lowe (Guardian / Spanish football podcast) opinion and this was his and backed up by others I talk to, whenever he was fit he was very good and his goal scoring / assists were still very good. The other stats may have to do with the way RM started to play, if you look at Ronaldo's stats I would guess those things also decreased. I am not really a stat man as they can be misleading in isolation.

I have seen him play for Wales and he still looks quality in a crappy team, he is more of a playmaker there passing /dribbling, coming deep for the ball and taking responsibility.

If it came to September next year and he is lining up against us after being fit for the first month I know I would be very worried, I think I would want the other team to have that fear.

Back