• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rule changes in football

Think I might have said this elsewhere, but...

Treat the goal frame as a defensive “player”.

If a shot hits the post or bar and goes behind, the attacking team get a corner.

It rewards attacking play, will lead to more goals and is easy to officiate.

From Football London
In the 2019/20 season, a number of tweaks will come into force with regards to rules and how matches are officiated [in the PL] :

Handballs
The IFAB has clarified the situation in regards to handball decisions ahead of next season.
Goals will be disallowed if the ball accidentally strikes a player's hand in the build-up.
A free-kick will also be awarded outside of the penalty box if a player has accidentally created an advantage by handling the ball.

Drop balls
The IFAB has also had its say on drop balls and is aiming to get rid of 'manufactured' restarts.
"The current dropped ball procedure often leads to a ‘manufactured’ restart which is ‘exploited’ unfairly or an aggressive confrontation," the IFAB explained.
"Returning the ball to the team that last played it restores what was ‘lost’ when play was stopped, except in the penalty area where it is simpler to return the ball to the goalkeeper.
"To prevent that team gaining an unfair advantage, all players of both teams, except the player receiving the ball, must be at least 4m (4.5 yds) away."

Substitutions
Another rule which has been introduced for next season sees some major alterations to substitutions.
Now players will have to leave the pitch at the nearest point rather than walk slowly across the field late in games and waste time.

Free-kicks
Attacking teams will no longer be allowed to have a player in the defensive wall for a free-kick.
When there is a wall of at least three players, those on the attacking team are not allowed to stand within one metre of the wall.
"There is no legitimate tactical justification for attackers to be in the ‘wall’ and their presence is against the ‘spirit of the game’ and often damages the image of the game," an IFAB statement explained.

Penalty kicks
This has certainly been overdue with goalkeepers taking advantage on penalty situations for a while now.
But from next season they will have to have one foot on the line.
Not only must keepers be touching the line, they will not be allowed to touch the goalposts before the ball is kicked.

Red and yellow cards for managers
Referees will now be able to show them a yellow card or a red card in the same way they do with players on the pitch.

Generally sensible. An accidental handball helping a goal seems unfair, just as conceding a penalty with an accidental handball is unfair. Stopping the long slow walks after substitutions is a sensible move, as is banning players in the wall. Both should save time.

I'm not clear on what the dropped ball change is, though. And what is the bit about goalkeepers touching the posts about?

Generally sensible. An accidental handball helping a goal seems unfair, just as conceding a penalty with an accidental handball is unfair. Stopping the long slow walks after substitutions is a sensible move, as is banning players in the wall. Both should save time.

I'm not clear on what the dropped ball change is, though. And what is the bit about goalkeepers touching the posts about?

I was going to post the same question! That drop ball rule is not very clear. The goalkeeper touching the post part is strange too. Do they mean when they jump around and touch the crossbar before the penalty is taken. Whats the issue with that?

I was going to post the same question! That drop ball rule is not very clear. The goalkeeper touching the post part is strange too. Do they mean when they jump around and touch the crossbar before the penalty is taken. Whats the issue with that?
That, and going to the post to apperntly kick dirt of the boots. Then going to the opposite post to do the same. It's both wasting time, and an attempt to put off the penalty taker.
The rule makes sense. Its just a waste of time. Get on with it and take the penalty.

That, and going to the post to apperntly kick dirt of the boots. Then going to the opposite post to do the same. It's both wasting time, and an attempt to put off the penalty taker.
The rule makes sense. Its just a waste of time. Get on with it and take the penalty.

The whole point of penalties is that they are a psychological duel. Kicking the ball into the goal is easy. The mind games are the essence of them.

The whole point of penalties is that they are a psychological duel. Kicking the ball into the goal is easy. The mind games are the essence of them.
No, the point of a penalty kick, is one player is attempting to score, and one player should attempt to save the shot. No point in waffling about for ages. Just get it done.

I don't like the handball changes, why is an accidental glance off a players arm treated differently to one off of their arse? They should rename the game, anythingbutthehandball.

I don't like the changes to walls from FK's, I'd say there is a huge legitimate tactical justification to have an attacking player in the wall.

Also, look out for substituted players of leading teams to be stood exactly on the centre spot when their number comes up.

That makes sense.

I don't like the changes to walls from FK's, I'd say there is a huge legitimate tactical justification to have an attacking player in the wall.

I think the reasoning is that the jostling while setting up the wall wastes time. Anything that speeds things up is an improvement and should help the team taking the free kick, if anything. How often does having a player in the wall actually make a difference?

The sub thing could mean that a player walks off opposite the dug out and then has to walk the perimeter of the pitch wouldn’t this mean that this could incite the fans as they walk past them and be a potential distraction to the other players on their team as they don’t have a sub bib on. Could get in the linos way too?

If they want to clamp down on time wasting they should hook the refs watch or an independent timekeeper up to the scoreboard so everyone can see when they’ve stopped the clock or how much time should be added on.

If the handball rule is going to suck then at least let it suck for everyone consistently. Will players start aiming the ball for the hand when they are in the box with no direct route to goal?

Yes, many rules on time-wasting, handball and offsides are in some ways because referees are not doing their job. However, the problem is that referees interpret simply phrased rules differently. Those being stricter are going to upset managers and players more some of the time, while at other times the more liberal referees will be targets of more complaints. It can even be the same manager doing both in one game. The referees can't win. The rules keep getting added because of the inconsistency.

An alternative question is how many rules are being/have been put in place basically to compensate for players trying to cheat?

The referees can win, by being consistent. Have a single definition of a rule and stick to it. Job done.
I also wish they’d have a zero tolerance towards being mouthed off to or touched by players. As soon as it’s enforced at the highest level it will filter down to grassroots. It was horrible to see 22 chavs with their mates on the sideline abusing someone who had given up their time to endure a football match took place for the princely sum of £20. In the same way grown men copy footballers as children do, this is an easy cultural fix that has no downsides for me, at worst one game will have a lot of cards and then everyone will know from then on.

Last edited:
Back