• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Trippier

Letting De Ligt waltz unmarked through our entire defense was not the highlight of his career, but he still did some good things.

As much as I think Trippier has been poor this season and I think we need to sell him in the summer I would suggest that if anyone is to blame for the De Ligt debacle it is Poch. Trippier should not have been deployed at set pieces in a situation where he was the nearest defender to their best header of the ball, and it happened in both legs.

As much as I think Trippier has been poor this season and I think we need to sell him in the summer I would suggest that if anyone is to blame for the De Ligt debacle it is Poch. Trippier should not have been deployed at set pieces in a situation where he was the nearest defender to their best header of the ball, and it happened in both legs.

He was put there as a blocker not as a marker, Jan was going to be the man who took him over but if you look at the goal he was obstructed which allowed De Light to run on to the ball. It was a plan that did not work but blaming Trippier is ( as you say) wrong.

Absolutely. Assignments were all wrong, as is the concept of handing off a runner to another defender.

As we saw, it leaves you completely open to a pick play - and they never get called by refs

Absolutely. Assignments were all wrong, as is the concept of handing off a runner to another defender.

As we saw, it leaves you completely open to a pick play - and they never get called by refs
It's part zonal, part man marking. Tallest players doing zonal marking. Someone like Trippier man marking one of their best headers, with the job of getting in their way, not letting them get a free run up.

Whenever something other than old fashioned man marking fails people blame the style of defending. Very rarely will people blame the style of defending when it's old fashioned man marking. Even though many of the best managers in the world choose other ways of defending set plays.

We have the third lowest goals conceded from set pieces in the PL this season. Tied with City, one more than Liverpool, two more than Leicester (I imagine well within statistical variance). Whatever we're doing seems to be working rather well.

It's part zonal, part man marking. Tallest players doing zonal marking. Someone like Trippier man marking one of their best headers, with the job of getting in their way, not letting them get a free run up.

Whenever something other than old fashioned man marking fails people blame the style of defending. Very rarely will people blame the style of defending when it's old fashioned man marking. Even though many of the best managers in the world choose other ways of defending set plays.

We have the third lowest goals conceded from set pieces in the PL this season. Tied with City, one more than Liverpool, two more than Leicester (I imagine well within statistical variance). Whatever we're doing seems to be working rather well.
That's the first time I've seen us do what we did against De Ligt. I don't think the type of play was an issue (nor has it been this season), I'm more concerned that their most dangerous player was handed off with a huge gap between his first and second markers. That just opens the door to so many things stopping the second marker - intentional or not.

That's different if the first marker is tall/strong/good enough to continue marking if something fails, in which case Trippier was the wrong assignment.

He was put there as a blocker not as a marker, Jan was going to be the man who took him over but if you look at the goal he was obstructed which allowed De Light to run on to the ball. It was a plan that did not work but blaming Trippier is ( as you say) wrong.

That's the first time I've seen us do what we did against De Ligt. I don't think the type of play was an issue (nor has it been this season), I'm more concerned that their most dangerous player was handed off with a huge gap between his first and second markers. That just opens the door to so many things stopping the second marker - intentional or not.

That's different if the first marker is tall/strong/good enough to continue marking if something fails, in which case Trippier was the wrong assignment.

I posted this in the OMT but it's relevant to this discussion too. They agree with @parklane1 and @braineclipse and have a good explanation of what we were trying to do and where it went wrong. They also explain the weaknesses of man marking in these situations. They blame Verts for going down too easily and looking for the free kick.

This is an interesting listen

Shouldn’t be anywhere near the squad in first place
THIS. Becuase we have so may class RB’s to choose from. Aurier (don’t let his long term injury get in the way), KWP (don’t let his lack of game time get in the way), um... errr... that lad from the U-16s... Poch’s son... that blonde lady that Poch talked to about his lemons who talked about her sponge.

THIS. Becuase we have so may class RB’s to choose from. Aurier (don’t let his long term injury get in the way), KWP (don’t let his lack of game time get in the way), um... errr... that lad from the U-16s... Poch’s son... that blonde lady that Poch talked to about his lemons who talked about her sponge.

Which Parent of Serge is English?

Not remotely surprised but hopefully it motivates him for Saturday. I’m sure Poch will be telling him to go out and show Southgate what he’s missing on the biggest (club) stage of them all.

Interesting video here. Says he’s been injured for the past few months but now feels OK. Also knows he can play better.

His form has been terrible, but hopefully he can give his all on Saturday knowing he can then rest for a couple months.

Easy to forget he’s has nearly 2 years non-stop football.

Easy to forget he’s has nearly 2 years non-stop football.

Not just him.

Not that I advocate ANOTHER window without buying players, but I genuinely think were that to happen we would still be a completely different (and better) team next season just for the fact all our players would be properly rested and had a full pre-season.

The amount of football our lot have had the last couple of years is insane, and I think reflected in our decline the last 15 games of the season. Dead on their feet.

Back