• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

Lacazette on Atletico's radar
Atletico Madrid are interesting in signing Arsenal striker Alexandre Lacazette, according to reports.

Barcelona are also said to be interested in the front man.

Atletico have lost Antoine Griezmann and are looking for replacements, with Le10Sport claiming that Lacazette is one of the top targets.

• Real Madrid are reportedly planning a stunning £74m swoop for Arsenal's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to replace Gareth Bale.

I dont think its exaggerating to say without these two they would have been midtable at best this season, could be a huge loss to them despite the money it would bring in...

Lacazette on Atletico's radar
Atletico Madrid are interesting in signing Arsenal striker Alexandre Lacazette, according to reports.

Barcelona are also said to be interested in the front man.

Atletico have lost Antoine Griezmann and are looking for replacements, with Le10Sport claiming that Lacazette is one of the top targets.

• Real Madrid are reportedly planning a stunning £74m swoop for Arsenal's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to replace Gareth Bale.

I dont think its exaggerating to say without these two they would have been midtable at best this season, could be a huge loss to them despite the money it would bring in...
Fingers crossed that Chavski win the Europa final to keep Goons out of CL for a third season on the trot, as that would severely limit their ability to sign anyone of Ramsey’s calibre let alone also replace their strike force should they need to; Aubameyang turns 30 next month so might be tempted to jump ship before his lightning pace starts to decline.

I didnt realise he was that old, could actually play a part in their thinking.

Them not getting CL is essential.

That being the case I think they might well need to sell someone like Aubameyang or Lacazette to fund the rebuild they so obviously need. Especially as it looks like Ozil is going nowhere.

And even then, they wont be buying CL quality players if they arent in the CL, itll be a tough window for them.

Arsenal's managing director Vinai Venkatesham has confirmed the club will look to sell any player entering the final two years of his contract should he not wish to renew.

That will have implications for the likes of Pierre Emerick Aubameyang and Mesut Ozil, who both see their deals expire in 2021.

“When we are selling players we need to maximise the funds we get to reinvest in the team,” Venkatesham told the club’s website. “We need to be really disciplined when we are dealing with senior players who are not towards the end of their careers.

“So that means we have to start making the difficult decisions when they have two years left on the contracts. We’re either going to renew those contracts or we’re going to be selling them.

“We’re going to have to be brave in those decisions because we can’t be in a situation where we’re allowing players to walk out of the door for free unless they are coming towards the end of their careers.”

‘ARSENAL HAVE TRANSFER MARKET AMMUNITION’

Arsenal have enough "ammunition" to convince top transfer targets to join them this summer, according to head of football Raul Sanllehi.

Unai Emery's squad are preparing for next week's Europa League final against Chelsea in Baku where victory will secure Champions League football.

Aaron Ramsey has already joined up with Juventus while Danny Welbeck and veteran goalkeeper Petr Cech are both departing in the close season but Sanllehi is optimistic about finding quality replacements.

"What I can tell you is that we have identified very clearly and unanimously with our head coach and technical people, we know what we want to prioritise and we're very clear on what our priorities are," he told Arsenal Media. We're already in the market and we're already talking with the people that can help us to cover those positions and I feel quite strong.

"It's going well and the image that Arsenal has in the football world is very strong. We need to go where we belong and that's the Champions League. Many players really want us to be there also when we're talking with them, but I feel quite strong on the inputs that I'm getting so far. I do believe that we have a very good plan to cover those positions to be much stronger next year, to deliver the success that we're all hoping for.

"I don't feel in disadvantage with anybody. The Premier League is exciting for any player in the world. London, Arsenal, the history, the dimension of the club, the stadium, the facilities at Colney, the fan base, the followers around the world and the exposure. Really, I feel like I have a lot of ammunition when I talk with players to engage them in our project."

Let go by Arsenal, scouted by Giorgio Chiellini's brother - and now celebrating Juventus' Serie A title with a Cristiano Ronaldo selfie. A lot has changed in a year for Stephy Mavididi.

When Aaron Ramsey joins the Italian giants this summer, he will not be the only former Gunner in their ranks.

The Welshman will join 20-year-old striker Mavididi, who last month became the first Englishman since David Platt in 1992 to play for the Old Lady.

It's an incredible rise for the Derby-born player, who never made a senior Arsenal appearance and was playing on loan at League One Charlton last season.

Mavididi tells BBC Sport about his decision to play abroad, training with Juventus' star-studded squad, and also how he dealt with the death of his father just days after Juventus sealed a record eighth consecutive league title.

'How could I turn down Juventus?'
upload_2019-5-23_19-34-22.gif
Mavididi training with former Arsenal team-mate Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
"It was a week filled of mixed emotions," says Mavididi, when discussing a monumental seven days last August.

The England Under-20 international turned professional with Arsenal in 2015, but failed to progress beyond the Gunners' youth and reserve teams and had two loan spells at Charlton and one at Preston North End.

"Last summer I came back to Arsenal for pre-season and was told it would be difficult for me to play in the first team," he says.

"My time at Arsenal was done. I had been there for eight years, but then Juventus came calling and I was on cloud nine again - it was an amazing feeling.

"I was speaking to the scout who told me he had been watching me for a while, telling me games I played in three years ago - I couldn't even remember them, but he liked what he saw."

By going abroad, Mavididi was following a now well trodden path for young English talent, with former Arsenal team-mates Reiss Nelson (on loan at Hoffenheim) and Chuba Akpom (PAOK), and Jadon Sancho, who left Emirates Marketing Project for Dortmund, all making a name for themselves on the continent.

Mavididi added: "When Juventus came calling, how could I turn it down? I didn't think twice about it. I liked the project. I thought I can only improve, it is now down to me to kick on, train with these players and learn as much as I can. It was a massive opportunity and I am happy I have taken it."

It had been Juventus captain Chiellini's brother Claudio, the club's under-23 team co-ordinator, who bought Mavididi to the club, initially as a reserve player.

But he was soon training with the first team.

"I remember that first training session like it was yesterday," says Mavididi. "The first time I saw Ronaldo."

'Be quick or Chiellini and Bonucci will smash straight through you'
Mavididi training with Bonucci
Mavididi says he has learned the biggest lessons from playing against legendary Italy and Juventus defenders Chiellini and Leonardo Bonucci.

"You have a split second to execute what you want to do, if not then Chiellini and Bonucci will come smashing straight through you," he says.

"You have not got any time. I have learned to think quickly and do things quicker."

Beyond the formidable defence, there are the Juventus playmakers and attackers like Paulo Dybala and Miralem Pjanic.

"With their quality, if you make a run you are bound to get the ball," he adds.

And then there is five-time Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldo, who joined the club from Real Madrid a month before Mavididi for £99.2m.

"The way he goes about his business was incredible for me to watch," Mavididi says. "How he applies himself every day in the gym and on the pitch. How he looks after his body, his diet - mainly off-the-pitch stuff. Everyone knows what he can do on the pitch, but off the pitch is what keeps him going."

And Ronaldo is one of the players with whom Mavididi has struck up a friendship.

"It is a really close-knit group, everyone is cool and there is good vibes, good banter," he says.

"I get on with most of them, Uncle Blaise [Matuidi] and obviously Ronaldo. He tries to give English banter but it is not that good - he is a good guy, very down to earth.

"Moise Kean is a good friend of mine and I get on with [Emre] Can and [former Arsenal team-mate] Wojciech Szczesny.

"The club make you feel really involved - it is a credit to everyone in the dressing room."

'From highest of highs to lowest of lows'
Mavididi with Ronaldo after Juventus' Serie A triumph
Mavididi scored six goals in 32 games for the Juve U23 team in Serie C, Italy's third tier.

He was called up by then manager Massimiliano Allegri to the first team bench twice before finally making his debut in a 2-1 defeat by SPAL on 13 April, when he appeared as a second-half substitute.

"I remember before the match, I was the last one out of the changing room and Allegri said 'are you ready?' and I said 'of course I am ready'," he continues.

"I was itching to come on. Then in the 69th minute I entered the pitch and made by debut. It was a day I will never forget.

"For Allegri to put me on gave me a big confidence boost and showed that he had faith in me."

Juventus' loss that day meant they had to wait to confirm another title, but that came the following week when they beat Fiorentina. Mavididi was an unused substitute that day - but he took full part in the changing room celebrations.

"It was a weekend I will never forget and something I will treasure," he says. "Everyone was happy, celebrating. I even pranked Ronaldo.

"But that weekend was a one of mixed emotions. Afterwards I found out my dad had passed away. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows.

"I think my father watched my debut. It is important. That was one of his nice last memories of me.

"The club were great with me, they said to take as long as I needed. I went to London for two weeks with my family and missed two games, but we gave dad a good send off and that is the most important thing."

Mavididi did not receive a title winner's medal because he had not played enough games, but in his first season in Italy he was able to achieve his first target.

He added: "When I joined I wanted to make my debut this year and I have reached that target. So now I want more."

Mavididi and the Juventus squad celebrating the title in the changing room

Jury’s out on Emery for me. Does he really think that basil fawlty impression on the side line does anything other than make him look a fool. The players simply aren’t going to be looking at him when he’s doing all that, it’s purely for the camera.

Last edited:
Back