• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax - the second leg

The official instagram showed a great angle. And you see the Ajax player marking Dele slip to give him room for that delicious pass. And then you see their knackered left back get close, but not close enough, to Moura. Oh, and Fernando’s flick! Like a fine wine, it improves with age.

Isn't it actually the defender who accidentally flicks it to Dele?

Isn't it actually the defender who accidentally flicks it to Dele?
Yes, I believe it is. De Ligt was actually blamed by the Dutch media for making mistakes there, first flicking it on to Dele and then being a split-second too late (because of slight hesitation) to block Moura's shot.

The three goals got me thinking (more an excuse to watch some goals on Youtube) and I was trying to fit some famous commentary to the goals. Which seems simple enough for two of them.

Moura…. AND STILL LUCAS MOURA! What a fantastic run. HE’S SCORED! Amazing goal for Lucas Moura!

[the video of the Ajax fans counting down] They think it's all over! It is now, it's a hattrick!

Although I think the commentary on that third goal will become memorable in its own right.

P.S. This video is totally irrelevant to this thread.

Did anyone see this piece in the Grauniad?

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...enham-ajax-decided-martin-jol-frenkie-de-jong

Martin Jol’s tactics briefing: where Tottenham v Ajax could be decided

I don’t know who this Martin Jol is* but he seems to know his stuff.

He wrote this analysis before the first leg.

Here are some salient points.

“The Ajax way with Cruyff is to play 4-3-3, with one No 6 and two No 8s, but the current team is slightly different because De Jong is better if he can drop in and then start playing. So they’ve decided to play with two No 6s – Lasse Schöne and De Jong – and one No 10, who is Donny van de Beek. Watch him. He was a 13-year-old kid in the youth system when I was the Ajax manager. So the system is 4-2-3-1, although Van de Beek is playing high up. He’s almost like a nine-and-a-half.”

“If I was Spurs, I would sign Ziyech. He is not the strongest but he is developing into a very good player. There is one thing. Look at Tadic. He was an average player in the Premier League but in the Netherlands, he is one of the best in the league. In the Netherlands, it’s not as difficult as people think.”

“Ajax play first press all the time. They play high up. But remember what José Mourinho did with Manchester United in the 2017 Europa League final against Ajax? He did not build up. As soon as you build up against Ajax, they will get the ball high up because their first press is amazing. But if Spurs can avoid the first press, their next pass can be deadly.”

"Christian Eriksen could get Spurs players into that area but who? They need runners but they don’t have runners for the first leg, with Son Heung-min suspended and Harry Kane injured. Maybe Lucas Moura can come into the space but not Fernando Llorente. He is too immobile."

* that was a joke, BTW

Did anyone see this piece in the Grauniad?

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...enham-ajax-decided-martin-jol-frenkie-de-jong

Martin Jol’s tactics briefing: where Tottenham v Ajax could be decided

I don’t know who this Martin Jol is* but he seems to know his stuff.

He wrote this analysis before the first leg.

Here are some salient points.

“The Ajax way with Cruyff is to play 4-3-3, with one No 6 and two No 8s, but the current team is slightly different because De Jong is better if he can drop in and then start playing. So they’ve decided to play with two No 6s – Lasse Schöne and De Jong – and one No 10, who is Donny van de Beek. Watch him. He was a 13-year-old kid in the youth system when I was the Ajax manager. So the system is 4-2-3-1, although Van de Beek is playing high up. He’s almost like a nine-and-a-half.”

“If I was Spurs, I would sign Ziyech. He is not the strongest but he is developing into a very good player. There is one thing. Look at Tadic. He was an average player in the Premier League but in the Netherlands, he is one of the best in the league. In the Netherlands, it’s not as difficult as people think.”

“Ajax play first press all the time. They play high up. But remember what José Mourinho did with Manchester United in the 2017 Europa League final against Ajax? He did not build up. As soon as you build up against Ajax, they will get the ball high up because their first press is amazing. But if Spurs can avoid the first press, their next pass can be deadly.”

"Christian Eriksen could get Spurs players into that area but who? They need runners but they don’t have runners for the first leg, with Son Heung-min suspended and Harry Kane injured. Maybe Lucas Moura can come into the space but not Fernando Llorente. He is too immobile."

* that was a joke, BTW
"Maybe Lucas Moura can come into the space but not Fernando Llorente. He is too immobile."

Whoops!! Immobile for sure but just the ticket when deploying Moaninho's bypass strategy.

I still have one question: where the fvck did the extra 2 minutes come from after we scored?? The goal was right at the end of stoppage time, so it's not like you needed to add time for celebrations. Wtf?? At worst let them kick off and the first time the ball goes out of play, or we intercept it, blow the fvcking whistle.

I still have one question: where the fvck did the extra 2 minutes come from after we scored?? The goal was right at the end of stoppage time, so it's not like you needed to add time for celebrations. Wtf?? At worst let them kick off and the first time the ball goes out of play, or we intercept it, blow the fvcking whistle.

Cannot blame the ref. I think it was due to the time wasting tactics by the Ajax goalie just before we scored and our goal celebrations ! At the time, I was very confused why we were celebrating like the game has finished ! Even Pochettino, his assistants and the bench were running onto the field ! Wonder if we realized the game was still not finished or not.

Cannot blame the ref. I think it was due to the time wasting tactics by the Ajax goalie just before we scored and our goal celebrations ! At the time, I was very confused why we were celebrating like the game has finished ! Even Pochettino, his assistants and the bench were running onto the field ! Wonder if we realized the game was still not finished or not.

Emotion

Im just glad we didn't score the Vertonghen chance a few minutes before - imagine the squeeky bum time we'd have gone through then

Back