• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

~ OMT ~ TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FC v Liverpool FC ~ THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL ~ 2019 ~

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think any of them expect to get tickets from the sponsors this year. Its more about raising the issue, and perhaps be influencing this madness to change. Its ridiculous that corporate sponsors get more tickets than the clubs!

I’m not so sure it is ridiculous, they are UEFA’s primary customers.

If the sponsorship goes away it would have a massive impact on football across Europe, the continent wouldn’t necessarily be the centre of the football world.

Obviously opinions are split on whether that would be a good or a bad thing.

I’m not so sure it is ridiculous, they are UEFA’s primary customers.

If the sponsorship goes away it would have a massive impact on football across Europe, the continent wouldn’t necessarily be the centre of the football world.

Obviously opinions are split on whether that would be a good or a bad thing.
Getting tickets to an event is not the main reason for a company to become a sponsor! No harm in them getting a few tickets, but 20 000, when each team, who is the main fudging reason for the event, get 16k each. Seriously, that's just taking the tinkle! Without the fans, the game is dead!

Getting tickets to an event is not the main reason for a company to become a sponsor! No harm in them getting a few tickets, but 20 000, when each team, who is the main fudging reason for the event, get 16k each. Seriously, that's just taking the tinkle! Without the fans, the game is dead!

If by fans you mean the mugs who pay to go and watch, they can always be replaced, its the one buying their subscriptions to tv channel that are important. At the moment Levy has got it spot on with the crowd at the new stadium by providing easier access to food and drinks, this will massively increased the spend in the stadium. Since I've been going with my grandchildren we always got to the ground before it opened so that they might get a seat behind the stand and have some refreshments, it was usually pretty empty, now its heaving virtually 20 minutes after opening.

This is what I was thinking. A sponsor should be looking at the value of the association with the club and the competition for their commercial operations. Freebies for senior executives and "friends" should be lower down the priority list.

That said, one can speculate why UEFA would be complicit.

it's a reason, and there are a lot of sponsors

it's probably not a case of sponsors asking for tickets either, UEFA will package everything up and these deals are probably signed years in advance, maybe even before the stadium is confirmed and capacities are factored in

I don't think any of them expect to get tickets from the sponsors this year. Its more about raising the issue, and perhaps be influencing this madness to change. Its ridiculous that corporate sponsors get more tickets than the clubs!

I agree, it's all about raising awareness of the issue. Challenging UEFA alone will not change anything, so targetting sponsors through media such as twitter helps keep the issue visible to the many. Nothing unfair has ever been changed by people saying "what's the point, it will never change".

However I'm not sure sponsors are the main problem.
As per the UEFA website :
The first 4,000 tickets have already been sold to fans worldwide via UEFA.com. The two clubs through to the final receive 17,000 each. The remaining tickets are allocated to the local organising committee, UEFA and national associations, commercial partners and broadcasters. Corporate hospitality packages are also available here.

Take out sponsors ("commercial partners") and there's still a significant allocation going to other organisations, plus the 4,000 in the "fan" ballot. This is where the problem lies. Long before the finalists were decided, Final tickets were available on Stubhub and no doubt similar sites. Where have they come from? Probably not sponsors.
I'm sure there's a way to increase the allocation to finalist clubs without impacting the sponsors. Get rid of the 4,000 random fan ballot for starters.
And tightly control any tickets going to country FAs, if indeed they have to have any in the first place.
It's ludicrous that the finalist club allocation is so low.

I agree, it's all about raising awareness of the issue. Challenging UEFA alone will not change anything, so targetting sponsors through media such as twitter helps keep the issue visible to the many. Nothing unfair has ever been changed by people saying "what's the point, it will never change".

However I'm not sure sponsors are the main problem.
As per the UEFA website :
The first 4,000 tickets have already been sold to fans worldwide via UEFA.com. The two clubs through to the final receive 17,000 each. The remaining tickets are allocated to the local organising committee, UEFA and national associations, commercial partners and broadcasters. Corporate hospitality packages are also available here.

Take out sponsors ("commercial partners") and there's still a significant allocation going to other organisations, plus the 4,000 in the "fan" ballot. This is where the problem lies. Long before the finalists were decided, Final tickets were available on Stubhub and no doubt similar sites. Where have they come from? Probably not sponsors.
I'm sure there's a way to increase the allocation to finalist clubs without impacting the sponsors. Get rid of the 4,000 random fan ballot for starters.
And tightly control any tickets going to country FAs, if indeed they have to have any in the first place.
It's ludicrous that the finalist club allocation is so low.
The single biggest issue is choosing city’s that simply don’t have the infrastructure for the scale of a one off massive game

In Europe I’d argue that there is maybe two cities that on reality can deal with it, London and Paris

The single biggest issue is choosing city’s that simply don’t have the infrastructure for the scale of a one off massive game

In Europe I’d argue that there is maybe two cities that on reality can deal with it, London and Paris

I don't disagree with your point about the infrastructure. But even if the final were held in London, do you think the (proportionate) allocation to the finalists would be significantly different?

And another thing...

If you are a host city, you want the game for a variety of reasons, all ultimately financial, but you probably also want to limit the amount of actual “football fans” drinking out of cans and tinkling in the streets. The number needs to be manageable.

I can fully believe that Manuela Carmena wasn’t the only person in Madrid cheering on Barca in the semi.

It is not that I'm superstitious you understand, but am I the only one thinking that we should wear the green kit for the final? Unexpected and unbelievable wins at Emirates Marketing Project and Ajax testify to its winning effect (okay I am superstitious!).

It is not that I'm superstitious you understand, but am I the only one thinking that we should wear the green kit for the final? Unexpected and unbelievable wins at Emirates Marketing Project and Ajax testify to its winning effect (okay I am superstitious!).
We lost at City away... but I agree with your principle

Back