• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I have never been entirely convinced that "net spend" is a great metric to judge a manager on. It is only an indicator of how well you balance your incoming transfer money against out going. So Jurgen Klopp looks like he hasa performed miracles on the net spend but actually he had one great sale and then spent over £200 million on replacements.

Gross Transfer spend and wages paid are better indicators of the squad quality at a manager's disposal. I am sure Poch compares favourably on those metrics too.

I have never been entirely convinced that "net spend" is a great metric to judge a manager on. It is only an indicator of how well you balance your incoming transfer money against out going. So Jurgen Klopp looks like he hasa performed miracles on the net spend but actually he had one great sale and then spent over £200 million on replacements.

Gross Transfer spend and wages paid are better indicators of the squad quality at a manager's disposal. I am sure Poch compares favourably on those metrics too.

Agree on net spend being flimflam, wages are generally a better gauge of gap.

However a much better view of net spend isn't in one year, take a look at this article https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...ews/truth-man-city-liverpool-net-16267269.amp (basically author looks at net spend of club from time of longest serving player still at club), in that model

- Pool net spend is over 300M
- Chelsea over 340M
- United almost 600M
- City 1.08B
- Scum 266M
- Everton 216M
- Spurs 125M

City, United, Chelsea, Pool show how rigged the game is

Wenger was similar. Selling off players to Man C at ridiculous prices, and the money made on Anelka mask a pretty patchy record.

I think net spend is interesting when put in context. For example, if memory serves, Liverpool are now looking at spending money out of their pocket - having already splurged all the Coutinho money (and then some) - so should we expect them to spend big or not?

Perhaps they will/wont, but the whole net spend thing will be part of what informs that argument.

So Liverpool, big sale, big spending - isnt the same as big gross spending (like City and Utd) - what should we expect?

However a much better view of net spend isn't in one year, take a look at this article https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...ews/truth-man-city-liverpool-net-16267269.amp (basically author looks at net spend of club from time of longest serving player still at club), in that model

- Chelsea over 340M
- United almost 600M
- City 1.08B
- Scum 266M
- Everton 216M
- Spurs 125M

The article cited claims that when Sheikh Mansour bought the club (in August 2008) 'City had far more ground to make up than the likes of Liverpool and Tottenham to become a leading contender in the Premier League.'

Not so. In season 2007/08 City finished 9th in the PL, two places ABOVE Tottenham in 11th.

For the 4 years of wage bill figures available since Pochettino became our manager, the cumulative total is...

ManU: £965m
Chelsea: £902m
Emirates Marketing Project: £896m
Pool: £846m
ARSEnal: £809m
Spurs: £476m

Once again emphasising what wonders Pochettino is working to keep us consistently in Top 4, when our rivals have each spent around half a £billion more than him on their squads just up to the start of last season!

upload_2019-5-16_10-18-40.jpeg

Liverpool paying more than City is bonkers.

I can see Salah being on big money, and VVD given they paid £75m for him (not that he's worth it IMO), but that sort of number suggests the whole squad is on silly wages

Liverpool paying more than City is bonkers.

I can see Ham Salad being on big money, and VVD given they paid £75m for him (not that he's worth it IMO), but that sort of number suggests the whole squad is on silly wages

Pool isn't that well modelled financially, people forget they had massive amounts of debt pre this current owner (last owner got fudged in forced takeover), their wages and spending are extremely high, they have just managed to keep above water due to a few once a decade sales (Suarez, Coutinho) bailing them out. That said United spends more on wages than both Pool and City ..

Pool isn't that well modelled financially, people forget they had massive amounts of debt pre this current owner (last owner got fudged in forced takeover), their wages and spending are extremely high, they have just managed to keep above water due to a few once a decade sales (Suarez, Coutinho) bailing them out. That said United spends more on wages than both Pool and City ..

Utd dont surprise me, I saw the Sanchez contract and think its hilarious. I think they can afford it though, even without CL.

Liverpool? That really blows my mind.

CL final 2 years running (€100m a time) will smooth things for them along with the player sales, but theres no way thats sustainable IMO.

Could be in a real mess real soon if they carry on like this.

Might mean they suddenly reign in their spending in a big way...

Judging by the number of babies/young children accompanying the players on their lap of honour on Sunday, I'd say you might be onto something.
It does seem that we've had something of a baby boom within the team over the past couple of years. No wonder they all look knackered.

I think Trippier has now got two little kids. I'm sure I remember an interview a couple of years back with him talking about the disruption of becoming a new dad.
Millions of people go through it, but I guess when you're performing at the elite level of a sport, even small factors like intermittent sleep can play a part. One benefit of the residential complex at the training ground is to mitigate that. But it won't totally remove it.

- Chelsea over 340M
- United almost 600M
- City 1.08B
- Scum 266M
- Everton 216M
- Spurs 125M

Net spend over one season can be pretty meaningless, though somewhat informative.

Net spend over a somewhat larger sample is definitely more informative. Though you can't judge a manger on spending before he took charge, so the numbers in the article you quote is less on the manager and more the club as a whole, including the current manager.

Isn't balancing incoming and outgoing transfers and getting a better team overall the job of a manager in the transfer market?

I think net spend, looking at several years, as a decent indicator. Though it shouldn't be looked at in isolation. And it should be remembered that individual big money moves will impact things a lot and thus the sample size will rarely be that great.

We know well how difficult the loss of a key player can be, making the team stronger as a result of that over a fairly short time span is a solid achievement imo. Net spend can tell part of that story, a story gross spend doesn't.

Wenger was similar. Selling off players to Man C at ridiculous prices, and the money made on Anelka mask a pretty patchy record.

I think net spend is interesting when put in context. For example, if memory serves, Liverpool are now looking at spending money out of their pocket - having already splurged all the Coutinho money (and then some) - so should we expect them to spend big or not?

Perhaps they will/wont, but the whole net spend thing will be part of what informs that argument.

So Liverpool, big sale, big spending - isnt the same as big gross spending (like City and Utd) - what should we expect?
It does depend who you sell to pocket that big fee. It looks (with a touch of hindsight) that Liverpool rinsed Barca for Coutinho, although an effective player for them, could nicely be covered with existing options. If we sold Kane..that's a big hole. Just talking about how a big sale can fast track an overhaul without net transfer debt building up.

Don't expect Liverpool to spend much...probably expecting more development from Fabinho and Keita ..and the have a few they could sell. ie Henderson, Sturridge to W.Ham:). They're probably at the stage that if the right pricey player becomes available they'd go for it. Plus still looking for youngsters.

For the 4 years of wage bill figures available since Pochettino became our manager, the cumulative total is...

ManU: £965m
Chelsea: £902m
Emirates Marketing Project: £896m
Pool: £846m
ARSEnal: £809m
Spurs: £476m

Once again emphasising what wonders Pochettino is working to keep us consistently in Top 4, when our rivals have each spent around half a £billion more than him on their squads just up to the start of last season!

View attachment 6654
Look at the flat line from 2013-18...

Chapeau Poch

It does depend who you sell to pocket that big fee. It looks (with a touch of hindsight) that Liverpool rinsed Barca for Coutinho, although an effective player for them, could nicely be covered with existing options. If we sold Kane..that's a big hole. Just talking about how a big sale can fast track an overhaul without net transfer debt building up.

Don't expect Liverpool to spend much...probably expecting more development from Fabinho and Keita ..and the have a few they could sell. ie Henderson, Sturridge to W.Ham:). They're probably at the stage that if the right pricey player becomes available they'd go for it. Plus still looking for youngsters.

They covered for Coutinho by going even more direct, I wouldnt say they replaced him really.

But yes, Barca got robbed on that one.

Net spend needs some of adjusting for transfer fee inflation.

Take United, they bought Rooney and Rio for big money and they were there for a decade, at the end of which they would have been far more expensive. It also locks down a couple of important spots so their spending can be targeted on few positions.

In the end its worth looking at different metrics. Both net spend and gross spend provide some information.

Back