• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

There should be tremendous amounts of money there for players in future as long we keep getting in the top 4.

Look at the incredible revenue levels we are now hitting and the profit that helped create. We will make close to £100m for this seasons CL run alone.

And the way the stadium repayments will be done means we dont have to just hand that over obviously.

In the world of finance can we do a deal that will allow say £25m to be repaid over something like 30 years for the stadium? Thats £750m in total and in the modern game we wouldnt even notice the difference every year.

Would also mean we can bank the inevitable monumental naming rights deal levy will eventually get - look at all the different sporting events already and rumours we could be anthony joshua’s future uk home. Levy will get his £450m over 20 years, just a matter of time. Already we are hearing the stadium is pulling in insane numbers in food and drink sales alone.

All adds up to me that immediately from this summer there should be significant funds available. Will obviously vary season after season depending in part on CL qualification and how far we go in the CL (and also on when the naming rights deal is done and whether we bank that or pay it to the banks) but I wouldnt be surprised if rumours of £150m plus for this summer, before player sales, to be close to the mark.

You can't say we skimped when our financial position was different then. You trust that Levy said no (if that was the reason) because he knew it was too expensive at that point. Plus please don't cherry pick the successes of the transfer market otherwise I'll have to post the disasters of the transfer market that we avoided for balance:D it's hindsight economics.

What Levy has to realise (maybe he does) is that Poch has shown he can work with very little. So give him quite a bit and the rewards could be huge BUT the most important bit is if it doesn't reach those heights, no worries as the base level is still top 4 finishes and cup semi finals..so he has effectively mitigated all risk by proving himself. Levy has to embrace that and realise no-one else is coming along anytime soon who is this talented.

Point is, as a club we generally get transfer decisions correct. Some of the more pricy ones we missed as others outspent us would have probably been worthwhile even at higher cost (but I take your point, we remember the good ones and not the flops). Hazard, Willian, Mane, Suarez even Frenkie de Jong last summer, maybe we could have pushed the boat out (or maybe not and cache rather than money took him to Barca). So Poch pressing Levy on our identity in the transfer market, whether we are to be a club that will go out and get the best with determination, is a positive.

Point is, as a club we generally get transfer decisions correct. Some of the more pricy ones we missed as others outspent us would have probably been worthwhile even at higher cost (but I take your point, we remember the good ones and not the flops). Hazard, Willian, Mane, Suarez even Frenkie de Jong last summer, maybe we could have pushed the boat out (or maybe not and cache rather than money took him to Barca). So Poch pressing Levy on our identity in the transfer market, whether we are to be a club that will go out and get the best with determination, is a positive.
Oh absolutely. When Poch explicitly say it's the end of one plan and the start of another and we have to operate in a different way, what can that mean?. It surely means akin to the other top 5 to a certain degree.

He always talks about (our current project) being a different reality to the others and I think he does yearn for recognition of that, plus a little bit of credit for succeeding despite of that.

I think he gets a bit tired of that scenario (not that he was ever against it), so being the young ambitious manager he is, he probably, for his own development wants to make sure we are all up for a step up.

Basically he doesn't want Levy to be an anchor. He knows we are so close...

Yes that was anchor not....:D

When designing and building the stadium, Levy’s mantra was - according to the chief architect - “can we do it better?”.

I believe and hope he’ll apply the same standards to plans for the on-field regeneration.

He is a very, very smart man. He knows better than anyone what we’ve got in Poch.

I have no doubt that he will apply those standards, but only when we do not put the progress we have made under him at risk. Lets be honest i can not believe that there are ANY Spurs supporters who do not want to see us keep on improving as a team, but we have to trust him and he knows what we can and can not do( lets be honest he has got far more things right so far).

Oh absolutely. When Poch explicitly say it's the end of one plan and the start of another and we have to operate in a different way, what can that mean?. It surely means akin to the other top 5 to a certain degree.

He always talks about (our current project) being a different reality to the others and I think he does yearn for recognition of that, plus a little bit of credit for succeeding despite of that.

I think he gets a bit tired of that scenario (not that he was ever against it), so being the young ambitious manager he is, he probably, for his own development wants to make sure we are all up for a step up.

Basically he doesn't want Levy to be an anchor. He knows we are so close...

Yes that was anchor not....:D

Its interesting, I wonder what he really means.

We are never going to go building a team of galacticos, and honestly I dont think he would like that anyway.

If I had to guess Id suggest he just wants to make one or two key buys a year of real quality to keep refreshing the team.

And have the ability to jettison anyone he feels he needs to.

This summer we need something of a rebuild, the core is there but the depth is not, but afterwards it can only really be incremental improvement to the team and squad.

We are never going to go building a team of galacticos, and honestly I dont think he would like that anyway.

If I had to guess Id suggest he just wants to make one or two key buys a year of real quality to keep refreshing the team.

This summer we need something of a rebuild, the core is there but the depth is not, but afterwards it can only really be incremental improvement to the team and squad.
The tricky bit is if Toby and Eriksen leave that is two core players gone and it certainly stacks up the work to do (granted, it gives us more money).

I agree about the approach, and would like to think we'd always be open to the £10-£30m championship or continental youngsters as well...ones that can serve us well but have the potential to more than re-pay us if THEY decide to move on.

Basically, I think he sees this as a real opportunity for him, for his own development, he's definitely a legacy type manager, he loves the essence of football so much. And when you feel like that you're checking in with the man (Levy) that will help make it happen that he's in the same lane as you.

He really wants Levy to be because in his heart he knows we have come so far and 'we are so close'.

It can frustrate a person (Poch) when they have led the way, earned everyone's trust, they can see the summit, they know how to get there. Its a no-brainer in his head.

That's exactly my guess as well. He likely just wants a refresh of the squad this summer (3-4 players, £100m net spend for example) and then 1-2 decent-ish players (say £50m net) spend every summer. £50m or so every summer should be comfortably affordable alongside the debt paydown, assuming performances continue even close to where they ahve been

That's exactly my guess as well. He likely just wants a refresh of the squad this summer (3-4 players, £100m net spend for example) and then 1-2 decent-ish players (say £50m net) spend every summer. £50m or so every summer should be comfortably affordable alongside the debt paydown, assuming performances continue even close to where they ahve been

Its the only thing that really makes sense to me (though I wouldnt really speculate on £££, who even knows!?).

A bit of an over haul and then specific investment.

I cant think of what else we might do.

I think there's a danger that Pochettino having achieved everything he has this season in spite of the self-imposed transfer embargo could end up being the opposite of a silver lining, and that Levy/Lewis will say to themselves, "He's done it before, he can do it again." I think that would be absolutely mental, and I'm not saying it'll happen, but by the same token, I won't be surprised if the zero net transfer spend pattern continues unabated. ENIC aren't suddenly going to change their spots if you ask me.

I think there's a danger that Pochettino having achieved everything he has this season in spite of the self-imposed transfer embargo could end up being the opposite of a silver lining, and that Levy/Lewis will say to themselves, "He's done it before, he can do it again." I think that would be absolutely mental, and I'm not saying it'll happen, but by the same token, I won't be surprised if the zero net transfer spend pattern continues unabated. ENIC aren't suddenly going to change their spots if you ask me.
No, Levy isnt that stupid - he knows that we will get found out sooner or later if we dont invest. He is a top class businessman which doesnt mean not spending, it means recognising when investment is necessary but not doing so excessively or outside of our means. ENIC hold shares in Rangers, Slavia Prague, Athens, Basel and one or two others. None of them are anywhere near our resource level and their past behaviour with them shouldnt be used as a predictor for how they will behave with a team who are flirting with becoming one of the top bracket teams in Europe.....

Spot on

Poch saying he will leave if we win the CL was a joke, clearly

People taking Poch comments and cutting/pasting where needed to spin a negative article. Its laughable
As was said in the Sunday Supplement - He said what he did and the journalists assumed he was joking. They then asked him the next day and he said no he was being serious. So it can be played down as much as you like, but it came from him more than once on separate days. Im not suggesting he is going, but its certainly right to be questioned...

As was said in the Sunday Supplement - He said what he did and the journalists assumed he was joking. They then asked him the next day and he said no he was being serious. So it can be played down as much as you like, but it came from him more than once on separate days. Im not suggesting he is going, but its certainly right to be questioned...

The first day was a joke and the 2nd time after the game I assume the one where he said if we win he leaves and if loss he leaves which was a total dig at the press for taking his previous interview out of the context it was meant.

I don’t think he will leave, but I’m very bored of his consistent comments in the press and the timing of them

Causing issues where there isn’t any.

It could be about offering our senior players the kind of contracts they might get elsewhere and reduce the risk of disruption from forced departures.
I think that was part of the approach started last season, and I'd say money for that trumped new signings, and we did make a start on that with Harry Dele and maybe Son (?)

Back