• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

Which goes to show that a good enough forward line can carry passengers like him and Milner. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be upgraded at the first opportunity.

Yet Klopp continues to depend on them in high profile matches with massive stakes, like last Tuesday's.

But then what does he and Poch know about football? I mean they only went and took their respective teams - against all odds - to the CL final. Compared to the exalted all-knowing scaramanga, and his long experience and success in managing top class teams, they are just a couple of amateurs....

Total straw man and nonsense statement.

Scara isnt even talking about Sissoko as of his first season, but this.

And its an entirely valid point to suggest we have had little choice but to play Sissoko, and to accommodate him/make the best of it we have had to abandon our ball playing ways and switch to a much more direct style of football.

It is also entirely fair to assume we will be planning to return to our tried and tested possession based (and frankly much better) ways at the earliest opportunity.

Neither of which is trying to slate Sissoko, its simple observation.
In certain games we’ve had little choice. In others he has kept his place because of his good performances. I think he may get a new contract this Summer and he deserves one. If I were to sell a midfield player this Summer to make way for N”Dombele then My choice would be Dier, slow, rash, poor first touch, poor decision making. Of course it may be that Wanyama is perma crocked, in which casevhe’ll Have to go instead, which would be a shame as he is a much better player than Dier.

Which goes to show that a good enough forward line can carry passengers like him and Milner. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be upgraded at the first opportunity.
Or that good coaches like Klopp realize players like Milner and Henderson are beneficial to a team to allow their attacking players to spend their time attacking?

I think most likely the situation with Klopp is that he's happy to stick with dependable 6/7 out of ten players who give their all in lieu of making signings for the sake of making signings - he stuck with Karius until he could sign an obvious improvement as he done with Lovern at the back, despite these being positions that were known problems over several windows, and on paper he done the same with Henderson and Milner (Keita and Fabinho) only in this instance the incoming players have taken time to settle/oust the incumbents.

It's an approach i am a fan of and is why last summers lack of activity didn't bother me too much, if we're only going to be in for slight improvements on what we have then i think we're better off sticking until a point that we have a true first choice target ready to bring in.

Last edited:
In certain games we’ve had little choice. In others he has kept his place because of his good performances. I think he may get a new contract this Summer and he deserves one. If I were to sell a midfield player this Summer to make way for N”Dombele then My choice would be Dier, slow, rash, poor first touch, poor decision making. Of course it may be that Wanyama is perma crocked, in which casevhe’ll Have to go instead, which would be a shame as he is a much better player than Dier.
Disagree on all counts, but that's football for you.

Unless we plan on continuing to play this kick and rush style (and I genuinely hope and think not) then Sissoko is just not built for the journey.

He might have put everything in and developed incredibly, but that wouldn't make it right to offer him a new deal where he will blatantly be down the pecking order.

And on a more cynical note, he'll likely be worth good money to sell this summer to facilitate moves like NDombele.

Wanyama is probably broken, and will move on, I do agree there.

But not on Dier. For some reason he is getting massive stick on here lately and it blows my mind. Not that I'm saying he has had a good season but he has been key to us for years and will be for years more imo

Unless we plan on continuing to play this kick and rush style (and I genuinely hope and think not) then Sissoko is just not built for the journey.

He might have put everything in and developed incredibly, but that wouldn't make it right to offer him a new deal where he will blatantly be down the pecking order.

And on a more cynical note, he'll likely be worth good money to sell this summer to facilitate moves like NDombele.

But not on Dier. For some reason he is getting massive stick on here lately and it blows my mind. Not that I'm saying he has had a good season but he has been key to us for years and will be for years more imo
Re Dier mate, I don't think he has ever been a "key" player for us. That said he is relatively young and has a higher ceiling than he has shown recently. I think he will stay but he needs to perform much better. For me it's Wanyama who is now by far the weakest of our midfield options. That said I do not buy the tiredness argument with Dier. He hardly played at the last World Cup, certainly less than others in the team and has been limited to only a small amount of games this season. He needs to step up. For me he is better as a defender than a midfielder but he needs to learn alongside Toby and Verts.

Man: Is this the right room for an argument?

Other Man:(John Cleese) I've told you once.

Man: No you haven't!

Other Man: Yes I have.

M: When?

O: Just now.

M: No you didn't!

O: Yes I did!

M: You didn't!

O: I did!

M: You didn't!

O: I'm telling you, I did!

M: You did not!

O: Oh I'm sorry, is this a five-minute argument, or the full half hour?

M: Ah! (taking out his wallet and paying) Just the five minutes.

O: Just the five minutes. Thank you.

O: Anyway, I did.

M: You most certainly did not!

O: Now let's get one thing quite clear: I most definitely told you!

M: Oh no you didn't!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: No you DIDN'T!

M: Oh look, this isn't an argument!

(pause)

O: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't!

(pause)

M: It's just contradiction!

O: No it isn't!

M: It IS!

O: It is NOT!

M: You just contradicted me!

O: No I didn't!

M: You DID!

O: No no no!

M: You did just then!

O: Nonsense!

M: (exasperated) Oh, this is futile!!

(pause)

M: Yes it is!

(pause)

M: I came here for a good argument!

O: AH, no you didn't, you came here for an argument!

M: An argument isn't just contradiction.

O: Well! it CAN be!

M: No it can't!

M: An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

M: Yes it is! 'tisn't just contradiction.

O: Look, if I *argue* with you, I must take up a contrary position!

M: Yes but it isn't just saying 'no it isn't'.

M: No it ISN'T! Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.

O: It is NOT!

M: It is!

O: Not at all!

M: It is!

(The Arguer hits a bell on his desk and stops.)

O: Thank you, that's it.

M: (stunned) What?

O: That's it. Good morning.

M: But I was just getting interested!

O: I'm sorry, the five minutes is up.

M: That was never five minutes just now!!

O: I'm afraid it was.

M: (leading on) No it wasn't.....

O: I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to argue any more.

"I will get you on the way back you Bastard"

Who is this Scaramanga person ?
Why is he so anti Sissoko.
Has Sissoko run away with his wife, sister, daughter etc.
Sissoko may not be the right CM to play in our "preferred" style of play.
However, he has replaced those CMs that have being sold (Dembele), injured (Winks) or become sh!t (Dier and Wanyama).
So, up steps our Savior to plug the hole. Why is that HIS problem
The system had to change to accommodate him. And he HAS performed in that role.

We have reached the CL final for the first time in our history, and managed to limp into the top 4.
Does he not get any credit for that, having played more games than the rest of the above mentioned CMs combined.

Is it possible to BAN this Scara person ??????? ( Posted in RED for maximum impact )

A couple of months ago I might have pretty much agreed with you on that. I think Sissoko has developed into a very fine defensive midfielder now. Playing his best football in a different role than previously this season when he was more box to box.

Next to Eriksen in the second half against Ajax. Next to Winks before Winksy again got stopped by injury. In that role he's not a kick and rush footballer, and he's performed better than Dier and Wanyama have for a very long time.
Re Dier mate, I don't think he has ever been a "key" player for us. That said he is relatively young and has a higher ceiling than he has shown recently. I think he will stay but he needs to perform much better. For me it's Wanyama who is now by far the weakest of our midfield options. That said I do not buy the tiredness argument with Dier. He hardly played at the last World Cup, certainly less than others in the team and has been limited to only a small amount of games this season. He needs to step up. For me he is better as a defender than a midfielder but he needs to learn alongside Toby and Verts.
Dier is imo yet to recover his best form, that's been true for too long now. This is his fifth season with us, I still think his first two were his best. I'm sure he has it in him to get back to his best, but he's been some way off that since well before his injury problems this season.

He absolutely is and has been for a very long time. He is the reason it all works.

The defensive shape, the high fullbacks, the seamless changes in formation mid-game, "key" is absolutely how I would describe him.

I also think he is a leader within the squad.

I am in no doubt he has been poor this season, and I do genuinely believe it to be fatigue and injury. Like Eriksen he simply plays when fit, has done for the past 4 seasons and I think this year its caught up to him.

He does need to step up, for sure, and regain his form. That doesnt take away from the fact he is a key man in our team though.

A couple of months ago I might have pretty much agreed with you on that. I think Sissoko has developed into a very fine defensive midfielder now. Playing his best football in a different role than previously this season when he was more box to box.

Next to Eriksen in the second half against Ajax. Next to Winks before Winksy again got stopped by injury. In that role he's not a kick and rush footballer, and he's performed better than Dier and Wanyama have for a very long time.

I made the argument months ago that the best use of Sissoko is as a pure DM. The only time he really played that was against Chelsea at home and I thought he was excellent.

He is more defensive than he was, but not really a DM either. Though it is still his defensive contributions that really count in his performances IMO.

He absolutely is and has been for a very long time. He is the reason it all works.

The defensive shape, the high fullbacks, the seamless changes in formation mid-game, "key" is absolutely how I would describe him.

I am in no doubt he has been poor this season, and I do genuinely believe it to be fatigue and injury. Like Eriksen he simply plays when fit, has done for the past 4 seasons and I think this year its caught up to him.

He does need to step up, for sure, and regain his form. That doesnt take away from the fact he is a key man in our team though.

I made the argument months ago that the best use of Sissoko is as a pure DM. The only time he really played that was against Chelsea at home and I thought he was excellent.

He is more defensive than he was, but not really a DM either. Though it is still his defensive contributions that really count in his performances IMO.
Depends on what you mean by a pure DM. Is that the role as the lone deep midfielder next to two box to box midfielders?

To me he's played as the DM when playing next to Winks (Dortmund, Chelsea, City) or Alli (Palace). The other player takes the brunt of the creative work, gets freedom to get forward. Sissoko makes occasional bursts forward, mostly keeps it simple on the ball, covers for attacking full backs, stops counter attacks, defends well when organized, the essentials of the DM role.

Sissoko has shown very little discipline in sitting deep.

He does a very good job of tracking runners and busting a nut to get back - but he goes walk about all over the place (see his trademarked "breaking the lines" super power that amounts to nothing most of the time) and is much more a roaming/b2b player than a DM.

When playing with Winks it is Winks who is explicitly sitting deep and playing a much more controlled game.

I pointed out Chelsea because that was a very different performance from Sissoko, he basically sat in front of the defence and stopped anything that came over the half way line - very Parkeresque (when Parker was useful) showing.

It was notable because not only was he excellent, its basically the only time he has done it.

Sissoko has shown very little discipline in sitting deep.

He does a very good job of tracking runners and busting a nut to get back - but he goes walk about all over the place (see his trademarked "breaking the lines" super power that amounts to nothing most of the time) and is much more a roaming/b2b player than a DM.

When playing with Winks it is Winks who is explicitly sitting deep and playing a much more controlled game.

I pointed out Chelsea because that was a very different performance from Sissoko, he basically sat in front of the defence and stopped anything that came over the half way line - very Parkeresque (when Parker was useful) showing.

It was notable because not only was he excellent, its basically the only time he has done it.
Sissoko has played varied roles for us

We miss him when he is out and we have sorely missed winks too and they have balanced each other out nicely

I’ve said that I think Dier and winks is a better blend but I would want winks and sissoko CMs in the final 100%

Sissoko has been excellent this season and has got better and better. If people didn’t have pre conceived opinionated of him he would be a revolation like Kante was in his first season

And his passing has been too notch vs Ajax

Dier played well along side Dembele and the Wanyama of two seasons ago but he was not the main man in either pairing. At the time of Dier’s “peak” he also had Walker as the right fullback who was a beast at getting up and down and the centre halves were incredibly consistent. It is no coincidence in my opinion that he has not looked anywhere near as good since he has to cover for a weaker right back and he has lost his influential partner in Dembele and Wanyama.

This season we have more than adjusted to his lack of gametime through Sissoko and Winks. Both of whom are now more influential and in my opinion more important than Dier.

In the past we could name a best X1 and for me Dier was the 12th or 13th choice, but due to his ability to stay fit and play different positions he managed to stay fit. He definitely deserves another season to try and prove himself worthy of a place in the squad.

Sissoko’s trajectory this season has been one of the biggest I’ve ever seen from a player I’ve watched regularly. I still think we need two new midfielders who can offer more on the ball and a set piece : goal threat but next season we want to have a pool of players who can perform a job without affecting the overall level of the team so we can rotate and not let anyone rest in their laurels. I see Sissoko being a big part of that. I think Deschamps described him as soldier and withholding my usual quip about Frenchmen and toast I now see what he meant. He may be infantry but the way he’s turned around his career shows me he has the biggest set of plums in this team, perhaps only rivalled by Kane. Better players than him have just taken the money gaining splinters and bitching until they get their next move. This guy just worked harder and harder until he managed to change everyone’s opinion of him, which from the negative starting point is even more difficult than when you start from 0.

Form fluctuates, so every player will have a poor spell at some stage. For me, Dier's issue this season is that it has been interrupted by injuries and he hasn't been able to play his way back into form.

Back