• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The glorious march to CL qualification

I’m not saying that we should sign him but he’s better than Llorente.

In that scenario then Janssen would be better. The one thing VJ does do is work hard, and put himself about. That is what Murray does. I would rather have VJ as the back up to Kane than Llorente, We have to change our style completely for Llorente.

I think that maintaining performance whilst replacing a manager who has been there for 25 years is a decent season. Next year he needs ti improve on that, I doubt he will.
I think they have a good coach, just a bunch of entitled players they need to get rid of.
A bit like us, however this time I think their history of overpaying players will make it more difficult for them to attract the best players, same as Man U. Just too easy to go there get paid well, and try to win something, and be satisfied if they don't just like the players before them.

We've done it the right way, and even with increased revenues I hope we increase our investment capability in young players. de ligt is out of our range now but de beek, and a few other players - hope we invest in a few from that group

Sent from my SM-T835 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think they have a good coach, just a bunch of entitled players they need to get rid of.
A bit like us, however this time I think their history of overpaying players will make it more difficult for them to attract the best players, same as Man U. Just too easy to go there get paid well, and try to win something, and be satisfied if they don't just like the players before them.

We've done it the right way, and even with increased revenues I hope we increase our investment capability in young players. de ligt is out of our range now but de beek, and a few other players - hope we invest in a few from that group

Sent from my SM-T835 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I don't think that there is any similarity with us. We're just running on empty and overdue a refresh.

I agree that they have an issue with mercenaries, it'll get worse if they cannot get CL football too. Stripping them out and rebuilding from scratch is a massive task. Arsenal tend to support their managers but the current owners have never been tested like this.

I think that maintaining performance whilst replacing a manager who has been there for 25 years is a decent season. Next year he needs ti improve on that, I doubt he will.
I think he has done as well as he could with that group of players. Having lots of strange consonants in the name doth not a great player maketh, I could have sworn that they recruited on exotic names alone at times, where actual skill was secondary. Still, and even if it's in our program to hate him, Wenger was a great manager. Stubborn and not very dynamic, yes, but a great manager nonetheless. He managed to scrape nothing more than a good set of players into the CL on a yearly basis while winning a few national cups, without spending too much. Even Poch has had a much better first XI at his disposal, and he's (rightly) lauded for achieving less. It was probably the club's entitled fans who forced him out, for not winning things he wasn't equipped to do. The smell of him probably still lingers around the club, absolutely everything you do will be measured against how he did things, and it's not easy no matter what players you have at your disposal in such a tough league as the premiership. It hasn't helped that they've made some strange signings, but few could argue about Lacazette or Aubameyang beforehand, even less us (as we allegedly were after both of them). We can thank luck for once, plus our inability to draw games, that it's (probably) us and not them playing Champions League next year.

Im genuinely enthused by this season in particular.

Spurs of old would have folded and fallen into the EUROPA spots, the amount of things against us this season has been incredible.

And did we? Did we fudge! We dug in, and we ground it out, and we got what we needed to get. Incl a CL run to be proud of.

This is proper "big club" stuff. We arent pretenders or upstarts anymore.

Yep.

And huge lessons and invaluable experience for Poch and Levy. Massive learning curve *and* it hasn’t cost us. Win-win.

Spurs of old would have folded and fallen into the EUROPA spots, the amount of things against us this season has been incredible.

And did we? Did we fudge! We dug in, and we ground it out, and we got what we needed to get. Incl a CL run to be proud of.

But we did fold, we have only scraped in because everyone else has been terrible as well - not because we were resilient. I mean 10 from the last 33 points says it all, stumbled over every hurdle going and in any other season we would likely have ended up 6th.

Last edited:
But we did fold, we have only scraped in because everyone else has been terrible as well - not because we were resilient. I mean 10 from the last 3 points says it all, stumbled over every hurdle going and in any other season we would likely have ended up 6th.

But we didn't and I would hope this means we both get Champions League and Poch gets to stick it to Levy about how stupid it is to not have a reliable replacement for Harry Kane. Perfect scenario.

A huge achievement when you take into consideration injuries, the world cup leaving many players looking jaded since Jan, and not having a proper home/ acclimatising to the new home. That we were just a few points off city and pool a couple of moths back, shows our pedigree but also that we need a more effective squad. Not replacing Dembele, having no back up for Eriksen, and needing to improve RB are clear steps forward we can take.

Well done to Poch. He is transforming us, its not overnight, but step by step.

I'm flying in for the Everton game. I'm not celebrating CL qualification until the final whistle next Sunday. If anyone wants to meet in a Public convenience in Wood Green after the game, please let me know. I'll bring the Custard.

I wouldn't quite say we ground it out. We had results that would have been considered bottling if the chasing pack didn't have equally dismal results.

Grinding it out is what - and I hate to say this - Lollerpool is doing. We got lucky in the end. Fatigue probably caught up with us, because we really haven't been clicking for the past couple of months.

It is amazing that despite losing 7 of our last 11 league matches and 13 in total, we are still in top 4 in the league. Shows you how poor the PL have been this season except for Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project. Good to know ManU can't overtake us while we are almost guaranteed to finish ahead of Arsenal baring a miracle. But after finishing in top 3 for the past 3 seasons, it will be a huge setback for us if we finish in 4th this season. Hope we can beat Everton and Chelsea drop points against Leicester so that we can finish in 3rd this season as well.

1. Post World Cup burnout from having 9 players in the semi finals
  2. Wembley factor
  3. No new players for two transfer windows
  4. Smallest wage bill in the top six by some margin
  5. Ridiculous injury list

We still managed top four and a semi final appearance in the CL.

Hang your heads in shame gooners.

I'm flying in for the Everton game. I'm not celebrating CL qualification until the final whistle next Sunday. If anyone wants to meet in a Public convenience in Wood Green after the game, please let me know. I'll bring the Custard.

I flew in for the Palace, City, Ajax games - and went to Bournemouth. Hope you get to see some goals from us!!!! Can't believe we qualified in the way that we did. But I'll take it. Makes up for Lasagnagate, The Battle of the Bridge, and Chelski fluking the CL. It was about time our luck changed. Thank Ghod it did.

Now onwards and upwards - lets win the CL to cap off a truly unbelievable season!!!!!

Back