• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emirates Marketing Project

Seriously would it not be wonderful if they got a 2-year CL ban and demoted to Championship........me vindictive? never!

I think they will be taking FFP to CAS / European Court - arguing that it is a restriction on Trade a la Bosman. I think this is why Uefa have been lenient on them so far as they are more willing to spend £50M on lawyers than fines. I reckon they will win and FFP will die.

(*I have no source just picked it up over the past few months).

Sheik-ing them down? Nice turn of phrase, but there's more to consider in this investigation.

Like, if UEFA were to find them guilty and actually live up to their recent sabre-rattling comments and ban EMP from Europe, wouldn't the Premier League and FA now have to consider whether the owners fit the description of 'fit and proper'?

Would they be willing to impose domestic sanctions? Points deductions? Demotion to lower league, a la Juve in Calciopoli? Transfer bans?

Might the league even consider ordering the owners to divest themselves of the club? Extreme, to be sure, but what a message to send out. And should a conviction occur, does that mean fifth place this year is into CL? Would second place now be awarded the PL title?

UEFA appear to be keen to pursue this because it's a recently empowered English club, playing in league that financially dwarfs much of what else goes on in Europe. A conviction would be a real boost to UEFA's image. It would be a very fashionable statement to make and put a shot across the bows of other pretenders like PSG - or anticipated upstarts like Zenit St. Petersburg - to govern themselves accordingly. And unlike some of the more pedigreed clubs around Europe, Emirates Marketing Project are a comparatively soft target. They wouldn't get a lot of sympathy in England.

Then they could turn to the whibbling, withering, intellectually impoverished Italian clubs squealing for hand outs and hand ups that they're working to restore competitive balance.

This here is the the difference, between what "should" happen, and what "will" (wont) happen.

Everything you say is right and proper. And then you must realise just how lilly livered and corrupt the football authorities are...

FFPs stated goal is stopping clubs going bust not fairness, City are not at risk of going bust. If its about fairness then put an absolute cap of spend, I know there will be cheats but we can police that (we already are with FFP).

Regardless of that City are breaking the rules and should be punished.

I think they will be taking FFP to CAS / European Court - arguing that it is a restriction on Trade a la Bosman. I think this is why Uefa have been lenient on them so far as they are more willing to spend £50M on lawyers than fines. I reckon they will win and FFP will die.

(*I have no source just picked it up over the past few months).

I can't see a case there and or the similarities with Bosman.

It's not a free and open market where anyone can enter. You can't just start a new club and enter any competition you want, you have to fulfil certain criteria. Rules limiting how much money can be spent are very different from a player being out of contract.

I can't see a case there and or the similarities with Bosman.
Me either but it is increasingly likey the route they are going down - bosman lawyer has already tried once https://www.asser.nl/SportsLaw/Blog...-the-legal-challenges-by-christopher-flanagan and it died as they were told they had to sue in Switzerland but not told he doesn't have a case.

In his complaint to the Commission, Mr Striani identified five anti-competitive effects of the Break Even Requirement:

1. It restricts external investment into football;
  2. It will have the effect of calcifying the hierarchy of the game, preventing ‘small’ clubs from competing at higher levels;
  3. It will depress the transfer market;
  4. It will depress players’ wages; and
  5. It will therefore adversely affect players’ agents’ revenue

Reports from Italy (yeah, i know) that Pep has agreed to takeover from Allegri at Juve next season..normally i'd laugh this out of town,..but..i thought it was odd that Pep said the UEFA FFP investigations into Emirates Marketing Project "would not taint his legacy", which i though was an odd thing to say, almost like he was taking the first steps to distance himself from City and the upcoming public dirty washing of laundry..like he knows they will be found guilty...

Pep with City without an ability to either play in CL or the abilty to spend wads of cash?? No, me neither...maybe Pep to Juve is possible??

Reports from Italy (yeah, i know) that Pep has agreed to takeover from Allegri at Juve next season..normally i'd laugh this out of town,..but..i thought it was odd that Pep said the UEFA FFP investigations into Emirates Marketing Project "would not taint his legacy", which i though was an odd thing to say, almost like he was taking the first steps to distance himself from City and the upcoming public dirty washing of laundry..like he knows they will be found guilty...

Pep with City without an ability to either play in CL or the abilty to spend wads of cash?? No, me neither...maybe Pep to Juve is possible??

Not totally preposterous, he does seem like a really self obsessed taco that would think like that. And has bailed everytime things have got rocky.

Me either but it is increasingly likey the route they are going down - bosman lawyer has already tried once https://www.asser.nl/SportsLaw/Blog...-the-legal-challenges-by-christopher-flanagan and it died as they were told they had to sue in Switzerland but not told he doesn't have a case.

In his complaint to the Commission, Mr Striani identified five anti-competitive effects of the Break Even Requirement:

1. It restricts external investment into football;
  2. It will have the effect of calcifying the hierarchy of the game, preventing ‘small’ clubs from competing at higher levels;
  3. It will depress the transfer market;
  4. It will depress players’ wages; and
  5. It will therefore adversely affect players’ agents’ revenue

How is 3 and 4 anti-competitive? If anything, lower wages and transfer fees means more teams can afford the best players.

FFP is a scam anyway. Strict limits on squad size, players on loan, wage caps and signing on fees, is the way forward for a more level playing field.

How is 3 and 4 anti-competitive? If anything, lower wages and transfer fees means more teams can afford the best players.

FFP is a scam anyway. Strict limits on squad size, players on loan, wage caps and signing on fees, is the way forward for a more level playing field.
Anti-competitive for those selling their skills not for the game, competition law doesn't care about sporting competitvness

This is a special kind of terrible:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pep-guardiolas-man-city-tenure-14286772

EDIT: by Andy Dunn

Why Pep Guardiola's Emirates Marketing Project tenure will not be defined by the Champions League
Winning another Premier League, and holding off Liverpool, will be Guardiola's crowning achievement - not Europe

There is a common perception Pep Guardiola’s tenure at Emirates Marketing Projectwill be defined by whether he wins the Champions League or not.

It will not.

It has already been defined by the new, rarefied standards he and his team have set at the top end of the Premier League.

When he leaves his post, City’s record in what is, essentially, a 16-team knockout competition that begins in February should have little bearing on his legacy.

In a two-legged tie against another member of Europe’s elite – or Spurs – nothing is guaranteed.

Especially in the home straight of a season in which you have already contested 53 competitive matches. (If, Mourinho-style, you count the Community Shield, which Guardiola is now doing.)

And especially when you have gone full-tilt at every competition, winning one domestic cup already and reaching the final of another.

Next Wednesday, there is every chance Emirates Marketing Project will take their leave of the Champions League.

The bookmakers do not often get it wrong – ask the founder of one of the most familiar takers of footballing wagers, Bet 365. At the last count, Denise Coates was worth the best part of £5billion.

But for City to remain strongish favourites to go through to the semi-finals might be a misstep.

The ludicrous, antiquated away-goals rule, now in Tottenham’s favour, should make the outcome a 50-50 call.

But if City go out, it would be no disaster.

If Guardiola was offered the choice of guaranteed Premier League success or progression to the last four of the Champions League, he would take the former.

And I suspect most City fans would do likewise.

When Manchester United re-established themselves as a true powerhouse in the early Nineties, they won four domestic league titles before the 1998-99 season when a fifth was finally accompanied by Champions League triumph.

If City edge out Liverpool in this magnificent title race, it will be their fourth in eight seasons.

Establishing domestic dominance in such a competitive era – no team has defended a crown in a decade – has to be City’s priority and would be a stellar achievement.

There is no doubt City have a squad capable of winning the Champions League.

Guardiola’s team selection at Spurs has come under scrutiny, particularly his decision not to start Kevin de Bruyne.

But the Belgian’s long-term physical well-being has to come into Guardiola’s thoughts and if he was giving him a break ahead of Sunday’s engagement at Crystal Palace, the City manager cannot be faulted.

If winning this epic duel with Liverpool is consuming more of his thoughts than the Champions League, he cannot be faulted.

To win that duel, City are probably going to have to win their remaining six League fixtures. And that would mean a final tally of 98 points.

Back-to-back titles with a total of 198 points would be one of the most remarkable feats in the history of English club football.

It would mean 64 wins from 76 games and, almost certainly, over 200 goals scored in that stretch. It would be astonishing.

There might come a time, either with Guardiola or someone else at the helm, when success in Europe for City becomes a burning necessity.

But that time is not now.

"Or Spurs" what an absolute clam.

Last edited:
Back