• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Kane should ignore the media and not buy into this narrative of bottling it. There are reasons players dont play well in certain games and it is not all due to pressure. There is squad depth, mental and physical fitness as well.

That said he also needs to take a hard look at himself.

Does he, Why is that?

Kane should ignore the media and not buy into this narrative of bottling it. There are reasons players dont play well in certain games and it is not all due to pressure. There is squad depth, mental and physical fitness as well.

So let me get this straight, our manager and star striker and local boy have bought into the media narrative and fans on a message board have managed to analyse the situation better and have decided that we don't have any problem at all with mentality in high pressure games?

But we are the lilywhites and above all that skullduggery. ;)The main thing is ALL fans think their team get more stick then anyone else ( its always been that way).

Indeed. Got a few friends who are 'neutral' (in so much as you can be as a football fan) who support lower league clubs, generally have a soft spot for Spurs and like what we're doing but think we're one of the dirtiest teams in the league. Niggling fouls, lots of players who leave a foot in, some diving, they think we're masters at spreading fouls around to break up momentum of other teams and that we can become incredibly petulant and put in some dangerous challenges (they showed me the Dele and Kane challenges against Emirates Marketing Project when we lost 4-1, which I had basically blanked from my mind and they were right, they were fudging appalling challenges that we would still be talking about now if our players were on the receiving end).

So yep, pretty much every team's fans thinks their brick smells like roses, their players can do little wrong, other teams are scum, the referees and pundits are all out to get them and everyone hates them.

Part of being a football fan I guess. :D

Its not a narrative at all, when it comes to the crunch we have consistently not got the job done. We haven't just got the 'bottlers' tag for the sake of it, everyone from fans to pundits to journalists to players recognise our ability to fall at the final hurdle. I can understand some on here not liking it, but its unfortunately reality and even our coach and star player have said as much and its something we need to change - you can make as many excuses as you want, it is what it is......

Indeed. Got a few friends who are 'neutral' (in so much as you can be as a football fan) who support lower league clubs, generally have a soft spot for Spurs and like what we're doing but think we're one of the dirtiest teams in the league. Niggling fouls, lots of players who leave a foot in, some diving, they think we're masters at spreading fouls around to break up momentum of other teams and that we can become incredibly petulant and put in some dangerous challenges (they showed me the Dele and Kane challenges against Emirates Marketing Project when we lost 4-1, which I had basically blanked from my mind and they were right, they were fudging appalling challenges that we would still be talking about now if our players were on the receiving end).

So yep, pretty much every team's fans thinks their brick smells like roses, their players can do little wrong, other teams are scum, the referees and pundits are all out to get them and everyone hates them.

Pochettino's roots in Argentinian footballing culture will have played no small part in this rise. He sees little wrong with it, actively encourages it. Though I don't believe he would go so far as to endorse the dangerous tackles you mentioned. I think his principles would dictate that the dangerous play is not what he wants his team to do. But his protection of the team mean that he would be reticent to publicly condemn them.

Really starting to think that Poch and Kane should STFU for a while; whilst they have been key in raising the general standing of the club in recent years, the blame for not taking 'that last step' can equally be attributed to them as much as anyone else.

Poch: how about your in-game management for the Juventus and Man utd games last season, not to mention about your decision to play Son at fudging left wing-back in a FA Semi-final?!! Also, how about not poo-pooing the cups before you talk about 'failing to take the last step'??

Kane: have you wondered what might have been if you had your scoring boots on in the Juve game, the game in the EL vs Ghent in Feb 2017? Oh and did you do yourself justice in that FA Cup semi vs Man Utd?

Please, simply button it FFS

Have to say I agree with @Raziel on this one.

Yes, we will go in full blooded. Yes we will play the gamesmanship "he touched me I went down" thing. Yes there are times we put in a bad tackle (though I dont think maliciously). And yes we will take one for the team to kill an attack.

However....

This is all "playing the game" type fouls. I hate it, I dont like most of it, but its how every team operate these days and to not do so is to give a self imposed handicap.

None of this is the "bad" sort of fouling though, its what football has become.

Take recent weeks for example, we have literally been kicked up in the air, stamped on, barged off the ball, studs down the back of the leg and suffered some horror tackles - all unpunished.

We have been kicked and pushed out of games. And I honestly dont think we ever play THAT way. And that is what I think of when I think of teams being dirty etc.

Burnley, Arsenal, Chelsea - have a look at the treatment they served us up - we dont even play that game.

Have to say I agree with @Raziel on this one.

Yes, we will go in full blooded. Yes we will play the gamesmanship "he touched me I went down" thing. Yes there are times we put in a bad tackle (though I dont think maliciously). And yes we will take one for the team to kill an attack.

However....

This is all "playing the game" type fouls. I hate it, I dont like most of it, but its how every team operate these days and to not do so is to give a self imposed handicap.

None of this is the "bad" sort of fouling though, its what football has become.

Take recent weeks for example, we have literally been kicked up in the air, stamped on, barged off the ball, studs down the back of the leg and suffered some horror tackles - all unpunished.

We have been kicked and pushed out of games. And I honestly dont think we ever play THAT way. And that is what I think of when I think of teams being dirty etc.

Burnley, Arsenal, Chelsea - have a look at the treatment they served us up - we dont even play that game.

I agree with your overall point, apart from the last line: Burnley and Arsenal got away with a lot agreed; not sure Chelsea were particularly rough with us at all; in fact the ref let a lot go from both sides really..

I agree with your overall point, apart from the last line: Burnley and Arsenal got away with a lot agreed; not sure Chelsea were particularly rough with us at all; in fact the ref let a lot go from both sides really..

Chelsea got away with loads, Rudiger particularly.

Difference is they were pretty smart about it. Managed to keep us off kilter the whole game with their subtle dirty play.

One for opinion, not really provable is it?

For me they were sly clams throughout. We were combative, but there is a difference in intent IMO.

Since the 'Battle of the Bridge" we are as combative/sly as they are. We aren't pushed over by Chelsea anymore, even in terms of plain clamery and slyness as well as outright tough challenges

I thought Burnley in particular crossed the line. There was one foul in particular that incensed me - Chris Wood thought it acceptable to jump into Aurier's chest using his shoulder to poleaxe him. A foul but nothing more (in the eyes of the ref) because no elbows were involved. Very clever but equally dangerous because Aurier was left severely winded and writhing in agony.
I'm really not sure how to deal with these teams, there are some days when you can just let the football do the talking but on a day when you're struggling, I'm not sure if its even worth tipping over the edge discipline-wise and dishing out a serious foul to one of Wood or Barnes. I mean one that really hurts them and lets them know we'll come to the fight. I want to see us be a lot more physical with teams like that. What's the worst case scenario - a red card? In a bizarre way it works to our advantage because Burnley don't want the man advantage - we'd kill them on the break. It makes you wonder...

Chelsea - I though Mariner did a great job of letting things go on both sides. Against the goons I thought we gave as good as we got - there were studs & stamps on both sides which is fine as long as the ref views it that way and doesn't lean one way or another.

The problem is that we are too honest not cynical enough.
Don't get me wrong, I see it as an axillary defence, not something to go on the offensive with.

Bale was on the wrong end of many decisions too. Leave his foot down he might break it. On the other hand avoid the tackle and lose balance, he's a cheat.

Sent from my SM-T835 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think we are the only ones who think we are not cynical, most other supporters think the complete opposite.
Rose straight up dives, Son goes down very easily, Ali is Ali, Lamella is Lamella and Verts is known to be sly & Kane knows how to win a FK.

I think we are the only ones who think we are not cynical, most other supporters think the complete opposite.
Rose straight up dives, Son goes down very easily, Ali is Ali, Lamella is Lamella and Verts is known to be sly & Kane knows how to win a FK.

All of which I see as "the game". Play it or lose out.

I dont agree with it, I think the authorities should enforce the rules and stamp it out, but it is what it is.

And, IMO, its different from the outright thuggery and cheating we have had to (regularly) contend with.

Back