• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

A rarity - an article actually supporting our model (and from the Daily Fail as well).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ttenham-admirable-club-rest-want-emulate.html

For those not wanting to click on the link :

Tottenham's Carabao Cup semi-final penalty shoot-out defeat by Chelsea on Thursday night was met with widespread mirth. Spurs had gone all sexy. Again.

Social media was awash with pictures of bottles. Chelsea's new signing, Gonzalo Higuain, it was said, had been in the country for six hours and had reached the same number of English cup finals as Spurs in the last 10 seasons.

Everybody wanted to get involved. Arsenal fans and ex-players were particularly pleased, for obvious reasons. Wojciech Szczesny, an Arsenal legend in his own mind, posted a video on social media of him singing into the camera. 'It's happened again, it's happened again,' he droned with a smirk, before breaking off. 'You know the rest,' he added.

Yes, we know the rest. We know that Spurs lost in a domestic semi-final for the third season in a row. We also know that for the third season in a row, they are playing some of the most attractive football in the Premier League. We also know that, unlike so many of the basket-case clubs that fritter away their impossible riches on fickle fancies and follies, they are growing and improving all the time.

We know that, over the last five years, Spurs' net spend is lower than all but two Premier League clubs. We know that they don't blow the wealth the television companies throw at them quite as brazenly as some of their rivals. We know that they have ploughed much of their revenue into their new stadium. We know their finances are relatively stable. It's old fashioned, I know, but I like that template.

It is amusing how Janus-faced many of us have become about football club profligacy. Most commonly, we are keen to decry clubs for obscene spending on player transfers and agent fees. Clubs who spend to excess are accused of trying to buy success as if their financial dealings somehow delegitimise what they achieve.

The idea is that they have taken a short-cut to success, rather than earned it. The idea is that that success is therefore vulgar and without merit. We are supposed to infer from it a lack of tradition in the spending club and, furthermore, a lack of talent. The club could not create success through its academy so it went out and waved its wad to get the job done instead.

And yet when Spurs go a summer without spending any money at all on transfers, as they did last summer, we lambast them, too. We accuse them of negligence and parsimony and lack of ambition and we chip away at a sub-text that ENIC, the club's owners, and Daniel Levy, the Spurs chairman, are simply too mean to chuck £50million or more at the superstar player who might help them win a trophy.

Maybe it's just that I spent some time this week in the company of Accrington Stanley owner, Andy Holt, one of the foremost critics of the spending madness blighting the Premier League and sending so many of our clubs towards the brink of ruin but I admire the approach Spurs have taken compared to many of their rivals

They are third in the league and they are in the last 16 of the Champions League. If they negotiate a difficult away tie against Crystal Palace on Sunday, they will be in the FA Cup fifth round. They are about to move into what those who have seen it suggest will be the best club stadium in England and they have an impressive new training ground.

They are established as a top-rank elite English team now, partly because they have invested so much in their infrastructure. It's a treat to watch them play. Christian Eriksen, Dele Alli, Harry Kane and Son Heung-Min are wonderful players and Mauricio Pochettino is a manager whose work has attracted lascivious glances from many directions, not least Manchester United.

Sure, sometimes I've wished Levy would sanction more spending for Pochettino. Sometimes, I've thought his penchant for leaving the conclusion of transfers to the 11th hour has cost the club points. The bigger picture, though, is that Spurs have overtaken Arsenal in north London and are currently the closest challengers to Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project.

So, going back to Szczesny's inanities, yes, we know the rest. The rest is that Spurs are a club to be admired. If the rest of the Premier League followed their example, it would be a better place.

Oh -and "Wojciech Szczesny, an Arsenal legend in his own mind" :D

A rarity - an article actually supporting our model (and from the Daily Fail as well).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ttenham-admirable-club-rest-want-emulate.html

Tottenham's Carabao Cup semi-final penalty shoot-out defeat by Chelsea on Thursday night was met with widespread mirth. Spurs had gone all sexy. Again.

Social media was awash with pictures of bottles. Chelsea's new signing, Gonzalo Higuain, it was said, had been in the country for six hours and had reached the same number of English cup finals as Spurs in the last 10 seasons.

Everybody wanted to get involved. Arsenal fans and ex-players were particularly pleased, for obvious reasons. Wojciech Szczesny, an Arsenal legend in his own mind, posted a video on social media of him singing into the camera. 'It's happened again, it's happened again,' he droned with a smirk, before breaking off. 'You know the rest,' he added.

Yes, we know the rest. We know that Spurs lost in a domestic semi-final for the third season in a row. We also know that for the third season in a row, they are playing some of the most attractive football in the Premier League. We also know that, unlike so many of the basket-case clubs that fritter away their impossible riches on fickle fancies and follies, they are growing and improving all the time.

We know that, over the last five years, Spurs' net spend is lower than all but two Premier League clubs. We know that they don't blow the wealth the television companies throw at them quite as brazenly as some of their rivals. We know that they have ploughed much of their revenue into their new stadium. We know their finances are relatively stable. It's old fashioned, I know, but I like that template.

It is amusing how Janus-faced many of us have become about football club profligacy. Most commonly, we are keen to decry clubs for obscene spending on player transfers and agent fees. Clubs who spend to excess are accused of trying to buy success as if their financial dealings somehow delegitimise what they achieve.

The idea is that they have taken a short-cut to success, rather than earned it. The idea is that that success is therefore vulgar and without merit. We are supposed to infer from it a lack of tradition in the spending club and, furthermore, a lack of talent. The club could not create success through its academy so it went out and waved its wad to get the job done instead.

And yet when Spurs go a summer without spending any money at all on transfers, as they did last summer, we lambast them, too. We accuse them of negligence and parsimony and lack of ambition and we chip away at a sub-text that ENIC, the club's owners, and Daniel Levy, the Spurs chairman, are simply too mean to chuck £50million or more at the superstar player who might help them win a trophy.

Maybe it's just that I spent some time this week in the company of Accrington Stanley owner, Andy Holt, one of the foremost critics of the spending madness blighting the Premier League and sending so many of our clubs towards the brink of ruin but I admire the approach Spurs have taken compared to many of their rivals

They are third in the league and they are in the last 16 of the Champions League. If they negotiate a difficult away tie against Crystal Palace on Sunday, they will be in the FA Cup fifth round. They are about to move into what those who have seen it suggest will be the best club stadium in England and they have an impressive new training ground.

They are established as a top-rank elite English team now, partly because they have invested so much in their infrastructure. It's a treat to watch them play. Christian Eriksen, Dele Alli, Harry Kane and Son Heung-Min are wonderful players and Mauricio Pochettino is a manager whose work has attracted lascivious glances from many directions, not least Manchester United.

Sure, sometimes I've wished Levy would sanction more spending for Pochettino. Sometimes, I've thought his penchant for leaving the conclusion of transfers to the 11th hour has cost the club points. The bigger picture, though, is that Spurs have overtaken Arsenal in north London and are currently the closest challengers to Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project.

So, going back to Szczesny's inanities, yes, we know the rest. The rest is that Spurs are a club to be admired. If the rest of the Premier League followed their example, it would be a better place.

Don't know who wrote that, but I suggest he'll be out of a job soon. Can't go breaking ranks line that.

Don't know who wrote that, but I suggest he'll be out of a job soon. Can't go breaking ranks line that.

Think it was by Oliver Hoult their chief writer

This week has seen a strange turn in the press on the poch must win things agenda. I genuinely think that some people recognised that we would have won that game made the final if we hadn’t been beset with injuries and they know no one can do anything about that.

This week has seen a strange turn in the press on the poch must win things agenda. I genuinely think that some people recognised that we would have won that game made the final if we hadn’t been beset with injuries and they know no one can do anything about that.

I try not to read the press too much, even more so after a bad result.

Today Andy Dunn (Chelsea fan) was correct on Sunday Supplement ( I always watch on Sunday morning:rolleyes:).
It is bloody hard to get in an then stay near the top in EPL and be in 4 competitions and has got so much harder over the past 5 years.
When we play Dortmund we will have played 13 games more, :eek: bloody ridiculous.

Because it helps then push the Man United agenda, who would want Poch if they slate him and the club. Talk him up, talk up the move to United, simple

I remember all the years when the Goons were better than us and I took solace in their defeats. And while I don’t like us losing, it is great that it’s their turn to find joy I our defeat (espeacially after they got easily beaten with a goal from a former player and picked up a couple more injuries).

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy “hated the idea” of a £30 cap on away tickets for fans, according to leaked emails published by Der Spiegel.

The Times, citing the German weekly news magazine’s latest revelations from the Football Leaks documents, reveal how the Spurs chief reacted to a warning from ex-Premier League chief Richard Scudamore in 2016 over the the proposed cap.

In the build-up to the March 2016 meeting in which the 20 top-flight teams reached an agreement on the £30 figure, Scudamore emailed the clubs, saying: “No amount of charity giving or the deployment of slick PR can make up for the reputation we have garnered, fairly or unfairly, in the court of public opinion, of being greedy b******* and not giving two hoots for the fans.”

In response, Levy emailed the executives of the other members of the “big six” – Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and the two Manchester clubs as well as Spurs, saying: “Happy to do a call with us 6 . . . I personally hate the idea.”

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/02/blogs/premier-league/leaked-levy-hated-idea-of-30-away-fans-cap/

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy “hated the idea” of a £30 cap on away tickets for fans, according to leaked emails published by Der Spiegel.

The Times, citing the German weekly news magazine’s latest revelations from the Football Leaks documents, reveal how the Spurs chief reacted to a warning from ex-Premier League chief Richard Scudamore in 2016 over the the proposed cap.

In the build-up to the March 2016 meeting in which the 20 top-flight teams reached an agreement on the £30 figure, Scudamore emailed the clubs, saying: “No amount of charity giving or the deployment of slick PR can make up for the reputation we have garnered, fairly or unfairly, in the court of public opinion, of being greedy b******* and not giving two hoots for the fans.”

In response, Levy emailed the executives of the other members of the “big six” – Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and the two Manchester clubs as well as Spurs, saying: “Happy to do a call with us 6 . . . I personally hate the idea.”

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/02/blogs/premier-league/leaked-levy-hated-idea-of-30-away-fans-cap/
It’s probably for different reasons but I’m not a fan of the cap as it’s made it easier for people to buy and resell tickets effectively making it a closed shop as it’s now difficult to build up the loyalty points to get a ticket.

If they had a way of ensuring they purchaser actually attended the game or made some of the tickets available via a ballot I think the original intention of making it fairer for fans would be more satisfactory. Although due to the limited supply and costs of travel would it have been better to have made all clubs provide a % of home tickets at a fixed price, again available in singles or pairs via a ballot with the purchaser proving attendance to help anyone who feels they are being priced out of attending games?

It's a strange one, because in principle it sounds a good idea, but in reality I'd bet members would rather pay extra for a chance at a ticket. And it sounds like Levy would be happier too.
Personally I think those that actually attend the most games should be favoured, with priority given to those who spend the most at the club.
1.Corporate and actually attend every game.
2. Actually attend every game.
3. Corporate.
In that order. So if you spend a lot of money, you get preference. But don't complain if you spend a lot of money, but don't regularly go away/use your away ticket.

It’s probably for different reasons but I’m not a fan of the cap as it’s made it easier for people to buy and resell tickets effectively making it a closed shop as it’s now difficult to build up the loyalty points to get a ticket.

Agree. From our point of view its probably had a slightly perverse effect, in that we didn't really need anything to encourage away attendance, so what's it's done for us is actually to concentrate attendance even further into that closed shop, with a number of previously fairly regular away attendees further down the food chain frozen out.

From my lifetime of experience with Spurs, though, I'd doubt that matches up to the reason they were concerned about it...

Heh.

Back