• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

The Times reporting that Toby demanded £150,000-a-week and a release clause in a new contract before negotiations broke down.

I would pay him the money - even if its triple his current wage.

He is different class and we will be seriously weaker without him. He has been absolutely magnificent this season.

Would not be surprised, if all the other top 6 clubs in the PL tried to sign him in the summer. £25m is a snip for a player like him in todays market.

Toby Alderweireld wanted his Tottenham salary tripled to £150,000-a-week before the contract stalemate that means he could leave the club for £26million in the summer, according to the Times.

The newspaper moot the possibility of the defender being brought back to the negotiating table with the Spurs hierarchy on the back of an impressive season and a month after the club triggered an option to extend his current agreement until 2020.

The Times report Alderweireld has rejected two offers to extend his current £53,000-a-week deal and that he wanted a release clause inserted into a fresh agreement.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/02/blogs/premier-league/alderweireld-wanted-his-salary-tripled/

@Denmark Spur I think the full rumour was he initially asked for 150K, the club after several rounds of negotiations actually offered him 150K and he (agent) then came back and said they wanted 180K, and several people in the club felt betrayed by the bait and switch, hence the odd not playing at the end of last season.

I'd have to say, he and Eriksen have been consummate professionals on the pitch (we really have no idea the truth off), he seems very happy in the group and is doing his part.

I hope we finish better than 3rd, get to QF/SF of CL, have new stadium and make a real push to retain him and Eriksen.

I know Levy really doesn't like it, but a renewed contract for both of them, with some kind of "reasonable" release clause might work for all parties if it means we get another couple of years out of those guys.

@Denmark Spur I think the full rumour was he initially asked for 150K, the club after several rounds of negotiations actually offered him 150K and he (agent) then came back and said they wanted 180K, and several people in the club felt betrayed by the bait and switch, hence the odd not playing at the end of last season.

I'd have to say, he and Eriksen have been consummate professionals on the pitch (we really have no idea the truth off), he seems very happy in the group and is doing his part.

I hope we finish better than 3rd, get to QF/SF of CL, have new stadium and make a real push to retain him and Eriksen.

I know Levy really doesn't like it, but a renewed contract for both of them, with some kind of "reasonable" release clause might work for all parties if it means we get another couple of years out of those guys.

I think we have to assume they have been total pro's off the pitch as well - absolutely no way they would be playing otherwise, not under Poch.

I know the whole bait and switch thing was rumoured/reported, and its entirely believable, we just dont know for sure. As I heard it here Poch went in to bat for Alderweireld at the £150k and felt betrayed by their consequent moving of the goal posts.

If I had to guess, regardless of £150/180k, I would suggest the release clause would be the real stumbling block.

I doubt Levy is a fan at all, he likes to exercise control over contracts, know with certainty where things stand - a release clause kills that completely. Particularly if it is at a "reasonable" amount.

I think we have to assume they have been total pro's off the pitch as well - absolutely no way they would be playing otherwise, not under Poch.

I know the whole bait and switch thing was rumoured/reported, and its entirely believable, we just dont know for sure. As I heard it here Poch went in to bat for Alderweireld at the £150k and felt betrayed by their consequent moving of the goal posts.

If I had to guess, regardless of £150/180k, I would suggest the release clause would be the real stumbling block.

I doubt Levy is a fan at all, he likes to exercise control over contracts, know with certainty where things stand - a release clause kills that completely. Particularly if it is at a "reasonable" amount.

Agree with all, I just think the club is growing .. Levy has shown he can "learn" in the past, right now our choices seem to be

- Let Toby walk for a small fee at summer, and potentially have to cash in on Eriksen (before his final year) or
- give them a good bump in pay, with a release clause that is either based on a level of money that we would accept, or for specific clubs (e.g. Eriksen, you sign for 4 years, but if Barca comes along with better than 75M, you can go …)

Im with you, Id sign them up.

Though I do think the release clause could remain a deal breaker, and honestly I can understand and accept that.

There is the case for precedent also, if we hand out a release clause because a player dug his heels in, it could happen every time a contract comes up. If losing Alderweireld meant stopping that sort of issue then Id back that move.

If we are going to be paying a player a big wage (in the context of our pay structure) then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a definite term commitment in return. Not 'ok I'll take £150k pw but if something better comes along you have to let me leave.' Simplistic perhaps (e.g someone like Eriksen might want a release clause linked to specific clubs only) and I appreciate it can work the other way if a manager decides a player is no longer in his plans - but insisting on a release clause feels somehow incompatible with the kind of commitment Poch would be looking for.

If we are going to be paying a player a big wage (in the context of our pay structure) then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a definite term commitment in return. Not 'ok I'll take £150k pw but if something better comes along you have to let me leave.' Simplistic perhaps (e.g someone like Eriksen might want a release clause linked to specific clubs only) and I appreciate it can work the other way if a manager decides a player is no longer in his plans - but insisting on a release clause feels somehow incompatible with the kind of commitment Poch would be looking for.

You raise some very fair points there...i think it's part of the kind of crossroads we find ourselves as a club that aspires to be elite...might need to be some compromises, but ones that will have to be very carefully thought through and with our long-term strategy (well at least for the following 3 to 5 years) in mind

We will have to adapt as we step up the levels in terms of players/contracts etc, for sure.

But as Glenda says, and specifically under Poch, we have a real and tangible ethos around commitment which release clauses do contradict.

And the only way a player is agreeing to them is if they are achievable, which means the player is potentially to be lost at any time.

Levy in particular, but Poch as well, hold a longer term strategy very dear, its got us where we are, I dont see room for inviting those kind of issues.

We will have to adapt as we step up the levels in terms of players/contracts etc, for sure.

But as Glenda says, and specifically under Poch, we have a real and tangible ethos around commitment which release clauses do contradict.

And the only way a player is agreeing to them is if they are achievable, which means the player is potentially to be lost at any time.

Levy in particular, but Poch as well, hold a longer term strategy very dear, its got us where we are, I dont see room for inviting those kind of issues.

Agreed.

The rumors about Poch going to bat for him and the subsequent stuff are true. The biggest breakdown came when player and manager had a "disagreement" but as we can see once the summer rolled on and nobody wanted to touch him for that money and a fee, both have been supreme pros and got on with doing the right and professional thing. The biggest intrigue is coming because Toby has proven this fitness and slowly played his way back into top form again (like Rose, proving me wrong again!)...

I really don't like the idea of going into the new stadium with a Toby sized hole in our defence. He's basically unparalleled in world football as a centre back. Given the crazy figures doing the rounds these days, paying him what he wants hardly seems like a huge mistake.

The unreported (not that they'd know) figure is the size of the release clause. That makes all the difference.

The question to ask Toby is what wage a week would be acceptable WITHOUT the release clause.

Then the problem is his age, would Levy sanction a 180-200k a week 4 year contract for a 30 year old?

The other problem, that is beyond our control, is Toby is 4 months from signing for someone else for 25m, that is his opportunity to go somewhere else, on the cheap, and use that to ask his future club for fat wages. In his eyes he'll be on catch-up as he's been 'losing' £3-4m a year being on £60k a week.

With all that said, solely as a player I want him to stay, we 100% need him.

I hope he signs, I think we'll see an even better player. Think he's been playing within himself, with a view to not scuppering a transfer.

Is it like car mileage? Does that mean he’s got a lot more to run, or that he’s injury prone?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Not sure really (without dissecting the reasons why), just thought it didn't sound many. (although looking closer that is only league games:)).

think a centre half has less damaging miles, they can cruise thru some easy games, and also in the modern game most players can tolerate a busy schedule accept maybe players like rooney/owen who start so young and really clock up the miles.

...and in there, as they say, lies the rub

Back