• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Manureskjaer

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Felt like a spurzy game to me. Manure on a roll, we have a hatful of chances and don’t QUITE hit the ball exactly where it needs to be a the keeper plays a blinder while the ref lets him take weeks on a goal kick and allows the oppo to almost foul at will.

When we lose, we look for reasons why. That's logical. But it wasn't one factor. We'd like it be. That would be easier. But the truth is, a number of things happened. If you want one predominate factor, it was Sissoko going off.

Then you've got the manager not getting the team setup right, or asking them to hold back a bit and the defensive line to drop off a touch until half time. You've got Trippier's intercepted pass. You've got verts not being fully match sharp and being out paced. You've got Lloris being beaten. And about 20 shots that didn't head a goal for us. To blame Tripper is easy, but its not the only factor.

Felt like a spurzy game to me. Manure on a roll, we have a hatful of chances and don’t QUITE hit the ball exactly where it needs to be a the keeper plays a blinder while the ref lets him take weeks on a goal kick and allows the oppo to almost foul at will.

Yep. Felt just like the worst part of the SAF days..when their current incumbent used to probably say himself "lads, it's Tottenham"...urggghhh!

When we lose, we look for reasons why. That's logical. But it wasn't one factor. We'd like it be. That would be easier. But the truth is, a number of things happened. If you want one predominate factor, it was Sissoko going off.

Then you've got the manager not getting the team setup right, or asking them to hold back a bit and the defensive line to drop off a touch until half time. You've got Trippier intercepted pass. You've got verts not being sharp and being out paced. You've got Lloris being beaten. And about 20 shots that didn't head a goal for us. To blame Tripper is easy, but its not the only factor.

That's a fair post tbh.

However, to be fair to those people who are slating Trippier (more than i am btw) it's the fact that his factor is the one commonly popping up in the analyses most times after such games like today...

Seeing that image, I can't help thinking that we'd be better off playing Sissoko as a right wing-back, dropping Trippier and playing a 3rd centre-back in his place. That would also allow number 33 (Davies) to push higher on the left and give us better balance.

I think that is a decent shout in theory, the problem would imo be Sissoko's poor crossing compared to Trippier's

Has anyone got a link to any articles offering a tactical breakdown of the second half? The way the players came out and the gameplay is fascinating from both sides point of view...

I've never thought he was as good as many seem to think on here. But in your photo above, there is only one pass. The cross field balls you need a moment to see them, step back and strike the ball. Time he didn't have. He went for the open pass, and it was intercepted. It wasn't great, but on here it is as though no one's ever seen that happen before. Lamela made a worse pass, but it didn't result in a goal so no knee jerk.

As I said, Poch should set the side up to contain for a couple of minutes until the break. Trippier had Sissoko supporting him all game, then suddenly he's got no options. @thfcsteff wants to heap all the blame on one guy for not playing it long to get to half time, when the manger, verts, etc are also part of the equation, its a team sport.

Trippier has become the new Sissoko?

First of all, as I said, I rarely coat a player. I like to give them chances. I have kept my counsel on Tripps this season, despite his having made a fair few mistakers, having got caught too many times this season and generally not playing well.

That being said, yes. You are correct. I do blame him for this specific situation. He is now one of our experienced players. Aa such, he should NOT be risking passes like that. He could've turned around and lumped it back to Lloris. He'd have been better off over-hitting a pass into a channel. But to play a square ball that high up when your only defender back there is Verts and your covering player just went off (bear in mind the adjustment to cover would have come at HT), and yes, I blame him. 100%. Because he was at fault.

"The new Sissoko"? Don't make me laugh. Not even close.
Seeing as we're here though, do explain to me what Pochettino could've done in that 5 minute spell, save screaming at the team not to let Trippps over the halfway line until HT??

Obviously that’s average positions, and with Sissoko dropping into trippiest place it’s going to look close.

I think the story was united started fast. Lots of running, closing down and then movement off the ball. They couldn’t keep that up, and we started to exert control as Kane scored an offside disallowed goal. Sissoko got injured and while we were reorganising and adapting we lost a goal. Second half united feared us, sat back and we snatched at our chances failing to find the corner of the goal.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Pah - Parachutes and Viva La Vida were damn good albums, and I'll fight anyone that suggests otherwise. :p

banhammer10982604.jpg

View attachment 5760

Tahsnit my photo or scribble by the way

Trippier took a bad call when he didnt need too and wasn’t under pressure

I don’t remember him making those mistakes before this season

The issue with him is that his main feature is his crossing but that isn’t enough now

Pass back to Hugo as well, basically do anything other than a high risk pass!

His always been meh of the defensive side, he’s a back up for games like Burnley at home.

I’m not sure I would even trust him with that anymore.

Should have flogged him in the summer

First of all, as I said, I rarely coat a player. I like to give them chances. I have kept my counsel on Tripps this season, despite his having made a fair few mistakers, having got caught too many times this season and generally not playing well.

That being said, yes. You are correct. I do blame him for this specific situation. He is now one of our experienced players. Aa such, he should NOT be risking passes like that. He could've turned around and lumped it back to Lloris. He'd have been better off over-hitting a pass into a channel. But to play a square ball that high up when your only defender back there is Verts and your covering player just went off (bear in mind the adjustment to cover would have come at HT), and yes, I blame him. 400%. Because he was at fault.

"The new Sissoko"? Don't make me laugh. Not even close.
Seeing as we're here though, do explain to me what Pochettino could've done in that 5 minute spell, save screaming at the team not to let Trippps over the halfway line until HT??

Trippier is just a stupid footballer, he switches off and has zero game management skills.

Bombing forward with tight leads, trying to nutmeg players in the box.

He makes Walker look like a genius

It’s time (actually months to late) for Serge or KWP to be given a proper go.

In Order:

- Winks and Dier started vs Madrid before Sissoko had to come and Dier replace Alderwiereld in the back 3
- Winks and Sissoko, and sometime Eriksen at Nou Camp. Barcelona played a semi-B team. When they played their A-team at Wembley we saw what happened. In fact, you cold argue the one goal they scored at the Nou Camp doesn't happen with our old cm axis..
- Dier and Sissoko. We played it perfectly that day; not sure we could say that on Tuesday when we could barely keep the ball and control posession. We won only on a penalty and dogged defensive work not because our cm controlled things.
- Dembele did indeed put in some worldies but from about March onwards you could see the physicality of our league start to catch up with him and he was starting to actually be dominated at times.

The grass is indeed not always greener, but as a club you give yourself the best chance by planning to push on and give yourselves more options to keep yourselves ahead of your competitors or try and reign some in who are ahead of you...obviously within reason.
I think it was within reason to give ourselves some cm options to slowly transition away from the Dembele-Wanyama axis that has been declining before our eyes.

And speaking of our cm options again here: we have now lost 6 games by early January. I'm not sure of the last time we've done that, perhaps Poch's first season? Ironically, when our (then porous) cm was similarly a cause for concern...

Don’t forget yet when we battered Chelsea they were unbeaten and jorginho was the messiah

And midweek they may have had loads of possession but their CMs offered nothing all game. Jorginho even kicked the ball out of play rather than pass it under pressure... and that was a game they were dominant in

Last edited:
Winks is very good but he's not world class, he may turn out to be but he's not there yet.

Dembele was awesome against Juve but that's one game. I'm talking about the entire season.

It's easy to cherry pick Dier's great passes but there have been many times where his passing has put us in trouble, just because they didn't lead to a goal doesn't mean they should be ignored.

Look, our CM's are all of a decent standard (and I include Sissoko in that) but none of them are world class or elite players. We have elite players in pretty much every other position; GK (Lloris), LB (Rose), CB (Toby and Verts), AM (Eriksen, Son and Alli), FW (Kane). It doesn't take a forensics expert to realise that RB and CM are the two weakest positions in the team.

Who is WC in Cm in the prem?

By the standards people are putting on our players I’d say Fernandinho and that’s about it

Then you've got the manager not getting the team setup right, or asking them to hold back a bit and the defensive line to drop off a touch until half time. You've got Trippier's intercepted pass. You've got verts not being fully match sharp and being out paced. You've got Lloris being beaten. And about 20 shots that didn't head a goal for us. To blame Tripper is easy, but its not the only factor.
I don’t agree Sissoko going off was the over riding factor. We created much more in the second half. The main factor was our poor finishing, we easily had enough chances to win the game....

There were obvious reasons though

- Lack of clinical finishing
- No game changer options on bench
- Poor game and huge individual error from Trippier

Don't agree re Sissoko, Sissoko was simply covering Trippier's bad game (if Trippier had played well, the impact would have been less significant)

I'm not spacegoating Trippier (even though I believe him/Davies should not be starters for us, neither are good enough consistently), just the error led to goal, goal allowed United to come out in second half and be under no pressure to push forward, keep their shape and make us force the pace of game. Ultimately you can go bad day at office or accept for whatever reason we are struggling against "our peers" with results, that is due to bench depth (Mata & Lukkaku were on their bench), weakness in certain positions (Winks, Sissoko, Davies, Trippier start in what other top 6 side?), poor tactics from Poch, just the summer lack of investment catching up … or some combination of all?

Thought we did very well once we sorted our selves out. Actually tacoted them for the best part of the game.

My only negative on the game apart from a very narrow loss was the injuries.
Nice goal from Rashford and De Gea had a good game but we were profligate in front of goal.

We finished the game by far the better team and I was very pleased with our endeavours.

Not a game for the ‘sexy’ folder.

Back