• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Oliver Skipp

He also said Skippy's performance was fantastic tonight, I know who's judgement and analysis I'd trust.

He definitely played well, the pass for Llorente was brilliant and wasn't the only quality forward pass he played either. Defensively he was pretty good too.

I do think that he isn't yet fast enough in possession. He was caught a few times by a very ponderous Tranmere side. And they weren't good enough to ever punish that, but Premier League sides do tend to punish midfielders who get caught in possession. So whilst he has made a very promising start to his Spurs career, I'm not gonna get carried away just yet.

And Poch tends to go over-board when praising up youngsters, which is fine, but it doesn't mean his praise is gospel. Edwards was a "little Messi" in Poch's eyes once upon a time. Poch is prone to a bit of hyperbole imo. Not necessarily a bad thing for building the confidence of young players though.

But yeah, all said and done, Skipp had a good game and looks promising.

He definitely played well, the pass for Llorente was brilliant and wasn't the only quality forward pass he played either. Defensively he was pretty good too.

I do think that he isn't yet fast enough in possession. He was caught a few times by a very ponderous Tranmere side. And they weren't good enough to ever punish that, but Premier League sides do tend to punish midfielders who get caught in possession. So whilst he has made a very promising start to his Spurs career, I'm not gonna get carried away just yet.

And Poch tends to go over-board when praising up youngsters, which is fine, but it doesn't mean his praise is gospel. Edwards was a "little Messi" in Poch's eyes once upon a time. Poch is prone to a bit of hyperbole imo. Not necessarily a bad thing for building the confidence of young players though.

But yeah, all said and done, Skipp had a good game and looks promising.

He covered the center of the pitch on his own, often against three or four players. He will have learnt a lot from today's game, that is what we should be focusing on.

All of these matches will be about learning for Skipp. He's only 18 in a position that often requires a lot of experience to play in.

I think we need to temper expectations with him. He is very young and learning. He will likely put in some stinkers while he is doing so. But we have to be patient with him and accept that it will all be part of his learning curve. I don't want people thinking great, he can slot in and save us on having to buy another cm. That's way too much pressure on a still very young player.

He's not done anything exceptional as such yet but also not looked too much out of place in teams with very expensive internationals.

I look forward to watching him grow and progress over the next few seasons.

Needs to be more positionally aware. Should ask Winks for tips. Good game yesterday.

Huh? I'd say this is one of Winks' biggest deficiencies. He's shocking defensively and regularly gets run beyond by men he should be tracking. He's often left scrambling to recover because he's gone walkabout.

Skippy and Winks should be asking Sissoko for tips on defensive positioning, based on this season's form.

Huh? I'd say this is one of Winks' biggest deficiencies. He's shocking defensively and regularly gets run beyond by men he should be tracking. He's often left scrambling to recover because he's gone walkabout.

Skippy and Winks should be asking Sissoko for tips on defensive positioning, based on this season's form.

I mean when he is with the ball.

I thought Winks and Skipp were slightly different central midfielders.

Skipp more naturally combative with an apparent eye for a pass from deep (similar to Carrick) so defensive midfielder/deep playmaker.

Whilst Winks likes to drive forward more, ala the Iniesta comparisons. I think we have seen less and less of this side of his game this season, due to the injuries to our orthodox defensive midfielders and him subsequently having to in part fill that role.

I could envisage them forming a nice partnership in central midfield.

Skipp/Dier partnered with Winks/new signing could be our quartet of central midfielders for years to come.

I mean when he is with the ball.

I'm confused.. So you mean he needs to be more aware of his team mates positions when passing?

If so I would also disagree with that, I think he's quite incisive and accurate, as far as passing goes?

He could be more expansive and take a few more risks perhaps, but that will come with more game time I'm sure.

Yes, agreed. We need to have 4 senior CMs, including Winks, and then Skipp is a 5th choice playing in domestic cups, covering for injuries/rotated players etc

We're not going to bring in two central midfielders in January, so we have the luxury of seeing how Skipp does in the second half of the season and make that decision in the summer. Personally, I'd be against having four players in front of him because he won't get any game time.

I'm confused.. So you mean he needs to be more aware of his team mates positions when passing?

If so I would also disagree with that, I think he's quite incisive and accurate, as far as passing goes?

He could be more expansive and take a few more risks perhaps, but that will come with more game time I'm sure.

Pardon me. The term is situational awareness not positional awareness. He got caught on the ball a few times.

** back to sleep

We're not going to bring in two central midfielders in January, so we have the luxury of seeing how Skipp does in the second half of the season and make that decision in the summer. Personally, I'd be against having four players in front of him because he won't get any game time.

THIIIIIIIISS! A thousand times.

Two assists yesterday.

I take it he meant when receiving possession Skippy can seem unaware spatially of surrounding opponents meaning he can too easily be dispossessed.

Thought he was good last night With out going overboard

He was as meh in the first half as anyone else but stepped it up in the second

I like to use Tom Carroll as a marker for our midfielders coming through and he looks to have way more tools than him already.

Back