• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Oliver Skipp

Smart move from Poch to give him his full debut in this game. Burnley were only ever going to sit back, which meant Skipp (mostly) had a lot of time on the ball and could get into the swing of things without too much pressure. It was a pretty solid game from the young man, i'd be interesting if he came off the bench for some more minutes in the midweek game against the goons.

Smart move from Poch to give him his full debut in this game. Burnley were only ever going to sit back, which meant Skipp (mostly) had a lot of time on the ball and could get into the swing of things without too much pressure. It was a pretty solid game from the young man, i'd be interesting if he came off the bench for some more minutes in the midweek game against the goons.
Agreed
He did well, kept it simple and was fine

I made sure to watch him most of the game. As others have said he kept it simple. I did notice that a lot of his passing feels a tad underweight. Like it just gets to the player he is passing to. Accurate passing but I would like to see him crisp it up speed wise a bit more. He is like a clone of Winks in many ways. I did notice he was not afraid to get in on some tackles and he had a couple of nice forward passes.

A nice steady promising start. For an 18 year old.

I made sure to watch him most of the game. As others have said he kept it simple. I did notice that a lot of his passing feels a tad underweight. Like it just gets to the player he is passing to. Accurate passing but I would like to see him crisp it up speed wise a bit more. He is like a clone of Winks in many ways. I did notice he was not afraid to get in on some tackles and he had a couple of nice forward passes.

A nice steady promising start. For an 18 year old.

I wouldn't read too much into that, it was tough conditions to pass in and on a brick pitch.

I thought he did well. Moved the ball quickly when he had it, made at least one very good tackle, a couple of interceptions and generally held his own. He also dropped back between Toby and Davies when Rose and Trippier had pushed forward and looked comfortable.
Nothing spectacular (but then spectacular was not the expectation), he didn’t have too much to deal with and as others have said, mainly kept things simple when he did.
He certainly didn’t do his prospects any harm.

Looks a bit short on elegance to me, yes I know that's nitpicky and not the most important. But just a lot of arms and legs moving around in ways we usually don't see at this level. Hopefully that will improve over time.

Mostly kept things tidy and rightly so. But some more expansive passing at times. Got stuck in defensively, not afraid of a challenge and didn't look out of place mostly anchoring the midfield at 18 years old in the PL. That's impressive.

Looking forward to seeing more of him. Shows that Pochettino shouldn't be afraid to give him some game time. Will be interesting to see if and how he's used off the bench.

https://www.football.london/tottenh...pochettino-told-oliver-skipp-burnley-15557405

Pochettino explained exactly what he thought of the teenager's performance and how highly he rates him.

"Fantastic, fantastic, I think he played like a 30-year-old man. So relaxed, trying to play forward and trying to give the team what the team needs, plenty of energy, full energy, I am so proud of him," "I think everyone is proud of him. He is only 18-years-old and I think it was fantastic. Now I think it is going to be easy for him because always the debut you are nervous. I remember when it was my first game and I said to him 'you look so relaxed. When I was 17, going to play I was so nervous'. I said 'that is the difference between a player going to be a top player and a player who was going to be normal player like me'."

He added: "He in the last few months, of course in the USA in pre season he shows that he can cope with the pressure to play in the first team and it was only about time and the possibility to give the opportunity.

"We are so happy. I want to congratulate the people in the academy, John [McDermott, academy head], Dean [Rastrick, academy manager] and the coaches and staff who work in education.

"I think to build his career with him and to help him to build his career is fantastic. The work they are doing is amazing and we need to profit from this work to provide the team that energy and quality player because he is a very good kid, a very good person and it is a fantastic thing for Tottenham."

Great praise from Poch. He obviously highly rates Skipp. Let's hope he does get more opportunities. FA Cup 3rd round seems like a shoe-in to start.

It's more than a little amusing that our academy seems to be an endless production line of identical, slight, technically gifted, tenacious central midfielders.

And all of them have names straight out of dingdongensian novels. Tom Carroll, Harry Winks, Ryan Mason and now Oliver Skipp...every one of them would fit in a London workhouse, begging Mr.Bumble for gruel. :)

Come to think of it, their contract negotiations with Levy will probably go much the same. :p

It's more than a little amusing that our academy seems to be an endless production line of identical, slight, technically gifted, tenacious central midfielders.

And all of them have names straight out of dingdongensian novels. Tom Carroll, Harry Winks, Ryan Mason and now Oliver Skipp...every one of them would fit in a London workhouse, begging Mr.Bumble for gruel. :p

Not another Levy dig? :D

I'm not sure if it is by accident or design but he has probably benefitted from being on the bench for a month or so before making his debut. It gets him into the first team and settled before making that step up.

Back