• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

I think she'll survive this as no realistic candidate wants to take the job now.

Jarvid and Hunt will hopefully both step forward when May is defeated (remembering Heseltine's Laws). Both have solid enough leave credentials but aren't Brexiteers, so could be unifying figures. They are also the grown-ups compared to the rest of the field

I'd like to see Mordant in the running too - a female who isn't May's protege (Rudd)

The good news is that pretty much anyone will be more socially liberal than puritan May

Mordaunt would be a good choice but there are a couple of problems:

1) It's very, very early in her career for that kind of thing
2) Whilst Portsmouth North is slowly being gentrified, it's far from a safe seat - it's probably another 10 years before it becomes one
Presumably they would just move her to a safer seat for the next GE.

But yes I agree it is early. And I suspect the old guard will also not want another woman for a while.

Javid I had forgotten about.
He would be a smart political choice. For the Tories it looks "diverse". People will be reluctant/careful with criticism for fear of being branded racist and when something uncomfortable happens, the race smokescreen Will be useful spin.
Also a useful statement, with Khan as major of London.

He also politically disposable in the future

(And I want to see Trumps reaction!)

For me the key thing is that there isn't time for a full blown leadership contest now. They need to have a condensed process into a day or two for an interim leader, then get the membership to vote/ratify it in April.

For me the key thing is that there isn't time for a full blown leadership contest now. They need to have a condensed process into a day or two for an interim leader, then get the membership to vote/ratify it in April.
A50 revoked - only way to fit it in.

Lets start this merry-go-round again.

Seems like the best way to do it to me - basically write off 21 months of bricky tory brexit.

The problem is that the proposed Labour's version is actually more neo-liberal than the Tory version, because of their stronger commitment to the customs union.

I just hope a FTA + max-fac candidate wins out (who isn't Johnson). The divorce bill and citizens rights stuff seems ok to virtually anyone, so shouldn't need to be revisited.

I think in reality the EU won't allow an A50 extension beyond May 2019, as otherwise it screws the European Parliament elections.

The problem is that the proposed Labour's version is actually more neo-liberal than the Tory version, because of their stronger commitment to the customs union.

This is not true, the tory version may be less or more neo liberal depending on how we proceed going forwards. There is more freedom on how we proceed and with the tories in charge I would bet it is more Neo liberal than remaining in the EU.

What I can say for certain is the statement Labour Brexit is more Neo liberal than Tory Brexit is 100% not true.

I think in reality the EU won't allow an A50 extension beyond May 2019, as otherwise it screws the European Parliament elections.

We were talking about revoking A50 not extending it, the EU (including us) has no say on if we do this and not enact it again beyond May 2019. They would have to pass another treaty to stop this and we would have to agree as we would still be a part of the EU.

There is a 'consensus' Theresa May will win the vote

BBC political correspondent Ben Wright says the consensus among Conservative MPs is that Theresa May will win the vote this evening.

"Everyone is asking themselves how comfortably will she win it," he says.

"The question then is what does it change?

"The challenges would remain the same. Parliament is still completely opposed to her deal.

"The atmosphere in the Conservative party is poisonous - today's vote is not going to solve that."

"At a meeting of the 1922 Committee before the vote, we expect the prime minister to be pretty explicit that she doesn't have any intention to fight another election.

"That is a tactic No 10 is deploying to win over waverers."

Conservative MP Sir Bernard Jenkin says he will "reluctantly and with a heavy heart" be voting against the prime minister.

He says he wrote his letter to Sir Graham Brady yesterday, after realising that the PM “no longer commands the respect of the Commons".

"We need a new leader who is enthusiastic about Brexit instead of regarding it as a damage limitation exercise," he says.

But if Theresa May were to win, “the problems are still there in the House of Commons”, he says.

“All the MPs could 100% vote for her tonight, and she still hasn’t got a majority in the House of Commons” he says, suggesting that her win could actually bring forward a vote of no confidence in the government.

Responding to Philip Hammond's "extremist" comment, Sir Bernard says it is "odd" to be described as an extremist when 52% of the population voted to leave the EU.

"It's an Orwellian world we are living in," he says.

So if she wins tonight, itll be a vote of no confidence int he government next?

EU: Backstop is 'last resort'

The European Parliament has issued a statement after a conference of presidents, as it appears to want to reassure the UK Parliament about the Brexit deal.

It says that renegotiating the backstop is "not possible" as "it is the guarantee that in whatever circumstances there could be no hardening of the border on the island of Ireland".

But it adds it does not want to activate the backstop either.

"The conference reiterated its support for as close as possible future EU-UK relationship such that the deployment of the backstop would not be necessary," it says.

"The president and group leaders reaffirmed that the backstop is in any case to be used only as a measure of last resort."

The European Parliament has issued a statement after a conference of presidents, as it appears to want to reassure the UK Parliament about the Brexit deal.

It says that renegotiating the backstop is "not possible" as "it is the guarantee that in whatever circumstances there could be no hardening of the border on the island of Ireland".

"The conference reiterated its support for as close as possible future EU-UK relationship such that the deployment of the backstop would not be necessary," it says.

"The president and group leaders reaffirmed that the backstop is in any case to be used only as a measure of last resort."
Oh, that's OK then. Go on dear, drink the roofie soup. I promise not to put anything in you......

They're taking the tinkle, surely?

This is not true, the tory version may be less or more neo liberal depending on how we proceed going forwards. There is more freedom on how we proceed and with the tories in charge I would bet it is more Neo liberal than remaining in the EU.

What I can say for certain is the statement Labour Brexit is more Neo liberal than Tory Brexit is 400% not true.

The (Canada) Tory version gives more freedom is the key.

Labour's ties us into neo-liberalism indefinitely, whereas the Canada Tory one actually allows for us to vote in an Attlee/Keynesian manifesto in 2022.

I think that's part of the reason Corbyn is being careful not to blow the doors off

The (Canada) Tory version gives more freedom is the key.

Labour's ties us into neo-liberalism indefinitely, whereas the Canada Tory one actually allows for us to vote in an Attlee/Keynesian manifesto in 2022.

I think that's part of the reason Corbyn is being careful not to blow the doors off
Yes so the Tory option with a Tory government is likely to be more neo-liberal, Labour come in they are likely to try and renegotiate it anyway to a Norway model.

It allows us to vote in a Keynesian manifesto which in the last election was probably most like the Green party, it is very unlikely going towards no chance, this country is not where you (nor I ) want it to be.

Back