• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

A better solution is to get rid of elections and have parliaments determined by a lottery (like a jury service type thing). The minute you make rules, they get abused by the powerful. No parties, just governance.
That would just exacerbate the problem with stupid people having a say in politics.

This would make a huge amount of sense for the upper house.
My understanding is that the Lords was supposed to be made up of people so wealthy that nothing the government did could have much of an effect on them - therefore they were free to vote on principle, and regularly did.

Until, of course, Tony Blair started giving them away to anyone who cooked him a warm dinner.

My hope is that May wins her confidence vote and the Tory party splits and destroys itself.

giphy.gif

If she wins the vote tonight then she is immune for another year right? What will Boris and friends do for the next 12 months?

Slightly ammeded your original post ;)
:D
As brick as Boris is, as long as anyone taking over refuses to back a deal like May's and instead offers something like Norway vs No deal then it will be an improvement. May has spent months telling us that no deal is better than a bad deal (and she's right) but is now trying to get everyone to vote for a bad deal.

I really don't think there are nearly enough MPs to back Boris. In fact, I think he'd crash out in the first round. He's got an fantastic rating with the public, Conservative members seem to hold him in high regard, but Conservative MPs do not like him at all.

As brick as Boris is, as long as anyone taking over refuses to back a deal like May's and instead offers something like Norway vs No deal then it will be an improvement. May has spent months telling us that no deal is better than a bad deal (and she's right) but is now trying to get everyone to vote for a bad deal.

I really don't think there are nearly enough MPs to back Boris. In fact, I think he'd crash out in the first round. He's got an fantastic rating with the public, Conservative members seem to hold him in high regard, but Conservative MPs do not like him at all.
I agree. My money would be....vomit.....on Hunt. Possibly Mourdant.

Is there any suggestion as to which way the vote might go? Surely if she wasn't confident enough of getting the votes then she might already have decided to resign

The problem is any deal is a "bad deal". That's the crux of it. We can't order the deal we want, it won't be given to us by the EU. We want the benifits of being a memeber while out the club. Any deal is going to be suboptimal. Therein lies the problem. May put freedom of movement at the fore, and she got that, because she believed that immigration concern was a core part of the vote. We can't get sovrignity, control of FOM, free trade, and be outside the EU. That realisation has to dawn on Brexiteers.

The whole thing is my favourite buttplug, there is no mythical deal, the sooner its cancelled the quicker the country can move forward.

Even if you are no longer back the PM would you have to know who you would vote for next at this point?

That sounds too sensible, I'm sure some just want her out at this point, without even planning what's next

Follows the whole Brexit strategy, doesnt it? Dont plan ahead, just combust and conceed every now and then.

Seems to me the Tories are divided, between remain, soft exit, hard exit... Who knows which faction really has enough to get their preferred candidate through? Or even if May will lose the vote - as opposed to winning and being bullet proof for a year?

Normally there are obvious candidates in these events, I just dont see it this time.

Is there any suggestion as to which way the vote might go? Surely if she wasn't confident enough of getting the votes then she might already have decided to resign
I suspect the fact that the 48 came in so slowly gives her a solid footing.

That said, the vote is anonymous and so they'll be bolder than with a public letter.

The problem is any deal is a "bad deal". That's the crux of it. We can't order the deal we want, it won't be given to us by the EU. We want the benifits of being a memeber while out the club. Any deal is going to be suboptimal. Therein lies the problem. May put freedom of movement at the fore, and she got that, because she believed that immigration concern was a core part of the vote. We can't get sovrignity, control of FOM, free trade, and be outside the EU. That realisation has to dawn on Brexiteers.

The whole thing is my favourite buttplug, there is no mythical deal, the sooner its cancelled the quicker the country can move forward.
I've laid out where good deals can be had and even how no deal can be a success. You've ignored that repeatedly, so I'm not going to continue to discuss it.

I agree. My money would be....vomit.....on Hunt. Possibly Mourdant.
Mordaunt would be a good choice but there are a couple of problems:

1) It's very, very early in her career for that kind of thing
2) Whilst Portsmouth North is slowly being gentrified, it's far from a safe seat - it's probably another 10 years before it becomes one

Back