• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

Fair enough mate, still think you're selling him short as to what he offers but its pointless going back and forth. I dont think Sissoko will be going anywhere for a while either way....

Nor should he. He has been a valuable member of our team recently not just a squad player. Watch the Wolves game again. Watch Sissoko run with the ball deep into the opposition half when we were under the cosh. Yes he eventually loses the ball but it is so high up the pitch when he does it had already relieved the pressure from around our box. I bet his team mates and manager loved him after that game.

Watch him double up on Traore as he has done in the past against Zaha to negate their threat. Watch some of his flicks Vs Palace or when he plucked the ball from the air and played in Lamela in one move. Watch his delicious assist for Lamela against the spammers. He is ungainly, at times he appears to lack belief in himself, he has a very annoying habit of pointing towards where a ball should go, but he can also show very good technique and he provides defensive assistance on both sides of the pitch.

Poch is bringing out the player that is in there through good coaching. Sissoko must be doing something right, as Poch is still playing him, (we know that Poch has no truck with players not pulling their weight or who do not meet his high standards) and our results have been good. We even played well against City with him in the squad.

IMO he has earned his place in our squad following recent performances. I would be surprised and disappointed if he was moved on in January. On top of that despite the dogs own abuse he gets from his own so called fans he does not criticise the club.

There is a snobbery on this board towards ball carrying players like Dembele and Sissoko. Perhaps that comes from our history of great playmakers such as Hoddle, Modric, Ardiles. Some posters forget though that when we were successful for every playmaker we also had to combine with less glamorous ball winning and carrying players who played it simple for the playmakers. A midfield needs to have the right combination of silk and steel. If the balance is wrong on either, you get the Spurs teams of the late 90s and early noughties.

Last edited:
Nor should he. He has been a valuable member of our team recently not just a squad player. Watch the Wolves game again. Watch Sissoko run with the ball deep into the opposition half when we were under the cosh. Yes he eventually loses the ball but it is so high up the pitch when he does it had already relieved the pressure from around our box. I bet his team mates and manager loved him after that game.

Watch him double up on Traore as he has done in the past against Zaha to negate their threat. Watch some of his flicks Vs Palace or when he plucked the ball from the air and played in Lamela in one move. Watch his delicious assist for Lamela against the spammers. He is ungainly, at times he appears to lack belief in himself, he has a very annoying habit of pointing towards where a ball should go, but he can also show very good technique and he provides defensive assistance on both sides of the pitch.

Poch is bringing out the player that is in there through good coaching. Sissoko must be doing something right, as Poch is still playing him, (we know that Poch has no truck with players not pulling their weight or who do not meet his high standards) and our results have been good. We even played well against City with him in the squad.

IMO he has earned his place in our squad following recent performances. I would be surprised and disappointed if he was moved on in January. On top of that despite the dogs own abuse he gets from his own so called fans he does not criticise the club.

There is a snobbery on this board towards ball carrying players like Dembele and Sissoko. Perhaps that comes from our history of great playmakers such as Hoddle, Modric, Ardiles. Some posters forget though that when we were successful for every playmaker we also had to combine with less glamorous ball winning and carrying players who played it simple for the playmakers. A midfield needs to have the right combination of silk and steel. If the balance is wrong on either, you get the Spurs teams of the late 90s and early noughties.
Agree mate, have always said he does a lot of the ugly work. He has earnt his place in the squad, and right now arguably in the team. Its not like any of our other CMs have exactly been dominating the CM and making the position their own....

I absolutely dispute he is in any way an attacking player. Charging up the field with the ball doesnt make a player attacking. Doing something with it when he gets there is what would make someone attacking. A shot on target, an assist, a cross, a key pass - all things even the most ardent Sissoko fan wouldnt dream of claiming he is any good at.

And Im pretty sure it is you who told me he couldnt do the sitting job just the other day! Though I disagreed with you then, I think thats what he is best suited to. I just wish thats how they would play him more.

You have done a fine job of convincing yourself of your infallible logic, but it is simply not something I buy into. We have done this before, Sissoko has been played almost exclusively as a least-worst option, not as a preference. As a "I suppose that will do". Not as key part in a finely tuned machine. And as such, he can be quite poor while the team does well around him. Its something that can happen for any player, and if you look around Im sure youll see plenty of examples.

And right up to this season he has been a fudging liability. Now he has stepped up to being somewhere about average, mostly by virtue of cutting out the brainfarts rather than improving his game.

It amuses me you take such offence to his being a 6. And it really just reinforces my belief you have completely brainwashed yourself on the player, and are absolutely - positively - using special criteria by which to judge him.

I dont give a fudge about how other people run their scales, I detailed mine above - read it and see if its unfair in context. Ill give you a clue, its not.

Just as youll try and paint me as having an agenda, or being irrational, or unable to back down from some perceived entrenchment - but again, its not. I have qualified all my thoughts on him, and strangely nobody has really tried to pick that apart. Ill assume because its basically fair.

I don't think you have an agenda (and I think that's a needlessly inflammatory comment because I've never said that), just that I think you're being harsh in your assessment of him. I think the 'glass half empty' description is absolutely right. It's about perception and you could choose to give him more props if you wanted to, and you don't, which is fine.

Also saying I've 'completely brainwashed myself on the player' is also some attempt to make me look delusional when nothing I have said is in any way outrageous. That's needless too. To say only this season is one where he hasn't been a 'complete liability' is just nonsense. It doesn't matter whether he played last year because of injuries to Dembele or Winks or not, he still played and if the margins were small and he was a complete liability, we wouldn't have gotten the points that we did.

I tried to pick up on some of your specific criticisms of Sissoko last season - admittedly with some lengthy posts - which boiled down to trying to show actual examples of players that are good at some of the off the ball defensive work, the shape, the awareness of danger, and again you called me delusional and crazy.

It shouldn't need to be said, but I'm not. I've never said that last season Sissoko was anything more than a 7 and most often a 6. This season, he's doing better in possession and ending matches as quite fairly one of our best players on the pitch. These are not outrageous statements. This is not using special criteria. This is fairly reflecting what is happening on the pitch. It's still subjective and you can still choose to rate him however which way you like, I just think it's harsh.

So, so true. Particularly the last line. Jenas used to get ridiculous abuse. Not on the same level as Sissoko, but Spurs fans never really 'got' him.

Spurs fans are weird. We can offer endless support to players that are clearly struggling and clearly not helping us get results, and we can make laughing stocks out of players that are part of a successful side. Spurs fans definitely respond worse to box-to-box midfielders probably compared to any other player type. Zokora got more support than Sissoko has ever gotten. But he did a funny dance and was more obviously a DM, and cost less money, so the groundswell never went totally against him. On a slightly different but related tangent, Ben Davies tends to be really under rated by his own fans despite being a consistent starter in our most consistent team for decades. Despite having great stats, he just looks a bit average, and doesn't have obvious qualities that are easy for the fan base to relate to. Our full backs are supposed to be quick and physical, they aren't supposed to be thinkers. And our midfielders are supposed to be great passers, they aren't supposed to be physical. Unless they are DMs, in which case it's fine.

Sissoko got a triple whammy - he is a physical box to box player, and doesn't glide like the players we have seen, he is more brute force. He also cost a lot of money, and Saudi Sportswashing Machine fans didn't really like him. He also had a terrible start. So I still see comments saying 'I don't care if he's playing well now, he's going to have to do a lot more to justify the money we paid', but it really has nothing to do with whether he is being effective for us right now, or whether or not he is just as deserving of our support as anyone else in the squad.

I do wonder - do people think that now he has gotten some unironic chanting from the fans and is being recognised for what he can do - is that going to help or hinder his performances going forward?

That was a great assist, but it was more the exception than the rule. One swallow and that...

And its not being snippy, its simply defending a position Ive come under fire for.

Glass half empty? I dont think so, rather just realistic. I think there are plenty getting pretty carried away with just how much he has actually improved IMO.

When he played before he worked hard, had limited passing, made runs that amounted to little, did some good defensive work and.... regularly fudged it up. Passes off the pitch/to the oppo/shanking the ball all over the place/tackling himself... He did a basic job and then had brainfarts.

If I were to describe him now? Well basically he works hard, has limited passing, makes runs that amount to little, does some good defensive work. Spot the difference...

I think that whilst some of (us) might be over-cooking the egg with regards to his "renaissance" you might be doing him a disservice with the "makes runs that amount to little"...scarily enough, over the last few games he has outperformed the likes of Sonny (who as I said earlier gets a pass from me due to dealing with the sort of pressure that would crush most of our brains!). Anyway, we agree to partially disagree (and partially agree!!!)...

Great post.

I don't think you have an agenda (and I think that's a needlessly inflammatory comment because I've never said that), just that I think you're being harsh in your assessment of him. I think the 'glass half empty' description is absolutely right. It's about perception and you could choose to give him more props if you wanted to, and you don't, which is fine.

Also saying I've 'completely brainwashed myself on the player' is also some attempt to make me look delusional when nothing I have said is in any way outrageous. That's needless too. To say only this season is one where he hasn't been a 'complete liability' is just nonsense. It doesn't matter whether he played last year because of injuries to Dembele or Winks or not, he still played and if the margins were small and he was a complete liability, we wouldn't have gotten the points that we did.

I tried to pick up on some of your specific criticisms of Sissoko last season - admittedly with some lengthy posts - which boiled down to trying to show actual examples of players that are good at some of the off the ball defensive work, the shape, the awareness of danger, and again you called me delusional and crazy.

It shouldn't need to be said, but I'm not. I've never said that last season Sissoko was anything more than a 7 and most often a 6. This season, he's doing better in possession and ending matches as quite fairly one of our best players on the pitch. These are not outrageous statements. This is not using special criteria. This is fairly reflecting what is happening on the pitch. It's still subjective and you can still choose to rate him however which way you like, I just think it's harsh.

Youve repeated things as mantra until they sound like truth, even when they are not. Taken a single good action or result as proof of something, when it is not. Youve been pushing his performances as way beyond reality for a very long time, if not delusional then you choose the word - but you most certainly have built a whole agenda at defending him at any cost.

While also painting any naysayers as the similarly driven by ego or agenda. Far from completely reasoned yourself.

The off the ball stuff, frankly, I find offensive. The argument effectively being "well he does this really good stuff that you just cant see or pick up on".

I can, I have, and Ive given credit where its due. And you and I had a conversation in particular, in this thread, about how we have each always shared an appreciation for understated players that do the simple things well (such as Jenas).

For you to then try and throw that one at me? What do you expect?

"Oh Yes! BoL you are so right! Despite being someone who has had detailed conversations with you on this very subject - I just needed to be patronised to see the truth!"

I very simply havent seen him as a stand out player. Useful? Yes. Hard working? Yes. Actually particularly good? No.

People keep mentioning him running the ball to nowhere late against Wolves as having value, and so demonstrative of a good game. At that moment, yes, it was useful. However, he was doing exactly the same all through the game, and when he arrived at nowhere, and did nothing with it, was that useful? No. So how is it, this trait that was handy literally just for the dying minutes of the game suddenly indicative of a good performance?

Against Palace, yes, his passing was much improved. He put a few balls around that really caught the eye - they were unexpected from him. However, it was literally 2 or 3 passes. All his other passes, even those that found their target, were not good. They were not forward, they were not into the spaces, they were not furthering our game. So yes, improved passing. Good passing? Not for me.

And herein lays the real catch. It seems to me that people are really rather easily impressed, and I honestly think it is just because he was so poor before. Whether consciously or not, I am sure people are using that very low bar as a baseline when looking at him.

Someone argued before that had Winks played the same game he wouldnt be getting so much stick (what stick? honestly?).

He most certainly would. And you can flip it very easily. Had Dier played the same game would you have called him a stand out? I think not.

But Sissoko? "Stand out player" "A 6 is being really harsh".

I would also say, and I think I have - against Wolves Sissokos movement was attrocious. He left us and Winks exposed countless times, and while people were enjoying his running, it seems they were missing the problems he was creating.

Against Palace he was exactly the same, but Wanyama did an excellent job in covering for him and keeping things somewhat secure. I thought Wanyama did some excellent work - primarily because of Sissokos poor movement. Post game, Sissoko is a stand out player and all comment on Wanyama is how poor he was and how he wasnt his old self. Now THATS harsh.

images

Youve repeated things as mantra until they sound like truth, even when they are not. Taken a single good action or result as proof of something, when it is not. Youve been pushing his performances as way beyond reality for a very long time, if not delusional then you choose the word - but you most certainly have built a whole agenda at defending him at any cost.

While also painting any naysayers as the similarly driven by ego or agenda. Far from completely reasoned yourself.

The off the ball stuff, frankly, I find offensive. The argument effectively being "well he does this really good stuff that you just cant see or pick up on".

I can, I have, and Ive given credit where its due. And you and I had a conversation in particular, in this thread, about how we have each always shared an appreciation for understated players that do the simple things well (such as Jenas).

For you to then try and throw that one at me? What do you expect?

"Oh Yes! BoL you are so right! Despite being someone who has had detailed conversations with you on this very subject - I just needed to be patronised to see the truth!"

I very simply havent seen him as a stand out player. Useful? Yes. Hard working? Yes. Actually particularly good? No.

People keep mentioning him running the ball to nowhere late against Wolves as having value, and so demonstrative of a good game. At that moment, yes, it was useful. However, he was doing exactly the same all through the game, and when he arrived at nowhere, and did nothing with it, was that useful? No. So how is it, this trait that was handy literally just for the dying minutes of the game suddenly indicative of a good performance?

Against Palace, yes, his passing was much improved. He put a few balls around that really caught the eye - they were unexpected from him. However, it was literally 2 or 3 passes. All his other passes, even those that found their target, were not good. They were not forward, they were not into the spaces, they were not furthering our game. So yes, improved passing. Good passing? Not for me.

And herein lays the real catch. It seems to me that people are really rather easily impressed, and I honestly think it is just because he was so poor before. Whether consciously or not, I am sure people are using that very low bar as a baseline when looking at him.

Someone argued before that had Winks played the same game he wouldnt be getting so much stick (what stick? honestly?).

He most certainly would. And you can flip it very easily. Had Dier played the same game would you have called him a stand out? I think not.

But Sissoko? "Stand out player" "A 6 is being really harsh".

I would also say, and I think I have - against Wolves Sissokos movement was attrocious. He left us and Winks exposed countless times, and while people were enjoying his running, it seems they were missing the problems he was creating.

Against Palace he was exactly the same, but Wanyama did an excellent job in covering for him and keeping things somewhat secure. I thought Wanyama did some excellent work - primarily because of Sissokos poor movement. Post game, Sissoko is a stand out player and all comment on Wanyama is how poor he was and how he wasnt his old self. Now THATS harsh.

‘Repeated things as mantra’, ‘agenda’, ‘ego’, ‘delusional’, ‘way beyond reality’, it’s all just very over dramatic stuff when I’ve done nothing of the sort, beyond say a player was not a complete liability last season and one of our better performers this. Really man, you’re seeing something that I’m just not doing.

The reply to Robspur wasn’t even aimed at you personally, it was about the general groundswell of opinion that Spurs fans have historically given positively to certain players and negatively to others. I think for you personally, you are just being overly harsh on a player and have dug in hard on one side to the point where you will give more weighting to the negative things he does than the positive - when all players do a mix of good and bad things in every game. But my point in response to Robspur is about our fan base in general, how we tend to pick at certain players and not others. It isn’t about you - I know full well we have discussed Jenas before so I wasn’t aiming that at you, but it is true that the fan base in general didn’t ‘get him’. Soldado on the other hand got endless support, in a way Llorente does not for example. But what I was trying to say is that I find it notable that factors like position, characteristics, transfer fee, perceived personality etc effect how much support we give them, rather than just ‘they are all Spurs players, so let’s support them because that will be the most likely way they will play better’.

That is nothing to do with you specifically, I just think you are being overly harsh on Sissoko.

To be clear, when I’m talking about a 6 being harsh, I am specifically referring to the Palace game, not the Wolves game. I don’t have a strong opinion on Wanyama’s performance either way - I think he does not look like his old self but I think he was improved for the most part against Wolves. But attributing a load of Wanyama’s work as ‘excellent’ and covering for Sissoko’s ‘poor movement’, how exactly are you assessing this? It’s jusr an example of being overly harsh on one player and not another.

I havent actually read your response to Robspur, so Ive no idea what you are talking about.

Wanyama sat deep and covered all the gaps Sissoko left. I assess that with my own eyes. I said, to quote, "Wanyama did some excellent work", and yet you read it as "attributing a load of Wanyama’s work as ‘excellent’". And yet - its me who likes to give more weighting to things that suit my argument?

You are clearly adding context to what you read, not reading what is there. As you have been. You have been doing the very thing you accuse me of, ignoring the bits that I dont like and exaggerating the things that suit me.

This all started with Sissoko, justifiably, getting stick for being terrible and you taking exception to it and making it your cause to defend him at all costs.

And its still going now. From where I sit, Ive stayed true to the fact Ive assessed him as Ive seen him. Ive admitted when he has done things well, hardly a difficulty, and Ive explained where I think he has done things badly.

Ive said, even today, how he is much improved.

But its not enough, is it? Im supposed to lie, and say how he has been so good - when he just hasnt. Much better, yes. Actually particularly good? No.

Its funny how you are berating me for being overly harsh when I said I think he is a 6 (which I completely do), but if I had said 7 youd probably be pulling more of an "I told you so" attitude.

I havent actually read your response to Robspur, so Ive no idea what you are talking about.

Wanyama sat deep and covered all the gaps Sissoko left. I assess that with my own eyes. I said, to quote, "Wanyama did some excellent work", and yet you read it as "attributing a load of Wanyama’s work as ‘excellent’". And yet - its me who likes to give more weighting to things that suit my argument?

You are clearly adding context to what you read, not reading what is there. As you have been. You have been doing the very thing you accuse me of, ignoring the bits that I dont like and exaggerating the things that suit me.

This all started with Sissoko, justifiably, getting stick for being terrible and you taking exception to it and making it your cause to defend him at all costs.

And its still going now. From where I sit, Ive stayed true to the fact Ive assessed him as Ive seen him. Ive admitted when he has done things well, hardly a difficulty, and Ive explained where I think he has done things badly.

Ive said, even today, how he is much improved.

But its not enough, is it? Im supposed to lie, and say how he has been so good - when he just hasnt. Much better, yes. Actually particularly good? No.

Its funny how you are berating me for being overly harsh when I said I think he is a 6 (which I completely do), but if I had said 7 youd probably be pulling more of an "I told you so" attitude.

It's just interesting that you mention Jenas when I bring that name up in response to Robspur...maybe a total coincidence.

Are we really arguing about the words 'load of' versus 'some'? There is no sinister use of words here to apply context where there is none.

Yes, you've assessed him as you see fit. I just think it's harsh. I defended Sissoko when he was being spoken of as terrible when I didn't think he was last season, where you called him a complete liability. Yes these things happened.

I was just doing what I thought was a decent service to stick up for a player I thought was getting unjustified stick, thinking maybe it would help in some small way to actually get some support behind a player who would clearly be better with confidence. It turns out, the vibe has turned for the most part anyway because he's been getting a consistent run and has improved again, and the idea that an argument on a forum would change anyone's mind looks, in hindsight, to be absolutely laughable.

I maintain that I think you are assessing him harshly, and I'm going to continue to marvel at the fact that you can throw words like 'delusional', 'ego', 'mantra', 'agenda' at me when all I have said is: terrible start and not back in to the team, average squad player in his second season with us (but played his part in some of our biggest wins) and never more than a 7, mostly a 6, and then improved further this year to the point where he has often been one of our best players. I do take issue with the fact he has been 'terrible', and a 'complete liability' until only this season - but you can continue to think that. I'd rather not have strange words thrown at me like this is some sort of gaslighting exercise, so I'll leave it there.

Definitely international week....isn't it ;)
These two have been at it in this thread all year,doesn’t matter what day of the week it is! On the one hand it’s a great read from two thoughtful posters and I can get the popcorn out and watch the drama unfold, on the other hand I want to bash their heads together and order them to call it a draw:D

These two have been at it in this thread all year,doesn’t matter what day of the week it is! On the one hand it’s a great read from two thoughtful posters and I can get the popcorn out and watch the drama unfold, on the other hand I want to bash their heads together and order them to call it a draw:D
Agreed. The irony being that Sissoko really isn't worth all that effort. The upside is that Nayim50 typing out a million words on the subject, saves me the bother.

Back