• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gooner friends?

As seems to be the running theme from many of the posts, it's mates over the team every time.

I have a very tight knit group of about a dozen lifelong mates, all of us passionate about our teams.
The ratio is 2 Tottenham, 1 Liverpool, 6 Chelsea, 2 Palace, 1 QPR. We're West London based.
The banter gets hefty and often offensive as we all passionately defend our clubs, but never to the point where we'd fall out over it or get into major bust ups (just not the 'bloke' way is it!?)

Some of the best matches each season are those served against your close friends' teams I find. They're the ones i look forward to the most, win or lose. I've endured years of it from the Chelsea mob during the 90s. They're now starting to get some of their own medicine and hate me for it.

The odd thing is how i can separate my mates from the typical hatred I have for their clubs fans! I loathe Liverpool fans more and more each season it seems, though my Liverpool mate doesn't fall into the typical bindipper stereotype.
My best man is Chelsea and absolutely hates Spurs fans with a passion, often leaving me wondering whether I fall into his norm of "what he hates about Spurs fans" come 3pm on a Saturday.

No Gooners around thankfully, so we can all share a laugh at their expense.

...And my brother and old man are both avid Spammers, which makes for interesting times.

My family were split Woolwich on mother's side and Spurs with dad, but as with most Woolwich "fans" they've never been to a match, my daughter is married to a gooner but both kids follow spurs and one was a season ticket holder till he went to college. My son's wife comes from Leicester but is a Spurs fan along with the kids. My school mates were mostly us or United, that was due to the massive sympathy the nation felt after the air crash. At work we employed people from all over the country so there were plenty of clubs supported wasn't till the 70's the Liverpool, United thing kicked in.

0 Gooners
1.5 Cheatski*
3 Liverpool
1 United
3 Spurs
+ Ipswich, Reading, Derby, Forest, Grimsby, Villa

One dingdonghead started supporting Cheatski aged 40 because they did well. Yes, he is an utter bell end.

0 Gooners
1.5 Cheatski*
3 Liverpool
1 United
3 Spurs
+ Ipswich, Reading, Derby, Forest, Grimsby, Villa

One dingdonghead started supporting Cheatski aged 40 because they did well. Yes, he is an utter bell end.

I might be too forward here, but I have to ask. Why are you friends with a dingdonghead Johnny-come-lately glory hunting chav bell end (albeit just half of one)?

Grew up in Hertford. A Spurs town, but a fudge load of Gooners there....

Unfortunately several of my very best mates of 15 years + years are Gooner scum. Some of them are part time, some are 'proper'.

Footballing wise the relationship is bitter & abusive [emoji1], as it shoulf be. I had nothing but mockery & abuse from them for far too long.... now the tables have turned, I am revelling in it.

Do have several good Spurs mates as well. 3 or 4 token Yanuited & Scouse.

And a couple of Canning town / cheatski too. Where I grew up, in the 90s, Cheatski fans in particular just didn't exist. Non-existent. .. I wonder if tha's the same now

Sent from my SM-G930F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I might be too forward here, but I have to ask. Why are you friends with a dingdonghead Johnny-come-lately glory hunting chav bell end (albeit just half of one)?
He is a Reading fan really, for 30+ years, but foolishly he chose a Cheatski fan as Godfather to his son, who then indoctrinated the kid into being a Cheatski fan, and after a few years he too started to watch their results and eventually decided he likes Cheatski quite a lot.... what a bell. It's not my fault, I deplore this behaviour and call him out on it, he went down a LOT in my estimation and I no longer really take his opinion or conversation seriously.

My deep aversion to Arsenal stemmed from being constantly taunted by an older Arsehole fan when I was about 13, not least because in those days (1957/58) Spurs were actually doing better than the Gooners who were languishing around mid-table at the time.

But that counted for nothing with him, he would rub my nose in it nonstop about their history, how they'd won the League 5 times to our once etc etc. It was Eddie Hapgood this and Cliff Bastin that as though they were Gods from another planet. He must have got it all from his dad because those players were pre-WW2.

His insufferable arrogance left me with an indelible hatred of all things Arsenal that i carry around to this day. It's so deep-rooted I still make a point of keeping my distance from Gooners.

My family were split Woolwich on mother's side and Spurs with dad, but as with most Woolwich "fans" they've never been to a match, my daughter is married to a gooner but both kids follow spurs and one was a season ticket holder till he went to college. My son's wife comes from Leicester but is a Spurs fan along with the kids. My school mates were mostly us or United, that was due to the massive sympathy the nation felt after the air crash. At work we employed people from all over the country so there were plenty of clubs supported wasn't till the 70's the Liverpool, United thing kicked in.
That's what happens if you don't own a gun.

A handful of acquaintances over the years. No true friends I can recall. Best mate's a Liverpool fan and takes most of my abuse without giving too much back, so it rarely gets heated! Come to think of it, most of my closer friends (other than Spurs) have supported fairly random, non-rival teams, so it's never really been that much of an issue.

Back