• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Pathetic from him. There is no excuse for drink driving. He should know better, and for that simple reason, he should be heavily punished.

Make a stand as a club, for the greater good. No more special warm up shirts to ‘support’ those who do wrong.

IM surprised so many people are taking this line. Ignoring the football aspect of it (an example to the rest of the club is going to probably be fined, may sit out a game or two, and just generally be in the news for the wrong reasons) drink driving is putting other people on the road in danger, not just himself.

It’s really poor from anyone, let alone the World Cup winning captain who is supposed to be an example to everyone at our club for his professionalism.

Stories like this underline just how desensitized American sports fans (and Americans in general?) are to public figures and athletes committing crimes. Unless it's a truly heinous crime, it barely makes a ripple over here. And honestly, if the player/coach is talented enough, even the worst crimes will be forgiven (Google "Joe Paterno"). For reference, one of the most famous NFL players of all-time, a guy named Ray Lewis, very likely murdered 2 people outside a party, and he's considered a legend of the sport.

Crimes like drunk driving seem to happen constantly over here, sometimes the night before a big game, and nobody bats an eye. Honestly, it's probably considered one of the best case scenarios of a crime for an athlete to commit. Domestic abuse, violent assaults, sex crimes, etc stories come out all the time over here.

Obviously, it's an extremely dangerous thing to do and an awful decision. I'm sure Hugo will face punishment, and honestly, I'm happy that he will. It's a lot better than the desensitized sports world we live in over here.

Everyone makes mistakes but still a very serious offence. What if he knocked over and killed someone whilst under the influence ... ?

Crazy, just crazy.

Fair point but hundreds of people get caught for this every week. Other footballers have been caught and it hasn't impacted on their career. Plus we don't know the circumstances.

I've no problem with him losing the captaincy but anything else would be too much in my view unless he's been really stupid (i.e. well over the limit and couldn't stand up).

Big fan of Hugo but the club should have a zero tolerance to this. I am surprised that top level footballers whose careers are dependent on the fitness of their bodies will drink to excess. I am sure players were banned from consuming alcohol under Harry.

Sharing a bottle of wine over dinner could have done it. Not sure if that is 'drinking to excess'?

Kane is far more smart, he doesn't drink at all. And that is the best option (for everyone). But provided he wasn't speeding or driving recklessly, I have sympathy for him. He might have had a couple of glasses of wine, been driving home without any danger to himself or others, and just be unfortunate.

In terms of his role at the club, well it could be a good warning to all fans to not drink and drive, and provided he handles it with care and remose I don't see it as a big deal.

Horrible news to wake up to this morning. Stupid mistake which could have life changing consequences - I think everyone expects more from the type of person he seems to be.

I hope he's contrite and make efforts to educate going forward instead of waiting for the next story to blow this over.

Technical offence. By current 'morning after' standards I was probably over the limit when I took my test, and would have offered that in my defence had I been caught. I had many travellers compliment my driving in comparision to TTers

So much really dangerous driving goes unpunished. And not even cared about.

Too many bad and incompetent drivers on the road.

Croatian copper ?

What a idiot, there no excuse at all for getting into the drivers seat after you have been drinking. World cup winner or not and i hope Poch acts on this.

Pretty stupid of him, I’m sure he can afford a taxi.

Do we know how far over he was yet? Like GB says I think there is a difference between a couple of glasses of wine and being totally hammered at the wheel. Praying it’s the former and he’s just been a bit naive.

Technical offence. By current 'morning after' standards I was probably over the limit when I took my test, and would have offered that in my defence had I been caught. I had many travellers compliment my driving in comparision to TTers

So much really dangerous driving goes unpunished. And not even cared about.

Too many bad and incompetent drivers on the road.

Croatian copper ?
True enough but two wrongs don't make a right. You're surely not condoning drink-driving?

I don't think it is the absolute crime it is made out to be.

Police manipulation of events to demonize it just gives them something to crow about.

Hardly. Tabloids get a whiff of the juicy story from a dodgy custody sergeant, and the minimum of information is then released to meet demands from frenzied hacks.

I don't think it is the absolute crime it is made out to be.

Police manipulation of events to demonize it just gives them something to crow about.
So if someone gets knocked over as a result of an accident involving a driver who is over the limit, that's just unfortunate?

Listen I can see why someone might make a mistake, believing they'll be okay and all that, but that's exactly where the problem begins. You have to have a limit. Deaths and serious accidents from drink-driving have decreased dramatically since the legislation was introduced.

https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/drivers/drinking-and-driving.pdf

There is always this assumption that if you are caught drink driving you are smashed when in reality it could be from 2 pretty low strength pints which does not make it right but I do think the reaction should be dependant on the level of the crime. if he was smashed then throw the book at him if it was two pints and a timing issue then you let the law punish him and thats enough.

So if someone gets knocked over as a result of an accident involving a driver who is over the limit, that's just unfortunate?

Listen I can see why someone might make a mistake, believing they'll be okay and all that, but that's exactly where the problem begins. You have to have a limit. Deaths and serious accidents from drink-driving have decreased dramatically since the legislation was introduced.

https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/drivers/drinking-and-driving.pdf

Silly 'debating point' highlighted. Starting a point with 'So' is generally a give-away.

You didn't mention whether the alcohol was a cause of the accident. You didn't mention whether the driver who had partaken was the cause, or even driving a/the vehicle causing the injury. No consideration of driver's driving standard or capacity to operate with drink. Hence my calling it a 'technical offence'.

Big fan of Hugo but the club should have a zero tolerance to this. I am surprised that top level footballers whose careers are dependent on the fitness of their bodies will drink to excess. I am sure players were banned from consuming alcohol under Harry.
Harry would have been out on the beer with them most nights, if banned it would have been for drinking before a game. Are you talking about when he delayed the Christmas party and they went out anyway?

Just saw this now, and I have to say that I'm shocked and disappointed. He's always seemed like a sensible person to me.

I don't think he should play for us again now, and he certainly shouldn't be captain again. For me this is a very serious crime where you put other people's safety and life in danger. People can make mistakes, and deserve a second chance, but the club also needs to take a stance and make it clear that we can't tolerate it from players or staff, even if it might be detrimental to our fortunes this season now that the window is closed.

Out of interest, do you feel the same about players who are caught speeding in a car? Which is worse in your opinion, driving after 2 pints, or speeding and reckless driving without consuming alchool?

“I wish to apologise wholeheartedly to my family, the club, my team-mates, the manager and all of the supporters. Drink driving is completely unacceptable, I take full responsibility for my actions and it is not the example I wish to set.”

Back