• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Marcus Edwards

The fact that he wasn't on the pre season tour says it all, even George Marsh was there ... Marcus Edwards won't get the chance with Pochettino.
He clearly doesn't have the attitude and professionalism Poch demand. But with us chasing Grealish an entire summer, it's worth mentioning that Grealish would never have made it under Poch neither if being his player at younger age.
Grealish also had serious attitude issues, repeated late nights out, even being pictured passed out drunk on the streets of Tenerife. He had to be told to grow up by his manager, and says he found a role model in John Terry which turned his career around and gave him that half a season he's had of solid performance so far in his career. We might miss out on one hell of a players due to Pochettino being so unforgiving and impatient - could be many others as well.
Based on last season and the Norwich loan what did Edwards do to deserve to go on that tour?

Based on last season and the Norwich loan what did Edwards do to deserve to go on that tour?

You are absolutely correct... however, is there anyone in our squad who can consistently do this:

I am still at a loss how our club cannot find a way of harnessing what is undoubtedly a massive potential

You are absolutely correct... however, is there anyone in our squad who can consistently do this:

I am still at a loss how our club cannot find a way of harnessing what is undoubtedly a massive potential
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a massive fan and had/have huge hopes for him, but he did himself no favors last season and the current stance from Poch is completely justified. A few more weeks of these performances though and if he’s still not involved in the first team training / squads then I guess we can say that Poch is freezing him out. At the moment though I see nothing wrong with his treatment.

Forget Mini Messi

A goal like that at Anfield, Kopp end.....Small Salah I'd say

No he doesn't, but should that be all that matter? He's an insane talent that's off his path, and I feel that Poch should have worked more on him getting back on track. Edwards will never realize his mistakes and get it together by being out in the cold and thinking about his next club. For him to be a success, and especially here, he'd need to be involved and cared for, he need to be around Pochettino as he needs his guidance more as a human than footballer. I question whether we can afford to throw away someone who's basically Eriksen level talent, needs to be under Poch's wings in my opinion. Preferably living under his roof and driving with him to training every day, but that's probably asking a lof of a manager :)

I don't understand how people can still put his lack of progress at the feet of the club. With all the players that have either come out of the academy or came here from elsewhere and improved; somehow this kid not having the mental portion to succeed is someone else fault. The club wants nothing more than to see him succeed - we can only benefit from that.

Wow. Still only 22, and on the scrapheap.

Maybe he could get a game in the 73rd tier of English football. Crazy, the guy has talent, surely he could play at a decent level.

A big lesson here for Marcus Edwards.
Sounds like he did suffer a really bad injury earlier this year too, so he may have been unlucky. Shame for the lad.

I don't understand how people can still put his lack of progress at the feet of the club. With all the players that have either come out of the academy or came here from elsewhere and improved; somehow this kid not having the mental portion to succeed is someone else fault. The club wants nothing more than to see him succeed - we can only benefit from that.

Whilst he's not blameless in what's happened, he's hardly the only one seeing a lack of progression. KWP and Onomah are two years older than he is and are token squad players at best, what's the motivation for Edwards if that's where it's going to get him? We've also had four highly thought of academy players leave the club this summer so clearly they are now seeing this as well. The system that Pochettino has put in place isn't helping these kids. Each year he cherry picks the best prospect from the academy and takes them out of playing games at any level, then people wonder why after a couple of years they haven't developed quite as hoped. Skipp is that latest to be added to the list, he's not a youth player anymore but he's not a senior player either, he's just a trainer. Onomah, CCV, Edwards, KWP and Oakley-Boothe have all gone through this same cycle and none of them are really any better for it. The previous generation of academy players like Kane, Townsend, Mason, Carroll, Pritchard, Caulker etc all went on loan from an early age, now loans aren't the perfect solution either and every case is different but it's surely preferable to spending the majority of their vital development years between the age of 17-21 playing barely any football?

But only after three years and two years(respectively) of them becoming full-time trainers, so essentially an admission that his way of integrating them had failed.
I couldn't say, but better late than never I guess. Poch is pragmatic if nothing else.

Or that the players don't have what it takes at senior level- won't be the last time highly rated youngsters don't step up

Crazy is it not, his progress is all down to him. Ability is one thing but unless the player/s have the right mental attitude it will not happen.

After he scored that lovely goal he still looked .......I can’t think of the right word.... Bolshy?

It’s such a shame!

It's curious to me that if a player doesn't make it it's all down to them, but if they do it's all thanks to the manager. Maybe they don't have what it takes but we'll never know if they don't get the chance to play. Having said that though, when KWP comes in and is awarded man of the match in his only two PL starts and is still overlooked then it seems that even when they do everything right it's still not enough.

Back