• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

He is a leader. And our team over the years has lacked someone who will make others accountable. Just for that he is good in the team. His range of passing is good, and he is a danger in the box.

I have said it before and i will say it again, he is the ideal player for our next captain. Never thought a keeper should be captain as they are too far away from the action most of the time.

I like him, just wish he was more of a clam. We need a Roy Keane clam type of player till we win things then actually we might be able to win without one.

But till then we need a clam.

I have said it before and i will say it again, he is the ideal player for our next captain. Never thought a keeper should be captain as they are too far away from the action most of the time.
I think he’ll make an excellent captain. He simply oozes leadership.

Unfortunately I think the captain ship may have sailed on this. Kane is roughly the same age and looks the next in line. But I actually prefer Dier for that role. And I actually think the extra responsibility will improve him as a player by improving his concentration

I dont think he needs to be given the armband for him to be a leader in our team tbh.....
I think the captain thing is overplayed (even more so for England), it’s a confidence boost to the individual, but as you mention, players really don’t need the armband to show leadership. I mean Dier has not been our captain but is widely regarded as being a leader in our team.

Southgate also had him in his 5-man leadership group, along with Kane, Henderson, Delph and Young

Even though he’s not the best in any particular position I’d prefer Dier to be captain ahead of Kane (and Lloris)

Partly due to his position on the pitch and partly due to an old school mentality - the way he looks after Alli, treats rival players, his haircut and lack of tacooos make him perfect captain material.

Missed him big time yesterday, Dembélé in there on his own looked like a fish out of water.

I agree that we missed him. Moussa will always look to move forward with the ball, and as good as he is at it, will naturally leave a gap. Poch obviously wanted to go with a 5 but didn't want to leave any of the front 4 out, which meant it was Dier or Moussa.

I cant remember seeing that midfield as a 3 before (Moussa, Eriksen, Alli) - and although there is an extra defender it means no natural screen for the ball into the oppo's front 2.

I agree that we missed him. Moussa will always look to move forward with the ball, and as good as he is at it, will naturally leave a gap. Poch obviously wanted to go with a 5 but didn't want to leave any of the front 4 out, which meant it was Dier or Moussa.

I cant remember seeing that midfield as a 3 before (Moussa, Eriksen, Alli) - and although there is an extra defender it means no natural screen for the ball into the oppo's front 2.

I can only assume that Dier was not fit enough to start, if he was well i am afraid Poch made a poor decision.

No problem with Dier being benched today, he needs a boot up the arse imo.

It appears that boot up the arse wasn't enough. I have lost patience with him to be honest, he is bringing nothing to the table so far this season. It feels like if our other players are in form, he can coast through games and look decent. But if the others aren't at it, then he looks what he is, which is quite average. Every time he plays lately, he will make at least one ridiculous turnover of possession and -- in his position -- that's not good enough. You got to offer more than just dropping between the centre-halves.

IMO, he's a squad player. If we want to improve, he shouldn't be making the first XI.

Back