• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

This stadium is being marketed as the dedicated home for the NFL in Britain and, as such, we keep hearing that Levy is trying to engineer a naming rights deal that reflects the value associated with being part of the world's two biggest leagues.

Try selling the constant use of the word Yid to a North American audience. It will never fly, no matter how morally dignified the reason for its use.

You will never, ever hear morally upright Americans chanting 'N' Army to show support for the black community at a NFL or NBA game, where racial issues are boiling over. But we hear Yid Army pouring out of the stands at every Spurs game. It's only rarely being used as a defensive response any more. Most often, it just starts up on its own and acts as an antagonistic provocation to the other side's fans. It makes us look like the little people who support Rangers or Celtic.

Spurs fans need to accept that this is putting a higher hurdle in front of Levy's marketing efforts to get the stadium the naming rights deal he feels this wonderful stadium deserves.

You are talking utter garbage.

The use of the word Yid at Spurs is not so common place that North American organisations would even know it. The odd chant thrown around at games is not visable outside the club, its not even discussed on here much anymore and this is a spurs dedicated forum. The club certainly don't promote it and there is never EVER mention of the clubs Jewish of Yiddish heritage when we are mentioned in the media.

IF you had even a slight point we would not have any of the sponsorships we have now, the NFL would not even enter into the partnership with us.

I am sorry but you are talking utter SH1T

You are talking utter garbage.

The use of the word Yid at Spurs is not so common place that North American organisations would even know it. The odd chant thrown around at games is not visable outside the club, its not even discussed on here much anymore and this is a spurs dedicated forum. The club certainly don't promote it and there is never EVER mention of the clubs Jewish of Yiddish heritage when we are mentioned in the media.

IF you had even a slight point we would not have any of the sponsorships we have now, the NFL would not even enter into the partnership with us.

I am sorry but you are talking utter SH1T

I can't begin to imagine the cloistered existence you live that would allow you to speak with such ignorance in such a declarative manner.

Maybe the perception of Spurs as 'The Jews' Club' isn't being delivered to the mainstream UK audience anymore out of respect or general good manners. But I have heard the term spoken first hand in Canada. My nephew works for Schlumberger, the oil industry giant and has spent time in Saudi Arabia. He attended a Spurs Europa League game (Dos Santos was playing in that one) at White Hart Lane and mentioned it one day in a discussion with fellow workers about football stadiums. The room immediately went silent and then he was told 'we don't speak here about the Jews' Club'.

The exact same term was dropped in Wales when another relative attending college near Cardiff discussed football with his classmates.

My work has straddled both mainstream media and corporate commercial sponsorship deals within the North American sports scene. I know for a fact that one Canadian TV network's producers have told their program directors to be alert nowadays for the Yid Army chant and lower the volume on the game audio feed when it starts up. ESPN don't like to talk about Spurs for the precise reason that they are a club that draws up a religious aspect, like Celtic and Rangers, who most of the world are happy to ignore.

It might seem benign to Spurs fans, but it's far from benign in the rest of the world.

The issue here is about marketing the stadium naming rights deal.

You are talking out your big wide Arsnal if you think the word Yid can be casually chucked about in North America or many other parts of the civilized world without repercussions. You go and shout Yid Army! on Manhattan Island or Malibu Beach or Miami or Minneapolis and see how people will look at you. I can assure you, it is a word that has not lost it's connotations in the home of the NFL.

And yes, I'll agree on your last point. You are sorry.

Maybe the perception of Spurs as 'The Jews' Club' isn't being delivered to the mainstream UK audience anymore out of respect or general good manners. But I have heard the term spoken first hand in Canada. My nephew works for Schlumberger, the oil industry giant and has spent time in Saudi Arabia. He attended a Spurs Europa League game (Dos Santos was playing in that one) at White Hart Lane and mentioned it one day in a discussion with fellow workers about football stadiums. The room immediately went silent and then he was told 'we don't speak here about the Jews' Club'.

The word Yid might offend north Americans and if we walked down the street in New York people would be offended, but we don't and the point is to the outside world when people think of Spurs they don't think "Yid" nor do they think "Jews" as the first point of reference

I have worked all round the world and North America is one of my main working hubs and sport talk comes up nearly every time in some meeting or conference etc and not once has anyone mentioned that Spurs is a Jewish Club, people talk abotu how good we are, how good the league is, Kane etc etc but never the J or Y word/

Your argument is that the fans are using the word so freely that our reputation of being Jewish and Yid proceed the club are wrong in my view.

As has been explained before, if this was the case why would HUGE US companies such as NIKE and the NFL be interested in partnering with us? What about that massive Californian organasation Hewlett Packard? Are they not going into dangerous ares exposing themselves to the J word? Of course not because as I say there is the issue you are trying to peddle.

All arguments get silly when they are polarised, and this one more than most. Spurs has a reputation as a club with Jewish associations, above and beyond the actual representation of Jews in our fan base. That's something that the casual international observer might well miss, might well be aware of, but would certainly come across if researching the club as a business investment.

Some cultures are likely to be anti-Israel and perhaps anti-Semitic by default, and the Gulf-based oil industry is clearly among those. Others, particularly Republican US business communities, are often going to be instinctively pro-Israel and pro-Semitic, so the association may be helpful.

It's much too complex an issue to address in the margins of a stadium thread.

Some cultures are likely to be anti-Israel and perhaps anti-Semitic by default, and the Gulf-based oil industry is clearly among those. Others, particularly Republican US business communities, are often going to be instinctively pro-Israel and pro-Semitic, so the association may be helpful.

But we don't actively promote ourselves as a Jewish Club, we don't wear it as a badge to show the world whilst still being proud of it in the background. You say rightly you search for it you will find it but you have to search for it which is my point.

I think you have to give more credit to a number ofhuge corporate organisations to levitate above anything like that, yes there will be exceptions to the rule but Emirates Airlines is a huge Middle East Player and they invested in Arsenal a deal brokered in part by David Dein at the time a prominent Jewish Business Man.

The point I am making strongly though is the reputation of Spurs around the world is not one where the world thinks "Jews" first and football club second that would make it a blocker to business, if it was and the term "Yid" being used by fans at games was a hinderence Levy would come out and say so, of that I have no doubts.

Have the details on the tickets being released happened yet?
Supporters will be able to apply to attend the Test Events through two ballots and further details of these will follow in due course. Priority for both events will be given to Season Ticket Holders and Executive members, followed by One Hotspur + and then One Hotspur members. In the unlikely event that any tickets remain after these groups have been allocated, a General Sale of tickets will take place. If you’re not already a member, you can click here to find out more about One Hotspur membership.

Please refer to our initial Test Events announcement from earlier this week for ticket prices and further information.
https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2018/july/new-stadium-test-events-update/

Supporters will be able to apply to attend the Test Events through two ballots and further details of these will follow in due course. Priority for both events will be given to Season Ticket Holders and Executive members, followed by One Hotspur + and then One Hotspur members. In the unlikely event that any tickets remain after these groups have been allocated, a General Sale of tickets will take place. If you’re not already a member, you can click here to find out more about One Hotspur membership.

Please refer to our initial Test Events announcement from earlier this week for ticket prices and further information.
https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2018/july/new-stadium-test-events-update/
Cheers I meant have they opened the applications but it appears not yet.

I can't begin to imagine the cloistered existence you live that would allow you to speak with such ignorance in such a declarative manner.

The exact same term was dropped in Wales when another relative attending college near Cardiff discussed football with his classmates.

My work has straddled both mainstream media and corporate commercial sponsorship deals within the North American sports scene. I know for a fact that one Canadian TV network's producers have told their program directors to be alert nowadays for the Yid Army chant and lower the volume on the game audio feed when it starts up. ESPN don't like to talk about Spurs for the precise reason that they are a club that draws up a religious aspect, like Celtic and Rangers, who most of the world are happy to ignore.

It might seem benign to Spurs fans, but it's far from benign in the rest of the world.

The issue here is about marketing the stadium naming rights deal.

You are talking out your big wide Arsnal if you think the word Yid can be casually chucked about in North America or many other parts of the civilized world without repercussions. You go and shout Yid Army! on Manhattan Island or Malibu Beach or Miami or Minneapolis and see how people will look at you. I can assure you, it is a word that has not lost it's connotations in the home of the NFL.

And yes, I'll agree on your last point. You are sorry.

I just can’t but think of this ad when I read your posts

Back