• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Zaha

Still think our primary target should be cover for Eriksen. Without him we often look devoid of inventiveness.

I do agree with that ( and said it on here many times) the problem is that Eriksen is world class ( imo) and they are not many about who can cover him at the same level. Grealish is nowhere near him in ability but he has the tools to become a better player with the right coaching ( which i am sure he will get here).

Presumably you mean "Grealish can improve as a player" and not "Grealish can become a better player than Eriksen".

Im sure thats your intent, but theres enough ambiguity in your post to make me wonder!

Im not sure about that, Kanes last spell on the sidelines saw us playing very well with Son as a false 9

IIRC, we played better when Son went back wide and Lamela took the central '9' role. (Chelsea away the best example, there were a couple of other games where Lamela played through the middle of the attack though).

IIRC, we played better when Son went back wide and Lamela took the central '9' role. (Chelsea away the best example, there were a couple of other games where Lamela played through the middle of the attack though).

Yeah you may well be right there mate, my memory is more of the set up working well than it is of any particular individual- i certainly think the way forward is attacking midfielders who can step in for Kane rather than relying on a CF Kane understudy type - be that Lamela or Son

Yep that's how I remember it. Worked surprisingly well too.

Presumably you mean "Grealish can improve as a player" and not "Grealish can become a better player than Eriksen".

Im sure thats your intent, but theres enough ambiguity in your post to make me wonder!

Why cannot Grealish become a better player than Eriksen? When Kane was playing at Leicester would anyone have even dreamt that he would be become the most widely acknowledged centre forward in world football? Did anyone even dream, in his first season, that Eriksen would become the most creative midfielder in our colours since Gazza?

Is it certain that Grealish will become a better player than our Great Dane? Not at this stage. Is it impossible for him to do so? Of course not!

This dismissive attitude on this board of other team's players - you can see it in so many threads - is so prevalent and has been for decades. Especially when the player is from a "small" team! The many posters calling Ashley Young overrated when he was moving from Watford, is just one that sticks in the mind.

Why are people saying grealish is cover for eriksen? From the little footage I've seen he looks like he runs with the ball like Dele, not orchestrates like eriksen.
I just assumed he's a punt on a cheapish talented young player, who will either come to something under Poch, or be sold at a profit.

Why are people saying grealish is cover for eriksen? From the little footage I've seen he looks like he runs with the ball like Dele, not orchestrates like eriksen.
I just assumed he's a punt on a cheapish talented young player, who will either come to something under Poch, or be sold at a profit.

Define cheapish? ;)

You may alluding to him being under £70m?

I agree more Dele than Eriksen!

We don’t have like for likes in any of the AM roles, Eriksen, Alli, Lamela, Son, Moura and Sissoko are all distinctive in style.

Grealish and Cook to me are very similar transfers targets and ones which I can understand:

- young, so have the potential to improve
- English, so helps with our overseas number problem (which gets worse if Martial and De Ligt arrive)
- seemingly available for reasonable prices (say £30m or so) relative to typical prices for a young English player
- they'd come in as squad players but can fit in with our style easily when they play - energetic and comfortable on the ball

So them coming in and say Sissoko and GKN leaving makes sense to me. Not exciting deals, but would improve the squad - I think if people view it in that context they might be understood better

Define cheapish? ;)

Any player at or below the same price of another player possessing similar attributes and who has been sold in the same time period.

At the moment, that would be James Maddison who moved for 24mill, after just one season in the Championship. Grealish has more experience so an anything between 25 - 30 mill (considering that Aston Villa have ambitions for next season higher than Norwich) would be cheapish...

Why cannot Grealish become a better player than Eriksen? When Kane was playing at Leicester would anyone have even dreamt that he would be become the most widely acknowledged centre forward in world football? Did anyone even dream, in his first season, that Eriksen would become the most creative midfielder in our colours since Gazza?

Is it certain that Grealish will become a better player than our Great Dane? Not at this stage. Is it impossible for him to do so? Of course not!

This dismissive attitude on this board of other team's players - you can see it in so many threads - is so prevalent and has been for decades. Especially when the player is from a "small" team! The many posters calling Ashley Young overrated when he was moving from Watford, is just one that sticks in the mind.

I think youll find my post was just a flippant response to this
Grealish is nowhere near him in ability but he has the tools to become a better player

Certainly not meant in any real seriousness, nor looking to provoke a debate on his potiential.

For what its worth, Im not against his signing. And I would be a fool to write off any young player for precisely examples like Kane, so I try not too.

Back