• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

This is just a little bit of light-hearted jibe from me, so don't take it the wrong way. But what I see from some of our ever-optimistic folks this window, above all... is the 'bargaining' part of grief. :p

We started out relatively united in our optimism for this window - then, some of us started wondering when we would sign anyone, and were told by others that the World Cup hadn't even started yet. We would, don't worry.
Then the World Cup ended, and those folks insisted that our pre-season had only just begun - we would sign someone, don't worry.
Then we started getting linked with players of....*dubious* quality, and we were told, this is Poch's plan, don't worry.
Now, as we're getting worryingly close to the deadline, we're told - Llorente and Lamela can be like new signings, and we never needed transfers anyway, don't worry.

I'd be willing to bet that, if the window closes without a single new player, those folks will be saying, 'this was the best window ever *because* we made no signings, don't worry.'

We saw the same thing - the *exact* same thing - with Arsenal throughout the late 2000's. And didn't we laugh whenever Wenger insisted that some random player returning from injury or showing a slight upturn in form would "be like a new signing"?

Yet, here we are, doing the exact same thing, which will likely have the exact same outcome. :p

For the sake of everyone, I hope Levy gets his hand out of his *rse and gets going on signing someone - it will save us all the trouble of this grieving process reaching that logical conclusion. :)

Has any player of proven top quality actually moved sides this summer? I don’t think so personally but I’d love someone to bring up a player I may have missed. We can’t do anything about other teams investing in their squads and it’s why people get it wrong so often hen predicting the season as they have no idea how existing players may feel and new ones too of course. We have seen almost every side of a window failing and also had some successes. No one seems to learn in football and least of all the fans when it comes to transfers

And on the subject if signings, all people are going off are poorly created rumours in the press and on anti-social media. Nothing is based in cold hard facts. No chairman has said I’ve turned down an offer from Spurs

Hope you are wrong but it is an increasing risk we are running!
We can’t keep flying in face of logic? If that’s the right saying?
We got lucky in the last few seasons on the back of one or three exceptional players, we can’t keep chancing/riding our luck.
I'm calling you out on this thread, we only where we are because of three quality players!
So
world cup winning capt and club capt
World cup golden boot winner, national capt
Two members of the Belgian defence that got to the semi final of the world cup
The first choice England right back who was leading chance provider at the world cup at one stage
First choice England cm who got to sf of wc
Denmark's most important player
Telll me when to stop and I'm boring you.

Some of the negative stuff on here at times is painful and your frankly snide comments about micro brewery and comfy seats in the nest stadium in the country if not Europe pitiful.

I'm calling you out on this thread, we only where we are because of three quality players!
So
world cup winning capt and club capt
World cup golden boot winner, national capt
Two members of the Belgian defence that got to the semi final of the world cup
The first choice England right back who was leading chance provider at the world cup at one stage
First choice England cm who got to sf of wc
Denmark's most important player
Telll me when to stop and I'm boring you.

Some of the negative stuff on here at times is painful and your frankly snide comments about micro brewery and comfy seats in the nest stadium in the country if not Europe pitiful.
Your forgetting son and Sanchez and rose and Dier ... all key players who did play in the WC and arguably will be coming back more confident and happier players after their experiences

Imdidnt forget, I just wanted to embarrass steph h, not humiliate him.

He is entitled to his views like we all are. I just prefer it when people qualify their opinion a bit.

I’ve said it enough but Poch seems pretty happy with everything from what I’ve seen... now compare that with Mou

Has any player of proven top quality actually moved sides this summer? I don’t think so personally but I’d love someone to bring up a player I may have missed.

Depends on what you consider to be proven top quality, really. I'm sure Ronaldo would be one, by any indicator. :p

But would you consider Fabinho, Keita, and Alisson to be top quality? Lemar? Jorginho? Mahrez? Cancelo? Lenglet? Nainggolan? Kondogbia? Leno? Seri?

They've all moved this summer, for pretty large fees.

We can’t do anything about other teams investing in their squads and it’s why people get it wrong so often hen predicting the season as they have no idea how existing players may feel and new ones too of course. We have seen almost every side of a window failing and also had some successes. No one seems to learn in football and least of all the fans when it comes to transfers

Right, but surely that works both ways, too? Clubs that just don't do business and call players signing new contracts/returning from injuries 'new signings' don't tend to do well at all, at least judging by the most recent example of that behaviour (Arsenal).

And on the subject if signings, all people are going off are poorly created rumours in the press and on anti-social media. Nothing is based in cold hard facts. No chairman has said I’ve turned down an offer from Spurs

I agree - the specific players we've been linked to are all over the shop, and there's zero evidence to indicate that we've done anything at all this summer.

That's the issue, really. :p Especially when the one cold hard fact is that we're ten days away from the end of the window and we're still silent as the grave.

I don't think we'll end the window as quiet as we are. But I also think that, in the event that we *do* sit on our hands right through to the end...it will not be a good thing.

There's obviously a couple of gaps in the side. I always thought that we'd have to sell to buy this summer. It appears that there haven't been any firm offers for Rose, Alderweireld or Dembele. Without creating space in the squad and raising funds, signing players is difficult. That is before we get to the usual issues we face improving the first team on our budget. I'm always relaxed about the window because very little gets out these days and life is too short.

I'm calm too, but more in the 'resigned' sense. We just don't really push ourselves in the market until push comes to shove - our core approach of waiting for leftovers and scraps at the very end of the window will likely continue until Levy and ENIC leave.

And life's too short to get angry at something Levy's done for 18 years and will do until the day he croaks, more or less. Additionally, we still might end up with some fantastic players at the end of this window, so I'm not going to definitely judge one way or another.

But you have to wonder if this is what 'being brave' means.

As for trying to sell before we buy, we can still sell after the 'buying' window closes. There is a negotiating disadvantage that comes with that approach (i.e, European clubs will know that we need to sell to balance our books), but we can't avoid that given the way the window is structured this time.

so, this is a non event - definitely no marquee signings

maybe a squad player or two, possibly in the last days/hours/minutes and done after the window is shut

is this the quietest we've been in recent years ?? feels like it

He is entitled to his views like we all are. I just prefer it when people qualify their opinion a bit.

I’ve said it enough but Poch seems pretty happy with everything from what I’ve seen... now compare that with Mou

He was saying the same last summer, changed his tune once the season start.

Thought his comments after the Barca game was him upping the pressure on Levy a tad.

Like you said, when it's so late in signing anyone desperation means anyone will do whether they are suitable or not

However, buy Fernando Llorente and not utilise his strengths. Smart?;)

Llorente is a good player, not many dispute that, but the right player for the way we play?

We might have a similar issue with Zaha if he signs. Good player, but will his skillset fit with our style of play.

Like you said, when it's so late in signing anyone desperation means anyone will do whether they are suitable or not

However, buy Fernando Llorente and not utilise his strengths. Smart?;)

Llorente is a good player, not many dispute that, but the right player for the way we play?

We might have a similar issue with Zaha if he signs. Good player, but will his skillset fit with our style of play.
think that has been the way with a few players we got in
2 wingers and we didn't play to the their strengths

think that has been the way with a few players we got in
2 wingers and we didn't play to the their strengths

I think we have bought wingers with potential and had looked for them to adapt to our system, any player joining will need to work hard when they dont have the ball and train well, we only see small views of them an can leave the judgement of their use to the manager. I hope we can get a couple of players of real quality but if we can't I don't have a problem with signing players who can be developed for a reasonable price.

When Charlie Adam is questioning your fitness and work ethic, feck me, there has to be something there!!! :D

Media tittle tattle, or gossip as my old Nan used call it. We will see but I personally think some of you rush to judgment with so little real knowledge of these players character.

Have you seen our pre season games?
We look about as cohesive as any side currently and were missing 9 super star players
We’re also playing 4-3-3 currently (or a version of) and we have looke dbloody good against some decent opposition
I don’t think that any player not there will not be fit enough when the season starts as their all trainung whilst away to a plan set by the club
And we have some players that off the back of these games now look fitter and more match ready than last season to push on and be like new signings (moura, Lamela, Aurier, possibly Llorente) and the young lads have stepped up and shown ability.

Preseason imho is just a bit of fun and fitness training, I really give them so little importance. We look OK.
I love your enthusiasm and optimism when it comes to this Spurs team.
I think we need to cement our recent progress with some good signings IF the there is the finances available.

This is just a little bit of light-hearted jibe from me, so don't take it the wrong way. But what I see from some of our ever-optimistic folks this window, above all... is the 'bargaining' part of grief. :p

We started out relatively united in our optimism for this window - then, some of us started wondering when we would sign anyone, and were told by others that the World Cup hadn't even started yet. We would, don't worry.
Then the World Cup ended, and those folks insisted that our pre-season had only just begun - we would sign someone, don't worry.
Then we started getting linked with players of....*dubious* quality, and we were told, this is Poch's plan, don't worry.
Now, as we're getting worryingly close to the deadline, we're told - Llorente and Lamela can be like new signings, and we never needed transfers anyway, don't worry.

I'd be willing to bet that, if the window closes without a single new player, those folks will be saying, 'this was the best window ever *because* we made no signings, don't worry.'

We saw the same thing - the *exact* same thing - with Arsenal throughout the late 2000's. And didn't we laugh whenever Wenger insisted that some random player returning from injury or showing a slight upturn in form would "be like a new signing"?

Yet, here we are, doing the exact same thing, which will likely have the exact same outcome. :p

For the sake of everyone, I hope Levy gets his hand out of his *rse and gets going on signing someone - it will save us all the trouble of this grieving process reaching that logical conclusion. :)
Exactly. At the end of the season everyone was talking about the three signings we should make to improve us, now some are making out like it’s fine if we sign no one. I think this will be Lamelas third season of being a new signing. Of course we don’t need any new signings, how could we possibly improve a squad who have never won anything? I think it was Bedfordspur who said Poch looks happy despite no signings? We can’t know that, he’s not Mourinho so wouldn’t air his displeasure in public. Considering he said we have our transfer targets, how could he be happy that we haven’t got any of them? He said he wanted players in for pre season, again hasn’t happened. No doubt we will do some late business, but the way some want to paint this picture of how we are in great shape having done nothing at all with a load of burnt out WC players having sod all pre season is ridiculous....

Back