• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

BREAKING NEWS

Borussia Monchengladbach have completed the signing of Nice striker Alassane Plea.

The 25-year-old, who was linked with Saudi Sportswashing Machine, has signed a five-year-deal with the German club.

So go away on holiday for a week and basically nothing has happened, doesn't look like anyone is close. We go away to the US on around the 20th so I'd expect things to pick up next week once the world cup is over.

So go away on holiday for a week and basically nothing has happened, doesn't look like anyone is close. We go away to the US on around the 20th so I'd expect things to pick up next week once the world cup is over.

I think Alder coming back from Russia will unlock 3 transfers (Alder, Martial and De Ligt). That then leaves a fortnight to sort out Dembele's replacement and selling anyone else.

We need to sell them all. Loans suit no one
Agreed. I can’t help but feel we could sell all 3 of them with literally zero impact on the strength of the squad.
On the rare occasions we need squad cover, thats when we can blood the youth and offer a chance to step up. Chaff like this has started blocking the progression opportunities we offered a few years ago.

I think Alder coming back from Russia will unlock 3 transfers (Alder, Martial and De Ligt). That then leaves a fortnight to sort out Dembele's replacement and selling anyone else.

I’m not even convinced we need a direct Dembele replacement (if he goes) anyway. I’d love to see us set up a bit more like Emirates Marketing Project now - so no ‘double pivot’ - just play a single holder (Dier or Wanyama) then have two attacking midfielders.

So, Dele and Eriksen of course - with Winks as rotational cover for one, so perhaps the dembele replacement needs to be a more progressive attacking player.
Happy for Grealish to come in, but not sure he’s ‘that’ man quite yet...

Fenerbache pay for their loan deals though, if those players are loaned out on similiar deals throughout their contract then we've recouped as much as we could sell for.
Though I do admit it feels better to sell someone you want rid of.

So current situation is:

Liverpool have Shaqiri, Keita and Fabinho
Arse has Lichsteiner, Papadolodpdudosudopulos, and Jay Leno (GK)
Man U has signed Fred and Dalot
City have Mahrez [anyone else?]
Cheatski are a joke
Spurs: ?????

Optimistic-me says that Cheatski have gone nowhere and are only just replacing Conte (why so late??? Presumably there is a world cup manager which they wanted?). Additionally, the Arsenal signings I'm not sure really does that much for them. In which case, will these two have done much to improve from 5th and 6th? Not clear that they have, whilst we kind of have Moura as a new signing already

Pessimistic-me says that Liverpool signings look very good (they haven't solved their CB and GK problems yet though). Man C are verging on being untouchable and I'm sure Utd will spend >£100m on a couple more big names before Aug 11th. In which case top two is looking harder and harder, and Liverpool are looking tougher competitors for 3rd...so are we just aiming for 4th?

As posted in the Shaqiri thread, feels like we need to get a move on given that there's 4 weeks til the window closes and we have 2 or 3 first teamers to replace (TA, Dembele and perhaps Rose) even just to stand still. We're obviously not in a position where we need wholesale changes, but often in the PL standing still causes you to fall behind. Hopefully we have a couple deals lined up where 80%+ of the negotiations are done

We will only sign two players but I am thinking unlike previous years they will be world class or close to it. So Martial and if Toby stays then I guess a all round midfielder.

We will only sign two players but I am thinking unlike previous years they will be world class or close to it. So Martial and if Toby stays then I guess a all round midfielder.

We're going to sign two near-world-class players in the next 4 weeks??? Love it if thats the case, but feels like a long-shot

Back