• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

By rights there should have been 8 minutes of stoppage time in that first half. But of course that doesn't work for tv schedules, so fans just lose a lot of football

Of course there are issues with VAR, missed calls aplenty but halfway thru now, this has gone better than expected, I was expecting farces and some game changing incidents missed or not given and for the most part, that hasn't happened.

Either the VAR didn't think there was an obvious error or the ref on the pitch turned down a review. All the technology in the world can't fix the human element.

People complain that the human element is what makes the game, mistakes and all.

Then complain that with VAR there are mistakes due to human element.

Make sense of that.

Took two and a half minutes or something before Kane could take his penalty and it had nothing to do with VAR.

I know, which makes it hilarious when people complain about stoppages.

The game doesnt flow now, ever.

Play starts, player falls over, stop.

Play starts, player dives, stop.

Play starts, ball goes out of play, stop (if its a corner go put the kettle on)...

People complain that the human element is what makes the game, mistakes and all.

Then complain that with VAR there are mistakes due to human element.

Make sense of that.
People accept that there is a human element that makes the game mistakes and all, you are bringing something in that changes / disrupts the game so its expected that these mistakes are removed otherwise the good does not outweigh the bad.

perfect sense.

The game is disrupted anyway. VAR really isnt adding anything in that respect. If a decision is debatable, how long to players spend arguing with and crowding the ref?

At least with VAR the decision is more conclusive. And yes, while mistakes are still made, they are significantly reduced.

Usage of VAR in this World Cup have been a bit confusing so far. Don't think they have explained in detail how it works. We are always shown a room full of video assistants far away in Moscow. We are not sure of their function or even if they are communicating with the match referee. Every time it is the referee who goes and watch a video screen in the stadium before making a decision. They also always miss many clear cut penalties like England V Tunisia and Serbia v Switzerland. It seems like everyone have their own interpretation of the VAR.

Usage of VAR in this World Cup have been a bit confusing so far. Don't think they have explained in detail how it works. We are always shown a room full of video assistants far away in Moscow. We are not sure of their function or even if they are communicating with the match referee. Every time it is the referee who goes and watch a video screen in the stadium before making a decision. They also always miss many clear cut penalties like England V Tunisia and Serbia v Switzerland. It seems like everyone have their own interpretation of the VAR.

We still need to know if the VAR team is communicating with the referee and the reason why certain decisions are made. It seems like the match commentators always have their own interpretation. At this moment, we are not sure if the referee is even listening to the VAR team. For example, why were the penalty not given for Serbia despite their player being fouled by 2 Switzerland players ? Everyone in the world can see it was a clear penalty but why didn't the referee and the VAR team ? Now there is a chance of the VAR team and the match referee making a biased decision against a team they don't like.

We still need to know if the VAR team is communicating with the referee and the reason why certain decisions are made. It seems like the match commentators always have their own interpretation.* At this moment, we are not sure if the referee is even listening to the VAR team. For example, why were the penalty not given for Serbia despite their player being fouled by 2 Switzerland players ? Everyone in the world can see it was a clear penalty but why didn't the referee and the VAR team ? Now there is a chance of the VAR team and the match referee making a biased decision against a team they don't like.**

*I've found the problem.

**Thats always been the case.

I think they should do like in field hockey where the video and audio communication between the referee and video assistant is shown live and the video assistant is then allowed to inform of his decision live as well. This way everyone will know of the reason behind the decisions. Now we won't know if the referee is refusing to listen to the VAR team or not.

Does rugby union have the communications broadcast around stadia? I know TV can hear it and people could buy earplug-ins that carried ref commentary but don't think it is transmitted live. Cricket shows pictures but nothing audio.

Think if all communication is recorded (as with F1) so it can be called into account or scrutinized if a dodgy betting pattern emerges or a formal complaint is made but actually the fans don't need to be in that loop IMO and if you still take in what commentators dribble on about then more fool you.

I think they should do like in field hockey where the video and audio communication between the referee and video assistant is shown live and the video assistant is then allowed to inform of his decision live as well. This way everyone will know of the reason behind the decisions. Now we won't know if the referee is refusing to listen to the VAR team or not.

I agree that the audio should be made available to broadcasters.

At least with VAR the decision is more conclusive. And yes, while mistakes are still made, they are significantly reduced.

Whats the stats so far on successfully reviewed decisions? In that I mean decisions the Ref got wrong that were overturned?

There have been a number of decisions VAR has missed, we have had 2 in one England game alone which were not debatable were both pure penalties. I would imagine the decisions correctly overturned are pretty much on par with the things missed, which for me is a huge hole in the system and why it was introduced.

Good idea, badly implemented, BADLY

There have been a number of decisions VAR has missed, we have had 2 in one England game alone which were not debatable were both pure penalties. I would imagine the decisions correctly overturned are pretty much on par with the things missed, which for me is a huge hole in the system and why it was introduced.

Those decisions in the first England game have been referred to FIFA to review. It is a pilot at this World Cup, it was always going to take a while to bed in, hopefully they'll learn from any errors.

What we don't know is whether the VAR referees picked up on the fouls on Kane and whether the onfield ref overruled them. We do know that VAR did not affect the result though.

Those decisions in the first England game have been referred to FIFA to review. It is a pilot at this World Cup, it was always going to take a while to bed in, hopefully they'll learn from any errors.

What we don't know is whether the VAR referees picked up on the fouls on Kane and whether the onfield ref overruled them. We do know that VAR did not affect the result though.

My point has always been that you should not pilot this at a major competition when its still got teething problems in the domestic game.

On your last point it not affecting the result, thats not really the point is it? Additionally if the Ref does not give the pen and its a clear mistake the Ref can't overule the VAR and say he does not want it looked at.

Anyone heard anything about how they're proposing to organise it in the PL next season? Localised setups with laptops or something at each ground, or will they try and have it managed centrally in a dedicated studio?

Anyone heard anything about how they're proposing to organise it in the PL next season? Localised setups with laptops or something at each ground, or will they try and have it managed centrally in a dedicated studio?
I was thinking this wouldn't work because of all the 3pm KOs, but the way it's going, they're trying to get every game to KO at a different time. What's happening today with two games at the same time?

It's not being used in the PL next season. It was voted against. Trials will continue in the league and FA cups.

Back