• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Its not just about the money though. A lot said the same about Walker, but we lost our best full back and strengthened one of our rivals' weaknesses. We would be doing exactly the same with Man U.....

I guess none of them really know,but that would be nice....

I always “fear the worst” in these situations and if the worst is Utd for £75m which opens a door to getting Martial (you’d think but who knows...) then whatever, we’ll see what we do with the money.

Its not just about the money though. A lot said the same about Walker, but we lost our best full back and strengthened one of our rivals' weaknesses. We would be doing exactly the same with Man U.....

Its just the football food chain.
Players call the shots and the clubs get the best price.
Levy will do the best for the club.
Toby was never going abroad imho.

Walker hasnt strengthened CIty. His impact has been negligible. And honestly Im not exactly sure we have missed him much either.

Alderweireld would be a loss, for sure, but we just managed a pretty good season without him.

And, again, all the while Mourinho is at Utd his impact there wouldnt be as significant as you think. Mourinho sets the whole team up to defend, its easy on the CBs - Smalling and Jones, a pair of donkeys, conceeded only 28 goals in his set up. Is Toby going to change that much? I think not.

£75m is interesting though. I can imagine Poch would like the idea of that, considering Sanchez already covered Toby really well.

Walker hasnt strengthened CIty. His impact has been negligible. And honestly Im not exactly sure we have missed him much either.

Alderweireld would be a loss, for sure, but we just managed a pretty good season without him.

And, again, all the while Mourinho is at Utd his impact there wouldnt be as significant as you think. Mourinho sets the whole team up to defend, its easy on the CBs - Smalling and Jones, a pair of donkeys, conceeded only 28 goals in his set up. Is Toby going to change that much? I think not.

£75m is interesting though. I can imagine Poch would like the idea of that, considering Sanchez already covered Toby really well.

agree on all points, 75m on one player for united that we've not really missed this season, we'll turn that 75m into 2/3 players who will improve us

agree on all points, 75m on one player for united that we've not really missed this season, we'll turn that 75m into 2/3 players who will improve us

Thats how we work.

And its what has got us this far.

Id rather keep Alderweireld, if possible, but if he does go - Utd and £75m suits me fine. Much rather there than Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool where he would genuinely take them up a level.

Also, the good thing with dealing with Utd these days is you can write your own cheques. They are ridiculous.

VVD is £75m? Sets a very nice precedent, worlds most expensive defender too - I could see us getting £76m just so they can claim the title...

It's not £75m though, because £50m gets spent straight away on De Ligt. So it's £25m for in the short-term weakening our side.

We did this last summer - did Sanchez and Aurier make up for losing Walker and Wimmer? Short-term - no. Long-term - yes. But can we keep taking short-term hits like that.

It's not £75m though, because £50m gets spent straight away on De Ligt. So it's £25m for in the short-term weakening our side.

We did this last summer - did Sanchez and Aurier make up for losing Walker and Wimmer? Short-term - no. Long-term - yes. But can we keep taking short-term hits like that.

That's the way we roll!

I know,youve been consistent about stating Walker hasnt really made an impact for City I disagree but hey ho.

That is true regarding Man U already having a decent defence with average defenders, probably more down to De Gea than anything. I wasnt saying we shouldnt sell Toby, more that the comment '75m rip their hand off' is an attitude I dont think we should necessarily have. Id hope we are no longer in a situation where we have to sell our best players, so just because it is a good amount of money I wouldnt bite their arm off for the deal when in reality he is still our best defender (unless his injury proves to of really taken its toll on his long term performances which I doubt)....

He's our best defender, the Verts/Toby partnership has proved to be easily our most solid. Yes we buy potential but to date our only genuine world class player has been Kane, so its not like we have a long list of purhcases that have replaced our top stars we have lost. Sold Bale, other than Eriksen we didnt get anyone close to that level. Sold Modric, didnt get anyone in close to that level. Sold Walker, havent got anyone in close to his level yet (albeit I still have hopes for Aurier). All this we can buy 2/3 players normally means we are taking a couple of steps back first. Obviously our strength is in the collective and the way the team as a whole operates not relying on an individual. But I suggest actually maintaining some of our stars in their peak years would be better than replacing them with potential year after year. That is definitely part of the reason why we fall short, and the new stadium Im sure is going to partly help us out in this aspect....

Its not £25m, its £75m and then whatever we choose to do with it.

If thats De Light, then fine, could be someone else entirely. Point is, it will go to strengthening the team/squad as it always does.

And given he has basically not played all season, is it as big a hit? Effectively he has been replaced - we would be looking to replace the squad option that was vacated but Sanchez promoting to 1st team regular.

Now, if it were Vertonghen, off the back of the season he has just had? Whole other conversation...

I know,youve been consistent about stating Walker hasnt really made an impact for City I disagree but hey ho.

That is true regarding Man U already having a decent defence with average defenders, probably more down to De Gea than anything. I wasnt saying we shouldnt sell Toby, more that the comment '75m rip their hand off' is an attitude I dont think we should necessarily have. Id hope we are no longer in a situation where we have to sell our best players, so just because it is a good amount of money I wouldnt bite their arm off for the deal when in reality he is still our best defender (unless his injury proves to of really taken its toll on his long term performances which I doubt)....

I genuinely do not know on what grounds you think he has improved them, but - regardless - they finished 23 points ahead of us. With or without Walker, they were never competition to us.

Anyway - fact is, despite our improvement, we are still in a position where we need to sell to buy.

I think we will add to the pot, I dont think this will be a net spend 0 kind of window, but I still think £75m on a player (who allegedly wants to leave and will be worth 1/3 that in a year) is money we have to consider.

And for us £75m goes a long way. Particularly if we add some £££ to the pot. As well as additional sales (theres always some, and we always get good money on them). We could easily end up with £150m+ to spend on players. Selling Toby contributes massively to that, all while we wont miss him anything like as much as if he had played all season.

Back