• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

If we need to sell him there's plenty of rich clubs on the continent who can't defend for brick, should have them queuing up.

what do you do in a situation whereby he's only interested in joining City(for example)?

Throw 20-30m away and let him join them for a reduced fee next season...

I agree with the sentiment but let's not kid ourselves that the above makes any sense - if clubs from abroad are in for him and he's happy to go there instead then sure, but he's his own man and we can't force him to go somewhere he doesn't want to go

Seems a little unlikely tbh, if, say, the Spanish big boys are in for him I don't really see why anywhere else in England would be any more appealing.

If he did want to hold out for someone specific like that, in England, I'd let him. It'd be his career he's wasting, and a year down the line the grass might not look quite so green (if it was Emirates Marketing Project, Pep might've been brick canned by then after another half billion and another dismal CL failure).

what do you do in a situation whereby he's only interested in joining City(for example)?

Throw 20-30m away and let him join them for a reduced fee next season...

I agree with the sentiment but let's not kid ourselves that the above makes any sense - if clubs from abroad are in for him and he's happy to go there instead then sure, but he's his own man and we can't force him to go somewhere he doesn't want to go

I'm with you on this. We can't worry about others or have hard and fast rules. We know Levy is no fool, and he will ensure that if we are selling to a rival club we will need to get further compensation. But to rule it out in totality is short sighted and actually not effective for us. I would imagine that PSG and some of the spanish clubs would be interested, but outside of them, who would be able to offer the £180k wages. It's not that big a pool of clubs that can. Waiting another year with an unhappy player and then selling at a big discount doesn't seem to be the right thing to do, unless the offers that we get are paltry.

I don't see where Levy or Poch has taken this personally. If Toby or his agents want to play hardball, they can't expect us not to either. Same goes in reverse. Thankfully in this situation we have another defender to ensure that we are not feeling the effects that badly. In a perfect world Toby will stay and we can move on, but if he leaves then we know it will only be on our terms. We have got by pretty well without him, and that money could be used to bring in another talent.

I'd rather we not sell him to a league rival, but if that is the best offer then so be it. We've missed Walker this season, but have we missed him to an extent that would mean we depart from our principles? I don't think so, and it is principles that Poch is instilling in this team.

My gut says that we won't get an answer to this till after the World Cup. I think we will have more foreign clubs interested in him than we had with Walker, because he has proven that he can settle in a new league. Plus, it is likely going to be his final contract.

I believe it is done mate. It would be awful for the club to go into the close season not knowing. We have plans and contingencies and given that it is a world cup year, I expect those to be locked in. Even if he u-turns and says he wants to resign, I believe he will be a squad player who has to win his place back. But even that is wishful. I think it is done personally...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

If you think selling Toby to one of the Manchester clubs (both of whom have a dire need for a top class CB) and potentially strengthening a title rival then fair enough.

I thought selling Rose and getting both Martial and some money would have been a real Levy-deal. But that have little to do with Toby, so never mind.

I believe it is done mate. It would be awful for the club to go into the close season not knowing. We have plans and contingencies and given that it is a world cup year, I expect those to be locked in. Even if he u-turns and says he wants to resign, I believe he will be a squad player who has to win his place back. But even that is wishful. I think it is done personally...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

That wouldn't surprise me either as obvious similarities with the Walker situation. Having said that if the press are to be believed :eek: PSG may fall foul of FFP, in which case that may not be the eventual destination.

Maybe he is finally fit. Last time he played (Newport?) he looked awful.

Will be good to get some minutes into him. And Brighton, while decent, is about the perfect game for him to come back into.

Also means Sanchez will get a break, I assume, which wont be a bad thing either.

Back