• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Of course we are free to draw the line. But Levy can't take it personally if an agent or player tries to play him at his own game.

I think you can take it personally when it's a player already at the club and one you presumably trust as a key member of the squad, shaking hands saying done deal and then turning back on that, that's not faur play afaic - same way i would treat a job offer from a new company differently than i would a company i work for currently and have a working relationship with.

You can't just reduce these things down to such a simple black and white view to make a convoluted point about Levy being hypocritical, doesn't really stack up

If your point is at the most basic simple level of 'moving goal posts' then sure if you feel the need to have to find hypocrisy somewhere i guess there's enough to go on.

However a player already at the club negotiating, agreeing and giving his word that it will be signed only to then come back with higher demands isn't quite the same as two clubs who have no real relationship to one another negotiating a transfer.
Well yes, that was what I was saying.....

Isn't he famous for shifting the goalposts after deals have been agreed?

I would politely recommend not believing all you read in the media. Levy drives a hard bargain, for that he is renowned. He will have I dare say 'upset some' in doing so. But telling the media "he moves the goalposts" just 'maybe' a reaction from the other side involved in the negotiations, to show him (Levy) in a less than favourable light and vent their upset.

A deal is never done until its signed. Shaking hands is a social nicety but means bugger all. Levy has vast experience in such thing.
Poch may well, in my opinion correctly, be less than impressed with Toby "dingdonging" everybody around and I dare say may well have seriously blotted his copy book.

Of course we are free to draw the line. But Levy can't take it personally if an agent or player tries to play him at his own game.

Levy is fare to experienced with his record over the past years alone to take anything personally in business.
Put the pitch fork back in the barn!

I think you can take it personally when it's a player already at the club and one you presumably trust as a key member of the squad, shaking hands saying done deal and then turning back on that, that's not faur play afaic - same way i would treat a job offer from a new company differently than i would a company i work for currently and have a working relationship with.

You can't just reduce these things down to such a simple black and white view to make a convoluted point about Levy being hypocritical, doesn't really stack up

I agree they're not 100% the same but Levy's a hard negotiator and shouldn't be totally surprised when players or their agents try this tactic.

"I reminded the chairman of our gentleman's agreement when we were in Dubrovnik last summer and I agreed a contract extension with Tottenham," Modric told Sportske Novosti. "At that time, I had an open chat with Levy – that if a bigger club came in with a concrete offer, we would consider it and agree the best solution for all concerned. Now Levy doesn't want to talk to me and said there is no possibility that I can leave Spurs."

But Chelsea aren't a bigger club, so stop your whining Luka!! ;o)

I agree they're not 400% the same but Levy's a hard negotiator and shouldn't be totally surprised when players or their agents try this tactic.

I think there's a difference between being a hard negotiator and treating the club that employs you and the manager that you are supposed to work well with/trust with a lack of respect - the rumour is that latter rather than the former. Not sure what any of this other stuff has to do with it tbh

"I reminded the chairman of our gentleman's agreement when we were in Dubrovnik last summer and I agreed a contract extension with Tottenham," Modric told Sportske Novosti. "At that time, I had an open chat with Levy – that if a bigger club came in with a concrete offer, we would consider it and agree the best solution for all concerned. Now Levy doesn't want to talk to me and said there is no possibility that I can leave Spurs."

But Chelsea aren't a bigger club, so stop your whining Luka!! ;o)

My exact point at the time. You said bigger, not richer.

Who said he has?
Who said Poch has?
People make decisions. Their decisions - and the routes to them-determine reactions. And all I know is that Poch and Levy have a plan from which they won’t deviate unnecessarily.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Facts are facts, but I still open this thread every day with the hope to see an official tweet from the club about Toby's contract extension.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind Martial. I was disappointed when he signed for manure.

Facts are facts, but I still open this thread every day with the hope to see an official tweet from the club about Toby's contract extension.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind Martial. I was disappointed when he signed for manure.

We shouldn't even entertain the prospect of selling Toby to a Premier League club unless we get something in return in addition to money like Martial.

I don't see where Levy or Poch has taken this personally. If Toby or his agents want to play hardball, they can't expect us not to either. Same goes in reverse. Thankfully in this situation we have another defender to ensure that we are not feeling the effects that badly. In a perfect world Toby will stay and we can move on, but if he leaves then we know it will only be on our terms. We have got by pretty well without him, and that money could be used to bring in another talent.

I'd rather we not sell him to a league rival, but if that is the best offer then so be it. We've missed Walker this season, but have we missed him to an extent that would mean we depart from our principles? I don't think so, and it is principles that Poch is instilling in this team.

My gut says that we won't get an answer to this till after the World Cup. I think we will have more foreign clubs interested in him than we had with Walker, because he has proven that he can settle in a new league. Plus, it is likely going to be his final contract.

Back