• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Not sure what you mean about bias when there are a lot of anti-Lamela posts here. The fact is, Llorente is the striker, not Lamela. And why didn't the others like Son not trying to score in this occasion ? Goal scoring is not one of Lamela's strengths at Spurs as he is known more for his work rate, creativity, tenacity and defensive duties. Blame it on Spurs jinx for always turning regular goal scorers like Dembele, Lamela and Llorente into non-goal scorers. As a result, we are left with only 4 goal scorers in Kane, Alli, Son and Eriksen. Of our goal scorers, Kane has not been at his best recently, Son only scores great goals, Alli has not scored in 15 matches and Eriksen only scores once in a blue moon.

Genuine question, are you Lamela's dad?

Goal scoring is not one of Lamela's strengths at Spurs as he is known more for his work rate, creativity, tenacity and defensive duties.

So you agree that its a weakness in Lamela's game?
He plays in the front 3 behind Kane. Its his responsibility to score more goals. Eriksen, Son & Alli have all at some stage scored a significant number of goals in a season for Spurs. Lamela is the odd man out and hasn't yet delivered.

So you agree that its a weakness in Lamela's game?
He plays in the front 3 behind Kane. Its his responsibility to score more goals. Eriksen, Son & Alli have all at some stage scored a significant number of goals in a season for Spurs. Lamela is the odd man out and hasn't yet delivered.

Park Ji Sung never got over 10 goals in a season for Manchester United, but his work rate allowed the others to grab the headlines. Its unbelievable that people look purely at goals scored stats and completely ignore the rest of a players game and what they contribute.

Park Ji Sung never got over 10 goals in a season for Manchester United, but his work rate allowed the others to grab the headlines. Its unbelievable that people look purely at goals scored stats and completely ignore the rest of a players game and what they contribute.

True

But when people talk about playing an attacker because of his defensive attributes it’s the wrong way round

We don’t play Harry Kane because he is good at defending corners

I think the issue is that we look at players in a formation that is presented on a screen to us at the start of a game. In reality, players like Lamela may pop up as a RW in a formation, but he's more of a RCM at times. If Lamela is shown to be playing as RCM, we would have limited expectation of him delivering goals, and would not view him as an attacker in the same way we do Eriksen, Son, Alli.

This

Eriksen is No.1 in this respect.
But I also think Dele has been outstanding in this respect in 2018.

I think the issue is that we look at players in a formation that is presented on a screen to us at the start of a game. In reality, players like Lamela may pop up as a RW in a formation, but he's more of a RCM at times. If Lamela is shown to be playing as RCM, we would have limited expectation of him delivering goals, and would not view him as an attacker in the same way we do Eriksen, Son, Alli.

Lamela often gets into positions to get a shot away and turns the opportunity down OR he fails to beat the keeper (or even test them). He must improve his goal output because actually he does get into scoring positions but fails to deliver consistently. I thought it might come last season until he got injured. Hopefully it will come this season or next. Its definitely a "next level" development for him if he wants to be in the starting XI on a regular basis.

The key word is contribute

Every player should contribute within their role

We defend from the front and attack from the back (especially when Toby plays)

We can’t carry passengers and lazy players which is why Poch got rid of anyone that fitted that style

But... players in attacking roles have to contribute to that role, by key passes, assists and goals, hence why their the stats you look at. Otherwise you may as well look at distance run, tackles made and blocks... which are defensive stats you could argue

It's interesting that we've become a team that generates 20+ shots on goal per game. Even against the mighty Juve, we managed 23. I'd have killed for that a few years back!

Unfortunately they're not all good quality chances. Kane's shoot-on-sight policy is part of that. Look at all the tiny squares in this xG map:

DXt6yZdXcAEKLkG.jpg
(from Michael Caley's excellent Twitter account)

Still can't believe that Kane missed that chance from a tight angle after taking it past Buffon.

Perhaps it's a deliberate choice by Poch and the team, given that in Son, Kane and Eriksen we have three players with decent long range shots (except on Wednesday, unfortunately). Or maybe other teams have recognised that and adopt a "defend the box" policy that allows us to shoot from distance -- in most cases, the keeper saves easily or it goes off target, hence them regaining possession.

I still believe that, most of the time, 20+ chances will win you a game of football. And some of those will be a proper thumping. But what I think we're missing are those chaos-in-the-box goals that Liverpool and Arsenal seem to have always been good at. Maybe Moura will add some of that.

The key word is contribute

Every player should contribute within their role

We defend from the front and attack from the back (especially when Toby plays)

We can’t carry passengers and lazy players which is why Poch got rid of anyone that fitted that style

But... players in attacking roles have to contribute to that role, by key passes, assists and goals, hence why their the stats you look at. Otherwise you may as well look at distance run, tackles made and blocks... which are defensive stats you could argue

In his full seasons he and Eriksen have been our highest contributers in terms of assists key passes and chances created - goals obviously is something that he lacks but the way you talk is though he doesnt do anything other than defend from the front and work hard - that just isn't true, he has a good record in terms of creativity.

players in attacking roles have to contribute to that role, by key passes, assists and goals, hence why their the stats you look at.

It's a fair point, and I think his contribution is more in way of key passes alongside the defensive side, not to say he can't and shouldn't look to improve everywhere else.

I still believe that, most of the time, 20+ chances will win you a game of football.

I've been saying all season that we constantly let teams off the hook, especially recently (United finished 2-0 when it could have been 4/5, Arsenal 1-0 again could have been 4/5, Palace should've been put to bed much earlier). It was only a matter of time before we were going to pay for it in the CL. Its another lesson about being clinical and seizing moments in games. I'm sure this side will learn from that and continue to develop the attitude to really kill teams.

I love our style of play, if we're not going to have a plan B, we have to make sure that the plan A works as effectively as possible. Harry (scarily), can develop more and get even more clinical, as can our other players around him.

In his full seasons he and Eriksen have been our highest contributers in terms of assists key passes and chances created - goals obviously is something that he lacks but the way you talk is though he doesnt do anything other than defend from the front and work hard - that just isn't true, he has a good record in terms of creativity.

Yes he has had a good record
But not we have teams parking the bus is he the right option?

Perhaps it's a deliberate choice by Poch and the team, given that in Son, Kane and Eriksen we have three players with decent long range shots (except on Wednesday, unfortunately).

It is a definite policy, we do it far too freely for it not to be.

That said, while those players are good at those shots, its not the most reliable way to score.

I think its as much about the second ball if the shot is blocked/saved/rebounded as it is scoring. Just look at the number of runners going beyond the shooter when (eg) Kane lines one up.

Also, for a team that fannies about a lot outside the box, we also like playing in transition and trying to force transitions to suit our play. How often is the a direct ball through midfield to the forward line from our defence, for example?

I think this shoot on sight policy falls into this ethos as well, shooting when not expected, trying to find defenders off balance, force confusion...

Yes he has had a good record
But not we have teams parking the bus is he the right option?

Don't know about that - can't say i have broken things down enough to see if he isn't producing in one type of fixture versus another - the post i was responding to seemed to be talking in general terms rather than specifics though.which is why i replied.

Park the bus sides make it very difficult for creative passers to unlock the defense and id be surprised if many of our goals against those types of sides come via defense splitting passes - id imagine the expectation of players like Eriksen and Lamela in these games would be more on a short passing game trying to tease the opponents out of position to create pockets of space in dangerous areas.

Last edited:
It would be nice if the long-shots were on target, forcing the keeper to save or parry it out back into traffic, with the onrushing Alli / Eriksen / Son... I hate it when a shot goes wide, it is 99.999% of the time useless, even though it looks exciting.

Whenever I played in goal I would just think "PLEASE bloot it wide, PLEASE don't make me save it"

Back